Author Topic: Kevin Smith movies  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Kevin Smith movies
« on: August 11, 2003, 07:02 PM »
So who here's a fan of Kevin Smith's movies?  I've only recently really caught on to them, and absolutely die laughing every time I watch one now.  Jay is just one of the greatest characters ever.  I love his disguntingly foul mouth!  Obviously the plethora of Star Wars refences in these movies is just an added bonus to the all around amusing debauchery!

So I'm looking into adding all of the Kevin Smith movies into my DVD collection (the ones he wrote and directed, that is), but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any.  Here's the list of the ones I can recall off the top of my head.  Please let me know if I've missed any.  Thanks!

Clerks
Mallrats
Chasing Amy
Dogma
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Is that it?  So which of these great flicks are your favorites, and why?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Smith movies
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 07:12 PM »
Kevin Smith Directed a short called *The Flying Car* with Dante and Randal, for the Tonight show. You can download it from veiwaskew.com

I love the films.

Ill post more later lol.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 07:14 PM »

My favorite Kevin Smith movie (and possibly favorite movie of all time) is Clerks.  I worked retail as a teenager, so I really identify with it. Same with Mallrats, though I think that spoke to most of us slackers. I don't see why it got such a bad rap, it was genuinely funny.

Jay and Silent Bob is kind of a nice big inside joke for all of his fans, and a bunch of dick and fart humor for the American Pie generation.

Then there are the two more "Serious" movies, Chasing Amy and Dogma. I found Chasing Amy to be lacking in some of the qualities that make the rest of the movies great to me (junvenile humor maybe) but it's still a good flick.

Dogma.....I have to say, I don't really "get" religion, so I don't know whether this was educational, or over my head...but I liked it.

There are more movies, Check out viewaskew.com   I think it may be to your liking.
Got Clones?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 07:17 PM »
Vulgar the Clown.

NEVER EVER SEE THAT FILM.

:-X

Vile.

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2003, 11:23 PM »
Clerks is my favorite one.  Having worked retail, I can relate to a lot of it.

Dogma is my second favorite.  I think you have to be Catholic to truely apprciate how funny that movie is
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 03:14 AM »
I've got Clerks and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back on DVD, and hope to pick up those others when I catch them on sale, of which I've only seen Mallrats.  Still haven't seen Dogma or Chasing Amy yet, but hope to soon.  I love Smith's movies too, and you'd probably be surprised to learn of a few of the other movies he's been involved with as well.  Still trying to convince my wife to watch Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but so far she's not biting...

On a related note, I'm exactly 1 day older than Kevin Smith, who was born on August 2, 1970...   :P

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 07:03 AM »
Have them all, love them all.  I really don't have a favorite, which probably means the one I'm watching at any particular moment is my favorite.

And don't forget the Clerks Animated Series.  This was supposed to be a series on ABC.  ABC showed only two episodes (out of sequence, no less) and then pulled the plug.  All episodes made are on the 2 disc set.  Its not as vulgar as the movies because of the restrictions of prime time TV, but still funny nonetheless.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2003, 07:12 AM »
Clerks is my favorite of his movies, but I also liked Mall Rats a lot.  There really isn't one movie that he's done that I don't like.
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2003, 03:53 PM »
For me they go in order of release, Clerks just is a great movie, great little in jokes and while acting sucks, you don't care because you can relate.  It sorta goes down hill from there because J and SB become bigger characters which they need not be...

Good movies all of them Dogma was a little too out there for me though

Virex

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2003, 04:17 PM »
Kevin Smith's movies don't do anything for me.  I've got them all on DVD, I've seen them all a few times each (Chasing Amy just last week, actually).  I just don't find them funny, as a whole.  This is not to say that there aren't funny lines, or funny scenes, or funny characters, because there are.  And I appreciate the fact that Kevin Smith's a fellow Star Wars fan, and works in several Star Wars references into each of his films.

My main problem with Smith probably is with his dialogue.  I just find that the conversations the characters have (save Jay and Silent Bob) sound incredibly self-conscious and convoluted, and are nothing like how most people talk in real life.  Way too wordy, like Smith is just sticking big words in there or something.  Just doesn't seem realistic to me, and I can't get past it.

One day, I'll get into why I can't stand Smith himself. . .   :D

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2003, 04:26 PM »
My main problem with Smith probably is with his dialogue.  I just find that the conversations the characters have (save Jay and Silent Bob) sound incredibly self-conscious and convoluted, and are nothing like how most people talk in real life.  Way too wordy, like Smith is just sticking big words in there or something.  Just doesn't seem realistic to me, and I can't get past it.

Thats the Grand Humor of it All.

Thats the main point. Jay and Silent Bob are these two "stoner *****" who are always baked, and once in a blue they come up with these wonderful ideas, that work.

Dante and Randal, two Disgruntled clerks...anyone who has worked with ANY people AT ALL...will know what they mean...

The rest of the gang...Substitute your friends in, and see how well you can relate. Thats what I do.

Kevin

Virex

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2003, 04:35 PM »

Thats the main point. Jay and Silent Bob are these two "stoner *****" who are always baked, and once in a blue they come up with these wonderful ideas, that work.

Dante and Randal, two Disgruntled clerks...anyone who has worked with ANY people AT ALL...will know what they mean...

The rest of the gang...Substitute your friends in, and see how well you can relate. Thats what I do.

Yeah, see, I knew it wouldn't be long before The Kevin Smith Fanboy Disciples started in on me, because the man can do no wrong.  I've got a friend here who's a paying member of the Kevin Smith Fan Club, and he's basically told me the same thing that you did.

I've worked retail, I've worked restaurants, so the ideas aren't lost on me.  I know what he's getting at, but I also know how I converse with people in real life, and none of my conversations have ever sounded like any conversation in a Kevin Smith movie.  To me, they sound fake, they ring hollow, and they smack of a man who can't come up with a decent plot to save his life, so he just throws a bunch of big words together to make his static characters sound more interesting than they really are.

I'm a heretic, I know.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 04:44 PM »

Yeah, see, I knew it wouldn't be long before The Kevin Smith Fanboy Disciples started in on me, because the man can do no wrong.  I've got a friend here who's a paying member of the Kevin Smith Fan Club, and he's basically told me the same thing that you did.

I've worked retail, I've worked restaurants, so the ideas aren't lost on me.  I know what he's getting at, but I also know how I converse with people in real life, and none of my conversations have ever sounded like any conversation in a Kevin Smith movie.  To me, they sound fake, they ring hollow, and they smack of a man who can't come up with a decent plot to save his life, so he just throws a bunch of big words together to make his static characters sound more interesting than they really are.

I'm a heretic, I know.

First off, I am not starting on you, nor am I a paying member of any fanclub.

Im just saying that I can relate, and I was just trying to give you an idea of HOW TO relate.

No harm done.

Kevin

Virex

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2003, 04:57 PM »

Im just saying that I can relate, and I was just trying to give you an idea of HOW TO relate.

No harm done.

Ah, yes.  Nothing quite like getting tips on how to appreciate self-described "dick-and-fart joke" movies better from a seventeen-year-old.

Next thing you know, I Like Yoda's gonna be telling us all what post-padding is. . .

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2003, 04:59 PM »

No harm done.

Ah, yes.  Nothing quite like getting tips on how to appreciate self-described "dick-and-fart joke" movies better from a seventeen-year-old.

Next thing you know, I Like Yoda's gonna be telling us all what post-padding is. . .

Dont say that too loud, he might here, and come and actually explain.

:p

Kevin