Author Topic: Only 2  (Read 4646 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Only 2
« on: November 26, 2012, 08:23 PM »
If there can be only 2 - a Sith Master and and apprentice why is Vader so eager to take Luke to the Emperor in ROTJ ?  Where would his part be if Luke would have fallen to the darkside and he would have lived?  Cleaning toilets?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Only 2
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 08:30 PM »
If there can be only 2 - a Sith Master and and apprentice why is Vader so eager to take Luke to the Emperor in ROTJ ?  Where would his part be if Luke would have fallen to the darkside and he would have lived?  Cleaning toilets?

I think Vader's offer of "We could rule the galaxy together as father and son" said it all... Vader would take Luke on as his apprentice after killing the Emperor, similar to how Palpatine killed Plaugiuis (sp?) and took on apprentices of his own.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:30 PM by Greg »

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 08:35 PM »
His plan was always to overthrow the emperor and "rule the galaxy as father and son." (EP V) But when Luke turned himself in on Endor he really was left with no choice than to let things play out, (I would assume they would both become marked men if they took off on a father and son retreat). It may be that the "good in him" had a plan all along and knew that the emperor could be overcome only with the battle and converting Luke going on at the same time to distract him.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 12:11 AM »
The Sith are always plotting against each other.  I think both Vader and Palp were eying up Luke to be their apprentice, and yeah, the odd man out would have been killed off.  Just like in AOTC when Palpatine gives up Dooku to push Anakin closer to the dark side.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 03:30 AM »
I agree, I think Palpatine was always looking at Vader suspiciously and Vader was always plotting to be the Master, and both were wanting Luke to be their new apprentice.

I think Palpatine would play of Luke's anger/hatred, and Vader would pull at Luke's bond to him as his son.  Ultimately Vader won, but for different reasons.  He won because he was swayed by Luke's selflessness, and dedication...  He saw someone confront Palpatine, to make things right, and saw Palps for what he was...  The tinge of Vader that was good saw that.  It was very briefly glimpsed on Endor when Vader and Luke had their talk.  It came to be when he felt the love and compassion for his son when he needed him most, and realized he could fight back too.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 03:31 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:00 PM »
Now what would be interesting is if Luke had fallen to the dark side and killed off Palps.  With the Sith being power hungry, how long would the Father/Son bond take priority over their own paranoia and selfishness?  Would Luke inevitably kill off Vader and try to recruit Leia? 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today