Author Topic: Jrnyfan's Custom plastic "Playsets"  (Read 19050 times)

Offline jrnyfan@nc.rr.com

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Jrnyfan's Custom plastic "Playsets"
« on: April 5, 2013, 07:34 AM »
So I gave up hope long ago that Hasbro would ever give me the playsets I want. So, I'm trying my hand at crafting my own using a plastic called Instamorph. Smooth-on type stuff was way out of my budget. I have no real art background and I haven't sculpted anything since I was in 4th grade (I'm now 36).

I have a wall of shelving and my goal is to create playsets that would fit in my shelf space and would give my figures worlds to inhabit, just as the old Kenner playsets used to. I want them to be constructed entirely of plastic - no foam, clay, and ideally no paint. While I'm certainly going for the spirit of the film, I'm not trying to create a inch-by-inch recreation of the set and shooting exteriors. Instead, I'm trying to create something that would come close to a "toy" (though I'm lacking in action features for now). Aside from furnishings and accessories, these playsets are one piece.

Of course, the more I work with the material, the better I get at manipulating it. Collecting SW since I was 4 in 1980, I also like to integrate allusions back to the vintage Kenner line wherever possible.

I'm currently creating "rough drafts" of my projects and letting them sit for a while, giving me time to contemplate how I'd like to finish them out... so none of these are considered "done" yet.

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Jrnyfan's Custom plastic "Playsets"
« Reply #1 on: April 5, 2013, 07:44 AM »
Hoth - Echo Base Playset

This was my first project. Wampa cave on the left; raised snowbank for Probot on back. Snow field in middle for Taun Tauns. Cave entrance leads to a small Han/Leia spat hallway. Interior has a spot for the Bacta chamber and a control room (which I already want to massively revise - I hadn't managed to get very flat sheets of the material at this point). Lookout spot on top. Shaped to fit nicely on the right side against the Hasbro trench playset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB6in8jI474&feature=youtu.be

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 5, 2013, 07:53 AM »
Cantina

My second project - a plastic version of Hasbro's cardboard Cantina playset. Left side includes an opening door that permits the droids to "hide." The bar is made by Hasbro and I've yet to glue all the sections together (Currently they're just scotch taped). I plan to integrate a sound module to play the cantina theme - that will go over the main entrance on the right. The foor was a nightmare and needs some cleaning up (maybe some form of border at the front to make it look a little more level). The exterior of the building also plays double duty as a Mos Eisley street (a nod to the Sears Cantina playset). Haven't started adding any decoration really to the exterior yet.

A few of the chairs I've made using the bright orange of the vintage playset. The distillery didn't turn out all that great, so plan on replacing that eventually.

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 5, 2013, 07:57 AM »
And third project - an Ewok Village. Endor is just starting, so this is just a bit of a "teaser" picture. Have to re-do the roof of the hut; it collapsed while hardening!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2013, 11:46 AM »
Wow!  These are amazing works of art dude!  I would totall buy any/all of these sets in the stores.  I didn't have a chance to check out the video, but definitely want to see how you went about this.  How long did they take you?  How did you get the colors?  That Ewok set in particular is awesome with the wood coloring and black rope ties.  Cool stuff man - thanks for sharing!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 5, 2013, 01:42 PM »
Thanks! I would buy them, too --- if Hasbro would give me some playsets to buy! The Ewok village took about 12 hours total. Instamorph sticks to some things, but not to others -- so it's tricky trying to find things I can use for patterns or to cast shapes. The trees were shaped around a cardboard papertowel roll. The hut was cast out of a steel bowl in my kitchen. The roof i simply used pinestraw smushed into the Instamorph to create the texture. The floor was tricky. I taped together a bunch of tiny wood craft "logs" - then created an Instamorph mold from that, and then cast the floor parts from the mold. The floor is about 9 cast pieces cut out and then reapplied together (to stick Instamorph together all you have to do is reheat the edges - no glue required!

I color the plastic using pigment ink stamp pads. You can see how it's done on the Instamorph website.

Best part of this stuff --- if I decide I don't like it, I can melt it all down and start again (though the color stays in the plastic).

Now building the "base" around the Ewok Village for the rest of Endor.

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2013, 01:45 PM »

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 5, 2013, 02:53 PM »
Put it on the shelf to give it time to rest until I have time to continue! Wow I need more room --- this Endor shelf is now way too cramped!

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 5, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Cool dios.  I can't believe Hasbro never put any out, missed opportunity Hasbro!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 9, 2013, 02:25 PM »
Hasbro is clueless.

Nice looking stuff, by the way.  I especially like the Endor one... of course, the cantina is awesome too.

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 9, 2013, 07:33 PM »
Thanks for the complements, guys! I'm certainly still a novice, but having a great deal of fun doing this!

I had made a rough draft of Dagobah, but I decided to melt it down and start again after I got my hands on a vintage one. Cast a few parts and it starts to shape a new one!

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Okay Dagobah is wrapped up for now! I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out. Interior features a stump table cast from the vintage playset. Vines on the right lead to Vader's cave. The two rocks are removable accessories and one fits on top of the other. The log on the ground is removable, as is Yoda's entire tree-hut.

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Just for fun...

Offline no-wan

• Youngling
  • I Warn You Not to Under Estimate my Power !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 09:00 PM »
Very Nice.. Am Much Impressed !!  ;D
The New Sandcrawler Workshop

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 05:06 PM »
Expanding the Endor / Ewok village. Also pictured are the removable accessories. The pile of logs can be rolled down the hill. The black is meant to be a "blasted" area - not sure if I like it, though. Standing alone it seems odd - but I needed to design it in this shape to fit well on the shelf it will be on. Will continue to evolve...