Author Topic: Disney Kills LucasArts  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Disney Kills LucasArts
« on: April 3, 2013, 02:21 PM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Kills LucasArts
« Reply #1 on: April 3, 2013, 11:57 PM »
I liked the Empire at War games they put out in 06-ish, and Battlefront was okay but yeah, they've come out with a lot of junk since the 2000's. Did anyone else play those terrible games based on Episodes I and III? Meh to me either way, I still bust out Shadows of the Empire and the first two Rogue Squadrons from time to time so Lucasarts will live on in my memory through those games.

Just wish I could find my X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter disc. It's here somewhere. ???
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2013, 03:51 AM »
Could probably get it for super cheap off Ebay...

Jedi Defender ran a good link to a story today on Social Media reminding fans just of what I'm saying here...  People are remembering Lucasarts fondly, but they're remembering LA from MANY years ago.  The company's largely contracted out most games since their golden age of PC games.

People can cite Force Unleashed and stuff, but were those games great?  Like I said, at one point LA was a gaming company that gave you compelling story and additional EU within a game, innovated a gaming genre rather than just making a Star Wars version of something that already existed, and they revolutionized some gaming platforms.

KOTOR was, to me, their last great hit...

I enjoyed other games.  Republic Commando, Bounty Hunter, all the Rogue Squad games, Force Unleashed...  But those games were really not very revolutionary.  Good stories maybe, but the company leading the way was dead after KOTOR, and again LA didn't really make KOTOR. 

X-Wing, TIE Fighter, XW: Alliance, Rebel Assault I & II, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight/MOTS, and even the Super Nintendo games were all fairly big changes, or truly original games for their format...

Hell, people didn't really like Force Commander, but it was ambitious, and it ultimately paved the way for 3-D RTS gaming when NOBODY was doing it.

Republic Commando was a LITTLE different, and kind of innovative...  It gets an honorable mention.  Graphically speaking, TFU made good use of its generation of consoles, but that was really it.  Bounty Hunter wasn't ground breaking but had good graphics for a GC game and compelling story.  Gameplay, average and covered no new turf.

The article JD's Twitter feed linked to ended with the LA people are lamenting died a long time ago though, and with that I totally 100% agree.  Even Battlefront was simply a Star Wars clone of Battlefield, to the point they barely changed the name and just slapped Star Wars: ahead of it...   :-\

I still look back at those old DOS games and early CD ROM games with a tear in my eye.  Those were games you were immersed in, and couldn't stop playing.  Geez, some have customizing communities STILL because updates to true Flight Sims for SW have never been done despite flight simulators coming out every year for PC's and today's machines being capable of insane stuff with that genre...  Star Wars sat idle.

Lucasarts has been dead for a lot longer than this week, people just didn't realize it.  My friend called them a company of smoke and mirrors, all the way back almost 10 years ago, and I agree with him.  Lots of big promises and no deliveries.  Inept management.  Shoddy product often times when it maybe finally did make it out.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2013, 03:52 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 5, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Waiting for Disney to cancel the sequels and shut down Lucasfilm entirely. WE ONLY BOUGHT IT TO DESTROY IT!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: April 6, 2013, 01:21 AM »
The ultimate plan of Lucas all along!

Mock Jar Jar?  F You fanboys!  Bwahahaha
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: April 6, 2013, 10:50 AM »
I just don't understand the angst about this,  LucasArts has been shut for a long time. As JJ said, a mutual acquaintance of ours with intimate knowledge of the situation said they have been crap for ever...business is business,Disney won

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 6, 2013, 05:10 PM »
I don't care that much, hadn't bought one of their games since TIE FIGHTER. It's just added to a growing list of Star Wars things Disney has ended/cancelled, is the Mouse cleaning house? Will all fansites using official images/logos be shut down by Disney's god-like legal team?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: April 7, 2013, 01:18 AM »
I think the last rue good game Lucasarts put out was Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy.  Fun games to play with excellent storylines.  The Dark Forces games are truly the best to come out of Lucasarts.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: April 8, 2013, 01:02 AM »
My last great love from them was probably Alliance...  I liked other games, but nothing caught me like Alliance did.

Outcast and moreso Academy were good games though.  They never were as good as Jedi Knight and MOTS were though, to me.  They were more clones...  Academy really stepped it up a bit though and took you inside that idea of the Jedi Order being reborn.  No game ever touched that before, or since.