Author Topic: Windows XP - HELP!  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Windows XP - HELP!
« on: August 11, 2003, 07:34 PM »
I've been getting this message for some reason :

Windows must now restart because the remote procedure call service terminated unexpectedly.

My laptop then re-boots, only to get the same message later. This is driving me crazy. I think my neighbor's grandkids downloaded a virus or something, but I don't know.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Windows XP - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 08:34 PM »
Brad, what exactly are you doing just before you get that error message?  What programs do you have open when that happens?
dustrho

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 08:55 PM »
I've been getting this message for some reason :

Windows must now restart because the remote procedure call service terminated unexpectedly.

My laptop then re-boots, only to get the same message later. This is driving me crazy. I think my neighbor's grandkids downloaded a virus or something, but I don't know.

Any help is appreciated.

I was reading something about a virus over at RS from Boba Fitt but he deleted the post for some reason.  It sounds like you got that virus.  I'm sorry I can't help you any.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 08:30 AM »
I have Windows XP & I have not come across this before.
Yes there was a post over at RS yesterday about a virus & it may sound like you got it. I found a report on CCN about it.

Internet infection spreads rapidly

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 12:55 PM »
You should be able to download a patch from Cnet. I don't think it's linked in that article above, but here is a site with everything you need to know.

http://news.com.com/2009-1002_3-5062485.html?tag=fd_lede1_hed
Got Clones?

Offline Boba Fitt

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 06:34 PM »
I work for Microsoft Technical Support and the problem is that there is a virus affecting the Remote Procedure Call service. It is forcing it to shut down the computer. To fix it, do the following:

Step 1:

- disconnect your computer from the internet (unflug the ehternet cable)
- right click MY COMPUTER, choose MANAGE
- at the bottom is SERVICES AND APPLICATIONS. Double click it.
- under it you will see SERVICES. Highlight it.
- on the right side of screen find REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL
- double click it and then choose the third tab, RECOVERY
- on the recovery is the button that says RESTART COMPUTER OPTIONS
- change the number to a higher number than 1 (like 30 for example)
- apply, the OK

Step 2: (ONLY IF NOT A DIAL UP MODEM CONNECTION)

- Click Start, Control Panel, then Network Connections
- Right click the High Speed internet icon and choose PROPERTIES
- On the third tab, ADVANCED, make sure the first box is checked
- This activates the built in firewall
- Click ok then restart the machine. While restarting, plug your ethernet cable back in.

Step 3:

- download the file to fix it here:

http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2354406C-C5B6-44AC-9532-3DE40F69C074&displaylang=en

The Firewall and this patch will fix the issue HOWEVER the virus is still on the machine but is not able to infect your machine anymore. Get some virus updates or go to housecall.antivirus.com

good luck!

If anyone has any XP questions, drop me a line!

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 06:55 PM »
I've got a question regarding XP for you. Nothing to do with the virus issue, but I need some help networking my Windows XP Pro machine with the 98 machine. I am no computer novice ;) but I can not seem to get these two communicating. You can ping each machine from the opposite but neither show up in Network Neighborhood. I had them working fine a while back but had to reformat the XP machine and lost everything. I have even installed the NetBEUI interface and can not get anything. I am embarrassed to ask a question about basic Microsoft networking, but this is just driving me crazy. Thanks for the help!

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2003, 07:11 PM »
So, this may be a really lame answer...but it'll work.

Get a floppy disk and run the home networking setup wizard on your XP machine. Then, take that disk and make your win98 machine a client.

9 times out of 10, if you've tried everything else it's time to finally bite the bullet and run that stupid wizard.
Got Clones?

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2003, 07:33 PM »
Thanks for responding Josh, I appreciate the input. I have tried that disk, but prefer to manually change my settings so I know that they are exact. I have a networking and computer background and just for the life of me can't get it working. Sad really...

Offline Boba Fitt

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2003, 08:21 PM »
I've got a question regarding XP for you. Nothing to do with the virus issue, but I need some help networking my Windows XP Pro machine with the 98 machine. I am no computer novice ;) but I can not seem to get these two communicating. You can ping each machine from the opposite but neither show up in Network Neighborhood. I had them working fine a while back but had to reformat the XP machine and lost everything. I have even installed the NetBEUI interface and can not get anything. I am embarrassed to ask a question about basic Microsoft networking, but this is just driving me crazy. Thanks for the help!

How are they connected? NetBEUI can't be used with a router. Install IPX/SPX on both and lemme know. If you go to the run command and put two backslashes then the other PC's IP address, what happens?

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2003, 10:59 PM »
Problem solved. Let's just say:

Chris + Firewall = MORON

NetBEUI DOES in fact work with a router, I have done it before. My software firewall was blocking my connections. Why I didn't think of this before, I don't know. I feel pretty stupid, but am glad the problem is solved. I deleted my NetBEUI protocol on the XP and 98 for security reasons, but everything is working. Thanks for the help.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2003, 02:37 AM »
The same thing was happening to me,until my sis fixed it.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2003, 03:31 PM »

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2003, 03:40 PM »
I have my prized XP Pro machine locked out very well, if I do say so myself. A tweaked hardware router, software router, active and updated virus detection program, and all of the latest Windows patches. Our web server should not be affected itself, as it runs on Unix, not Windows server. The only problem I could see happening is that network traffic becomes congested, then we may have slower load times, but that is if things get bad.

Everyone should update their virus detection programs and have a software and/or hardware firewall to stay protected.