Author Topic: Are you ready for yearly Star Wars films?  (Read 11358 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Are you ready for yearly Star Wars films?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 04:28 PM »
Hmmm...

Yes, yes I am ready.  And I'm ready to go into them with just an open mind and either enjoy or not, based on them by themselves, and not let them impact how I feel about the OT, or PT, or any other T.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 07:03 PM »
Awesome.  The only bumer is that I'm going to be out like $200 in Star Wars movie tickets over the next five years.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:48 PM »
I'm ready.  Like Jesse, I'm ready to just take them in an enjoy them (or not).  That's one thing I really took away from the initial announcement back during the Disney news breaking is that new Star Wars movies might go on and on, and outlive all of us now.  It will become such a larger franchise, and everyone will have their favorites - much like Bond, Trek, Marvel, etc.  I know, most likely, the OT will always be "my" Star Wars - no matter how much I may or may not enjoy what is coming up.  I'm looking forward to it all personally.  More Star Wars (and new Star Wars) on the big screen?  Yes please.  It really sounds like they want a Marvel-ish approach with this, where they can have a big tentpole movie every year with the SW brand now.

I have to admit, I also thought about it from the collecting prospective too.  It could really change the way things are run going forward, starting in 2015 at least.  If we're getting a new movie each year, the line could conceivably rebrand each year to tie in with the movie, or maybe they'll have one "Saga" collection and one focusing on the new stuff.  It is difficult to say, and will Hasbro even be the producer for everything?  We'll see.  I know I'll most likely be buying some of it, and if I get into it big, space is really going to start becoming a concern.  I can't imagine what completists are thinking, I think I'd be crying thinking of trying to grab everything from a constant stream of movie lines until....forever :).  Anyways, it is exciting news either way.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Bring it!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 09:29 PM »
I got a couple local buddies with 4 and 5 year old boys...  I envy them.  It's good timing.

I think that's the guys who should be most excited are the ones with lil kids.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 11:10 PM »
So, Disney decides to kill all other SW related entertainment for the 2-3 years to drum up some hunger for the new movies, but then all concern about manufacturing anticipation goes out the window and they're ready to crank em out relentlessly like a new line of cars each year?

Don't get me wrong, I love having new SW movies coming with some regularity, I just don't see how stuff like 1313 and the Clone Wars show were really going to mute the impact of the ST as far as a pop culture phenomemon. They should have left that stuff alone or better yet used it as a platform to set the stage for the next stories.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 11:37 PM »

Count my family in.  My boys are 8 & 9 and cannot wait for the new movies.  They are about as excited as I am...   ;)
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 04:12 AM »
I think CW basically got canned so the same people could be moved to a new project...  more or less...  Filoni is already reportedly on the next animated project, so I'd guess that's partly why Clone Wars was sort of wrapped up as best it could be.

1313 I think may very well happen.  I think rumors of its total demise are overstated...  It may not be any good but I think it might still yet come out just a little later while it goes through the rumored changes.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 12:11 PM »
Star Wars XI: The Search for More Money.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 12:36 AM »
I got a couple local buddies with 4 and 5 year old boys...  I envy them.  It's good timing.

I have mixed feelings about this.  The part that thinks it's great is in line with you Jesse...my Son will be old enough to go to these movies and I'll be able to take my son to see Star Wars in the theater.

On the otherhand, I'm afraid that oo many people are going to have their hands on these, I wasn't fond of GL just surrounding himself with yes men, but too may people having input might be just as detrimental.  Also, with so much coming out, it might actually be too much.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline bigj22

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 04:44 PM »
what exactly is a standalone film?

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 08:37 PM »

i was figuring it is basically a movie following one of the characters we know (rumoured Han or Boba or Yoda) and putting them into an all new storyline, completely unrelated to anything in prior films or the future trilogy. Also having an all new cast of new supporting characters.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 11:30 PM »

i was figuring it is basically a movie following one of the characters we know (rumoured Han or Boba or Yoda) and putting them into an all new storyline, completely unrelated to anything in prior films or the future trilogy. Also having an all new cast of new supporting characters.

I don't know if it needs to have all those constraints.  I think its simply planned as one-and-done instead of having sequels.  Star Wars movies have always been grouped as trilogies, so the stand-alones can act as a complete story on their own, really focusing on any aspect of Star Wars.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 09:18 AM »
I'm looking at them as side quests. The places in a game were you have to go retrieve a object from a dungeon to give to a town person in order to get a better sword.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours