Author Topic: 3D Printers  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
3D Printers
« on: May 3, 2013, 01:42 PM »
I'm just wondering if someone has tried to use a 3D printer to make custom pieces. Staples has just started selling a 3D printer on their web site. They are still expensive but could be interesting.

http://www.staples.com/Cube-3D-Printer-Blue/product_201880
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Printers
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2013, 10:04 AM »
A company called 3D Systems will take a picture of your face and put it on a Star Trek figure for $70. The figure is in full color using a new ink jet technology. Now they need a Star Wars license.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/07/3d-systems-star-trek/#continued
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 10:43 AM »
Dusting off this thread because there have been significant developments in 3D printing.  Printers are much more affordable now.  The quality of the prints has improved.  And there are numerous creators that have been designing files to be purchased or shared throughout the collecting community.

Has anyone else taken the plunge here?  I've been really taken by some items that people have designed.  Some that immediately come to mind?
-The Armorer's Forge
-Crates
-Small vehicles

And I found one printer that has caught my attention.  If anyone has experience with this one, or might recommend another?  I'd definitely like to hear some informed opinions:
Official Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D Printer with Removable Build Surface Plate and Branded Power Supply, FDM 3D Printers for DIY Home and School Printing Size 8.66x8.66x9.84 inch
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 11:38 AM »
I picked up the Ender 3 a couple of months before the 3 Pro came out, mostly because of stars in my eyes.

Short story -- it's still boxed up.  :-X

I've downloaded a lot of files from Tinkercad and plan to print them eventually. There are a lot of really nice models that i doubt Hasbro will ever green light. I've even thought about getting a small resin printer for the figures. But first things first...

Correction: Oops, that's Thingiverse, not Tinkercad.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 01:58 PM by Jedi Idej »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: November 8, 2023, 02:29 AM »
I've really wanted to get one, but we don't have a great place for one right now and it wasn't in the budget for a while. I think I may take the plunge in 2024, and custom figures, vehicles, & dioramas are all definitely at the top of my list of potential projects.
"This is the way."