Author Topic: Update to Sansweet's Action Figure Archive book finally?  (Read 13375 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: Update to Sansweet's Action Figure Archive book finally?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 09:45 AM »
We hung out most of the con and I couldn't count the number of times people asked if Paul was Dan or Dan was Paul. It was quite funny.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 08:50 PM »
I received "Star Wars: The Ultimate Action Figure Collection" book via Amazon today, and it really is pretty spiffy.  I always wanted to get one of these books, but sort of missed the boat on Sansweet's earlier version (as well as the vintage action figure book that came out a year or two back).  This really is a nice reference, and fun to look at.  My daughter and I were flipping through it today, and counted 90 Luke Skywalker figures in there, nuts.  Seeing all the figures in front of you like that makes you realize just how much we've gotten in this line.  All the clonetroopers, holy cow.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 09:35 PM »
I'd think that would make me just be less interested in collecting, rather than more.

I look at my "retired" boxes, and that alone is enough for me to be disgusted sometimes.  Add in that I don't even have EVERYTHING because in 2002 I awoke from my Hasbro coma and realized 90% of what they were making was pure ****, and I can only imagine if I HAD bought it all since that year.  I'd be twice as disgusted as I am now with some of my purchasing choices.

Hasbro actually made it a point of pride for me NOT to have a complete collection.  With Kenner, it was the other way around.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 08:29 AM »
I got my copy too.  One thing that really popped out at me...they really struggle on Emperor Palpatine/Sidious figures...man there is some awful awful crap in those pages.

Really like what I have seen so far.  Just a few minor nits to pick...the first book was done Chronologically and while it was a hard call to make, it's too bad the next one couldn't have picked up in 99 and went on in the same order.  That book also had a lot more detail and bigger movie pics which added to the appeal to me at least.

Well worth it and a perfect gift for any collector...nice job all around

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 04:50 PM »
I'd think that would make me just be less interested in collecting, rather than more.

I look at my "retired" boxes, and that alone is enough for me to be disgusted sometimes.  Add in that I don't even have EVERYTHING because in 2002 I awoke from my Hasbro coma and realized 90% of what they were making was pure ****, and I can only imagine if I HAD bought it all since that year.  I'd be twice as disgusted as I am now with some of my purchasing choices.

Hasbro actually made it a point of pride for me NOT to have a complete collection.  With Kenner, it was the other way around.

I kind of felt that way too, looking at some of it.  Granted, I don't have "all" of any of those figures as far as I know, and certainly don't have all 90 Lukes shown, but probably have at least 40-50 of them I'm guessing (I didn't count), which is ridiculous.  I mean, if we all had the hindsight, we'd really just have the vintage version and the best modern version and be done, but that's just how things are I guess.  Like I said earlier, it is crazy how many versions we've gotten of some characters.  We've always made jokes about it on the forums, but actually seeing them all grouped together in print makes it that much more real.  Like you Jesse, I look at the giant box of "replaced" figures from my displays (that have since gone to our daughter) and the sheer amount of toys that have basically been outdated/replaced is kind of ridiculous.

Also agreed on the Palps/Sidious issue Scott, really some crap in those pages.  I enjoy soft goods and articulation, but I sometimes wonder if a figure like that might benefit from just really nailing the sculpt and letting a little bit of those other areas go.  I mean, in ROTJ, he really doesn't do anything more than sit and make "evil" hands when he shoots lightning :).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 05:17 PM »
The other thing I was going to say on going chronologically is that they could then do a volume 3 and 4 down the road instead of doing everything again 13 years from now (when I'll be in my 50s  :'()

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 12:21 PM »
My wife got me this for Valentine's Day, I was psyched. Looking forward to perusing this tonight...it's hefty.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy