Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels - Coming Fall 2014  (Read 45711 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Star Wars Rebels - Coming Fall 2014
« on: May 20, 2013, 10:10 AM »
New Animated Series Star Wars Rebels Coming Fall 2014

Production has begun on Star Wars Rebels, an exciting, all-new animated television series based on one of the greatest entertainment franchises of all time. Scheduled to premiere in fall 2014 as a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel, it will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.

Leading the development of the series is a creative team of exceptional talent. Screenwriter/producer Simon Kinberg (X-Men: First Class, Sherlock Holmes, Mr. & Mrs. Smith) is an executive producer on Star Wars Rebels and will write the premiere episode. He is joined by Dave Filoni as executive producer, who served as supervising director of the Emmy nominated Star Wars: The Clone Wars since 2008. Executive producer Greg Weisman brings with him a wealth of animation experience with credits such as Young Justice, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Gargoyles.

Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer, Disney Channels Worldwide, said, "The entire team at Lucasfilm has provided extraordinary creativity and innovation for over three decades, and we're thrilled to be bringing the expansive and imaginative world of Star Wars to Disney XD's viewers."

"I couldn't be more excited to explore new corners of the Star Wars universe," said Kathleen Kennedy, president, Lucasfilm. "I think Star Wars Rebels will capture the look, feel and fun that both kids and their parents love about Star Wars."

The action-filled series is set between the events of Episode III and IV -- an era spanning almost two decades never-before explored on-screen. Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape. Details about the show are a closely guarded secret at this point.

Star Wars Rebels will be produced by Lucasfilm Animation, featuring many of the key talents that made Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Fans attending Star Wars Celebration Europe will be the first to get an exclusive look at the new series. Casting will be announced at a later date. More information about this developing project will be found on StarWars.com and on Facebook at facebook.com/starwarsrebels.

Head on over to SW.com (link above) to check out the video with Dave Filoni...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Rebels - Coming Fall 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:20 AM »
This is a joke, right?

They cancelled Clone Wars for ANOTHER animated series!?!?

I won't hold my breath for the announcement on the supporting toy line.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 10:55 AM »
For those that hated The Clone Wars series (or at least never gave it a chance) hopefully the McQuarrie aesthetic and close-to-OT timeline will help placate them.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:49 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Isolated from Disney not wrapping up Clone Wars the right way, I think this sounds pretty cool.  Will have to wait and see, but I always thought this was really fertile ground that was not explored enough.  If they can have 500 battles in 2 years of clone wars, imagine what they can do with the time span between E3 and E4.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 08:17 PM »
So twenty years of clone troopers getting dumber with armor that can't ultimately stop an ewok's arrow. Vader becomes the new Grevious while getting outwitted by Yoda and Obiwan. Maybe Vader will find Asoka and train her as his new apprentice against the Emperor.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 08:46 PM »
At least it's not set between Episode 1 and Episode 2.

Maybe Starkiller will appear.

This seems like a natural progression, but CW needed a better ending.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 10:02 PM »
For those that hated The Clone Wars series (or at least never gave it a chance) hopefully the McQuarrie aesthetic and close-to-OT timeline will help placate them.

Quote that for truth!

This has me geeked...  honestly I'm just simply stoked for the era.  Lots of OT goodness possible.  Again a time of war and strife...  I'm hopeful they don't really have Yoda/OWK in it at all, but everything else is fair game for the most part...  I'd dig it if they showed "How Hannie Met Chewie", early rebellion stuff...  I'm excited for it really. 

For toys, I prefer realistic stuff that doesn't separate itself from the main line...  Not totally hopeful of that.  It was an LFL decree though, before.  Possible they won't be I guess now that things have changed dramatically.

Either way, I'm stoked...  Mon Mothma, Rebel Alliance, maybe seeing Z95's in Alliance service?  Early Y-Wing teardowns?  Wedge's join-up?  Boba Fett becoming the OT badass people love?  Vader kicking ass with Tarkin?  The Empire's grip growing but also how they pull the wool over others and make them believe in their overall message and cause?

I think it has a lot more potential than TCW did because it's largely unexplored and an obviously much broader era in terms of time.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 10:56 PM »
The show will focus on the Lucas sisters' and how Terr Taneel and Chi Eekway save the galaxy by forming the Rebellion (we'll retcon Mon Mothma out of Jedi).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 11:12 PM »
Had a mean ass comment to make and I'm going to just refrain.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 11:53 PM »
Had a mean ass comment to make and I'm going to just refrain.

Awww...you are like me when posting at JTA.

How exactly is a piece of recently made cardboard worth $90?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 12:53 AM »
Can't get excited for this, mainly because I don't get Disney XD.

If it's as good as the first few seasons of Clone Wars though, I'll snag the DVD/Blu-Ray
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 08:12 AM »
Can't get excited for this, mainly because I don't get Disney XD.

If it's as good as the first few seasons of Clone Wars though, I'll snag the DVD/Blu-Ray

I don't get Dizzy XD, either. They put Clone Wars episodes online after they aired...of course that was before the Dark Times Disney buy-out.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:12 AM by Scockery »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 09:13 AM »
Hopefully they don't treat the show like the did Tron Uprising. That show was on at weird times and never in order. It was impossible to follow the story.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 04:12 PM »
I don't believe I get this channel either, which blows, but I'm sure it'll be online in some capacity...  would rather watch it on TV though.

I suppose I should look harder to see if I DO get this channela nd just don't know it because before this announcement I had dignity, no kids, and never watched a Disney channel ever.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 05:11 PM »
I suppose I should look harder to see if I DO get this channela nd just don't know it because before this announcement I had dignity, no kids, and never watched a Disney channel ever.

I have four kids, so one of the Disney channels (Disney, Disney Junior, Disney XD) is usually on at some point during the day, especially on the weekends.   ::)

As long as Disney doesn't feel the need to work in some of their "disney talent" tween boys/girls in voice roles and/or singing/musical numbers, I'm thinking it will do OK. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender