Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels - Coming Fall 2014  (Read 45702 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Rebels - Coming Fall 2014
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 08:56 PM »
I have four kids, so one of the Disney channels (Disney, Disney Junior, Disney XD) is usually on at some point during the day, especially on the weekends.   ::)

Just one kid here, but the same story.  We've always got one of the Disney channels on throughout the day (not to mention Nick, CN and Boomerang).  I've actually watched Disney XD before anyways, due to them having the Marvel cartoons the past few years.  As far as the new 'toon, I'm pretty excited for it.  I did enjoy CW, but honestly, the more OT time period is more appealing to me overall.  Like Jesse said, I'd be down for seeing all of the storylines he mentioned and just seeing the development of the Rebellion in general.  Sounds like it will be CG, but they are sort of basing things off of the McQuarrie style, so I'm not sure if will look just like CW.  Either way, I'm sure it will look good.  I'm a little surprised, I kind of expected them to have the toon be set after ROTJ, to bridge the gap a bit to the new movie(s).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 08:34 AM »
I think we talked about this very thing somewhere (my memory is getting worse all the time)...we talked about taking the Clone Wars Cartoon through Order 66 and giving us Animated Vader and the hunting down of additional Jedi

This is just as good and will be fun to see even more nods to the OT.  It is funny how almost all of LFL is gravitating further and further away from the PT and moving more and more towards the cash cow that is the OT.  I can't believe Hasbro doesn't seem to follow suit.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 09:51 AM »
Meh, if you hated the Clone Wars series or never gave it a chance, that's your loss. Placating that bunch seems like a lost cause.

And I would prefer that they not make any toys from this show unless Disney has the license. Because Disney does some quality ANIMATED figures. I don't want toys that don't look like the characters on the show, which they won't if produced in a style that does not conform to the source material aesthetic.

And yeah, please no Zenaya, Roshon, Zack 'n' Cody, etc guest voices.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 01:04 PM »

This is just as good and will be fun to see even more nods to the OT.  It is funny how almost all of LFL is gravitating further and further away from the PT and moving more and more towards the cash cow that is the OT.  I can't believe Hasbro doesn't seem to follow suit.

Hasbro had the script flipped on them when CW got cancelled and this year's 3D prequel releases were pulled.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 03:03 PM »
Clone Wars' biggest issue, to me, was it was a very short window...  Another reason the PT itself was flawed.  The Clone Wars should've been longer than 3 years IMO.

I don't think it's a Clone Wars hatred on anyone's part...  I loved the toon, though it sucked a lot more in the last 2 seasons than the earlier years.  I think it lost its way a little bit.

This new era has a lot going for it...

A) It's largely unexplored turf...  There are some small stories but nothing epic or expansive...  Clone Wars had material already and that too could be viewed as a bit of a flaw.  Its rampant stomping all over things was not good.

This era though, it's got a LOT of room for creativity without offending people.  I think the biggest fear(s) are if OWK and Yoda get whored out in it too much...  At all may be too much for some.  I'd rather not see much on Yoda save for maybe a one-off of him landing on Dagobah or something.  OWK, I guess I could handle seeing him on Tatooine doing something, but I really don't want to see him doing anything else or either one leaving their respective exiled planet.

B ) There is obviously a lot more OT tie-in available...  One would have to assume Leia, Mothma, Tarkin, Dodonna, some of the Rebel Pilots, Antilles, Vader etc. are going to turn up in this series.  And that's not getting into Jabba, Boba Fett, and their ilk.  I think you'll have a distinct ability to sneak in even Ahsoka or other surviving Jedi getting hunted, and Stormtroopers, AT-AT's, TIE Fighters, Y-Wings...  The OT goodness is just very likely to flow.  You have a lot of things adults AND kids will like...  I think that can only be good for it.

I think kids will react positively because it's a Star Wars toon...  One with the Disney push behind it.  I think adults will react more positively to an sorta-OT toon than Clone Wars.  From the day the movie came out I remember adult complaints being rampant on TCW...  Some justified, but I think many of the older crowd felt it was an even more juvenile version of the PT which was already viewed as dumbed down Star Wars.  It won't hurt to have a much broader appeal is what I'm saying.

C) And of course, toys toys toys...  A new toon is a new cash cow, potentially.  A new era, if it takes off.  Something earlier than the newest movie too, which is a year later.  I think that might be a nice bridge...  Right now the toy line looks to be sort of slow even into 2014, so this could be a major help in that regard, however the toys ultimately look.

That said, I still say separation of lines was a flaw in 2008, and that's about when the main line started to decline...  TCW rose and fell with the cartoon too, it seemed, so I think less separation (stylized vs. realistic) is a major issue...  Since adults largely didn't seem to support the stylized figures, and treated them as a wholely separate line of toys, I think it makes sense to not do that alienation to yourself.  Will kids not buy because they don't look exactly like the toon (tough to say what this toon will look like even) they're watching?  That's debatable.  Hasbro didn't think so in 2008 when their Legends figures were all realistic "supporting" characters to the line that didn't have an animated looking figure.  So I lean to a realistic look as being the safer, more logical way to go to keep the majority happy and interested.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 05:52 PM »
http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-celebration-europe-2013-star-wars-rebels-logo-art-and-details-revealed.html

TONS of Rebels news out of CE2 today...

Filoni was in a panel, confirmed a new central ship "The Ghost", like a B-17 Bomber...  Confirmed heavy use/influence of McQuarrie Concept Art and that it just "fits" this pre-OT era.  Showed concept art pics galore.  Revealed the new logo too!

I dig it...  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 05:56 PM »
A local buddy of mine snapped some pics during the presentation too...  Check out his imgur he posted on Twitter for me!  Thanks to Scott Weber, formerly of 1Up.com fame!

http://t.co/QKP7kAOtOW
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 06:08 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Show will run on Disney XD...screw you, basic cable subscribers!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 07:28 PM »
I thought we didn't have it but apparently it's just really high on my dial.   ???

One kid's gf told me it's up there somewhere anyway.  I've got Comcast so I guess I'm good to go on this.  I can't imagine they WON'T put this out on the site though, like before.  I'd rather watch on a 60" TV though. :P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2013, 08:44 PM »
I know we just saw a bit of concept art and everything, but for some reason this has me really excited so far.  They really seem to be pushing the whole "based on McQuarrie" thing as well, which can only be good things.  The "Ghost" looks very Falcon-esque, which I think is the point.  Hopefully we get some cool toys with this too :).  I'm really looking forward to seeing them explore this era of SW history.  I wonder if this means that long in works live action series is just kaput now (which maybe was the case when Disney took over anyways), because I believe that was supposed to cover much the same era.  Anyways, this all looks great to me so far, wish it wasn't a year away still.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 12:01 PM »
I knew the live action series would never get made, said so years ago and fans scoffed at me. Ha.

Toys? Small winged TIE's returning. Ghost seems too big for a proper scale version, but...they made the Twlight, so...oh, right, they didn't.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 04:26 PM »
I like the animated format far more than the idea a new galactica or trek show.

Given the expense of movies/live action, the fact that actors age, and the ability to tell more stories, this type of media allows for much more to be done/told.

I know toy collectors were split on (or spit on) the animated CW stuff, but I really liked the line. If I never buy another action figure, I still have plenty.

But if they made a cool animated show, and some toys to go with it, I know I would end up getting some of them. Particularly a cool new ship or two. CW really had some cool designs.

the 3 3/4 inch basic line has mined the Lucas movies to the point that is probably getting close to, if not at, the bottom of the old barrel. Yes there are more they can make, but Hasbro works on the McDonald's theory of scale/numbers. I just don't see much left from the OT/PT that can sell in mass quantities.

Here's hoping Rebels is cool, and Hasbro doesn't lay an egg on their end.   :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 04:56 PM »
I'm looking forward to this show more than TCW, though at the time TCW had me intrigued because I thought it would be focused on the war...  I wound up disappointed that it deviated a lot and never really got back by the show's end.

Rebels, it's unexplored turf.  It's a fresh canvas, and that I like, a lot.  I'm into seeing what new characters they introduce, if they do one-offs or a single linear story (I prefer the latter with few one-off's mixed in, like maybe Han saving Chewbacca or getting the Falcon off Lando). 

I like the ship...  I think it's entirely possible that, since Filoni said they wanted to get back to a ship as a "home" like the Falcon, that this maybe has more chance getting made than the Twilight did...  In the grand scheme Twilight wasn't feature THAT much, especially as time wore on.  This seems like it might be a much more prominent ship for whoever the mains are.

If the figures are realistic, I'm in...  If they're animated, I'll pick/choose.  We asked this to Hasbro, and they simply said it's too early to decide.  I'm thinking, since they went away from animated at the very end of TCW, that it's possible they may go non-animated with this show.  LFL dictated that stuff before...  With Disney in charge that may change.  We'll see.  I liked some of the animated because it fit in, and other stuff not so much.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 05:38 PM »
One thing that CW lacked was building the Anakin/Obi-Wan friendship/role model that Ben was telling Luke about in ANH and I thought that was vital.  I didn't mind Ashoka but I felt her role took away from that.  I don't believe that relationship and respect formed during that 10 year period between TPM and AotC.  But that's a different story...

I'll be interested to see what this show is about.  Especially with the McQuarrie concepts.