Author Topic: THIRD Imperial Officer head variant is a go!  (Read 7027 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
THIRD Imperial Officer head variant is a go!
« on: December 21, 2002, 08:56 PM »
Mike at GH seems to have come up with another new Saga carded Imperial Officer with a THIRD head variant (the other one that has recently made the rounds in prototype form).  So we've got the first Impy Officer from POTJ, along with two new head variants on the way in the Saga "rehash" wave.  Very cool!  I was thrilled to hear we'd get a variant head, but 2 new ones is beyond cool on Hasbro's part!  They're finally listening!  Hopefully this trend will continue with future army builder figures...

My only gripe with this is the same gripe that I had when the original POTJ Officer came out - the choice of outfits.  I really wish that this officer came in the regular (flat) tunic uniform, rather than the ultra wrinkled Imperial jumpsuit which was only seen in ROTJ.  It's three times the bummer now with all of these great different heads.  So hopefully Hasbro will put a tuniced officer out in the future, with the same variant head(s) treatment, and maybe even some different colored tunics while they're at it!

Well, a guy can dream, can't he...?

Offline Bespin_refugee

• Youngling
  • "Intensify forward firepower! TOO LATE!! AAAAAHHH
    • View Profile
Re:THIRD Imperial Officer head variant is a go!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 03:00 AM »
Mike at GH seems to have come up with another new Saga carded Imperial Officer with a THIRD head variant (the other one that has recently made the rounds in prototype form).  So we've got the first Impy Officer from POTJ, along with two new head variants on the way in the Saga "rehash" wave.  Very cool!  I was thrilled to hear we'd get a variant head, but 2 new ones is beyond cool on Hasbro's part!  They're finally listening!  Hopefully this trend will continue with future army builder figures...

like a Bespin Guard?

My only gripe with this is the same gripe that I had when the original POTJ Officer came out - the choice of outfits.  I really wish that this officer came in the regular (flat) tunic uniform, rather than the ultra wrinkled Imperial jumpsuit which was only seen in ROTJ.  It's three times the bummer now with all of these great different heads.  So hopefully Hasbro will put a tuniced officer out in the future, with the same variant head(s) treatment, and maybe even some different colored tunics while they're at it!

I'm also a little disappointed to see that 'suit' used again (is that the same as what the 'Falcon Technician wore in the movie?)
I know this would drive the completionists crazy ,but,  I'd also like to see the  white, olive/ tan, or black variants (using a Motti body)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2002, 09:51 AM »
The suit was seen on Junior Officers I believe in some of the opening shot of ROTJ either when Vader arrives on the platform or up in the control room.  I wish they would switch to the tuniced officer too but no dice :(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2002, 07:10 PM »
The officer with the tunic is sure to be on the way eventually.  Do you think that Hasbro would pass on the opportunity to make more money from army builders?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 02:29 PM »
Check it out, all three of them ;)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 02:36 PM »
Sweet.  :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2003, 04:29 PM »
Now if I could only find the 2 newbies, multiples of both by the way, and make casts of it. :)

They look like they may be good for hollowing out for "removeable" versions too.

I've studied the uniforms from the classic trilogy really closely, and I like that they included "Long brim" and "short brim" versions of the hats.  They're noticeable not usually in the black versions (There was generally only short brim black hats), but the grey hats had both long and short brims.

Very odd little detail about the classic trilogy, I know, but one that could indicate SOMETHING important in discerning between rank, status, or "profession" within the Empire.

The Alliance had hats that had varying length brims as well, plus a unique emblem seen in both ANH and ROTJ that is tough (Impossible really) to make out exactly.  

Lots of detail in the movies that people miss.  Maybe we'll get figures of some of these obscure characters with the lil details on them?  I can hope I suppose. :)

By the way, Hi. :D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2003, 04:32 PM »
 ;D
I'm quite happy with these.  I wouldn't even mind if they used the same head sculpts on the "eventual" officer in the  regular olive/grey (flat) tunic uniform.  I'd be glad to see them get all my money making all the army builders they can.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 04:45 PM »
I think that the alternate sulpt idea is pretty good. It adds a good variety. It adds depth to displays.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: THIRD Imperial Officer head variant is a go!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2003, 05:42 PM »
By the way, Hi. :D
Hey Jesse!  Thanks for swinging by!  An astute eye for the finer details as always JJ...   ;)

I'd just be happy with a standard tuniced officer.  I love the 3 head variations that Hasbro's given us now, but it seems like such a waste to put them on an Imperial Officer in a jumpsuit...  Argh!  But if Hasbro wised up and threw these same 3 noggins on a new tunic body, I'd be first in line to buy a whole bunch more of them!  Hopefully with Hasbro's new "collector friendly" persona that they've taken on of late, this might just come true...

Great comparison picture BTW Scott - best one I've seen online anywhere!  It really illustrates the subtle differences on these figures...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2003, 06:41 PM »
I can't stand seeing an officer without a pressed uniform, so when I see my (5+) officers walking around and they all got crumpled up uniforms... It drives me crazy inside. Of course, I still love the figures, I'd like to see a Pressed uniform in both gray and black uniforms, and maybe a Fleet Trooper w/ and w/o the blast shield.

3 Variant heads = cool.

Offline Rod

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2003, 08:32 PM »
A cool solution to this would be to buy an Admiral Piett and do some customizing.......if I ever get an extra Piett, I'm doing it.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2003, 08:43 PM »
True, except for the fact that Piett is a pretty tough find, especially since he came in the VHTF RH Vader and Zuckass wave long, long ago.  Probably easier (and cheaper) to find some old Tarkin figures actually.

I just hope that Hasbro eventually corrects this whole dilemna by issuing a nice, standard, Imperial Officer figure in a tunic type of uniform.  Slap those 3 different IO heads on it, or create some new ones - either way, I'd be a happy man!  I'm sure it'll happen some day.  Hasbro's not stupid - easy money using all those head variants again...

Offline Depmode

• Jedi Initiate
  • Utinni!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2003, 10:04 AM »
And then  I have to buy more figures :( It's cool I guess, I would just rather have different bodies too!!!
James
DepmodeETS@aol.com
AIM: DepmodeETS
My lego collection: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Depmode

Offline max_one

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2003, 03:08 PM »
lets hope they can keep these in a fresh supply, so i don't have to make a hundred trips to the same store.