Author Topic: JediDefender Fantasy Football  (Read 55061 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
JediDefender Fantasy Football
« on: May 29, 2013, 08:56 PM »
Yup, we're up and running again.  No openings if all renew their places in the league.

League ID: 1079
Password: berry

Any problems logging in, let me know.  Will add pick 'em, etc. as they come available. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JediDefender Fantasy Football 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 3, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Guys,
I posted regarding a discussion of how the group would like waivers to work on the league page.  Please post your responses there or here and don't respond directly by email.  It does no good for me and the email recipient being the only ones seeing them, everyone needs to be part of the discussion so we can reach a consensus. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2013, 02:44 PM »
The replies don't go to everyone?  I got Patrick's - which I assume is what you're talking about since he texted me asking what you meant when you asked him to use the thread.

Personally I don't have a strong opinion on this any more.  I used to dislike the change, but I've adapted and am okay with whatever everyone decides.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2013, 11:51 PM »
The replies don't go to everyone?  I got Patrick's - which I assume is what you're talking about since he texted me asking what you meant when you asked him to use the thread.

Personally I don't have a strong opinion on this any more.  I used to dislike the change, but I've adapted and am okay with whatever everyone decides.

No, the replies don't go to everyone though I suspect you can choose that as an option. 

Rather I'm trying to have everyone post their responses in that thread, so it largely mimics posting on a message board.  The posts become essentially permanent and everyone can see everything everyone else says.  Given a couple of folks don't post here at all and some not so much, otherwise I'd suggest we hold the discussion here. 

I got Patrick's too, obviously, but I was really surprised it didn't show up in the thread, so he took another option of responding to Ruiner's post in that thread.  I didn't really examine how he did it, I just know that only some of us would have seen it and if you don't keep all your emails, there's no record.  If it's posted on the thread on the league "board" it stays there and no one can come back later and say they didn't see that message or anyone else's either. 

If I can paraphrase, basically Patrick and Ruiner have opposing points of view.  Ruiner's opinion is there for all to read, Patrick's isn't.  So at this point Patrick's viewpoint is only visible to a few.  I know for example that Jim/chuckles/can't remember his team name didn't see Patrick's response to Ruiner. 

As commissioner, I'll go with a majority opinion but it sure would be nice to get everyone to post it on that thread so we don't have the debate during the season - again.  I won't change things during the season.  And I do have an opinion but I won't post mine unless we need a tie-break vote, because otherwise we have a nice odd number of 11 to discuss.  My vote could simply tie it. 

And I don't care about being commissioner either, so if anyone wants it, I can transfer it.  I just get stuck with it because I restarted the league.  I'm ok doing it but I do get tired of you whiney bitches at times.   :-*

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2013, 10:49 AM »
If you're sick of being commish, I'll do it.  I run another league on another site and basically handle things pretty much the same as you... I set it up, and if a majority want a change, I make it - so long as we're not in the middle of the season.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 6, 2013, 05:15 PM »
If you're sick of being commish, I'll do it.  I run another league on another site and basically handle things pretty much the same as you... I set it up, and if a majority want a change, I make it - so long as we're not in the middle of the season.

Hold the phone.  I think we all love Brent as the commish, so unless he's officially stepping down, no need to pursue this any further. 

If Brent is looking to hand over the reigns, then no offense, but Rob is not my first choice to take over.  Nice of you to offer and I'm sure you're capable, but with 2 family members in the league I think judgement calls could be touchy.  Maybe Ruiner or someone who's got a strong track record of objectivity?  Hopefully Brent sticks around and we can put it off a few more years.  ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 6, 2013, 05:48 PM »
No, I'm still fine doing it, I'm just not sure if everyone still wants me there so I thought I'd make it known that I'm not attached to it.  It's just that I spend altogether too much time looking at the nerd-verse that is Yahoo sports, so when a new registration period pops up for one of our leagues, I'm usually the first to see it and figure what the heck, I'll re-register us and then I become commissioner. 

I'm far from perfect at it, so I'll stay if you're fine but if there are complaints, I'll hand it over.  No worries either way  :)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 6, 2013, 06:14 PM »
I think I have yet to hear a complaint from anyone about you as commish since I joined the league, so sounds good to me!
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 7, 2013, 10:26 AM »
or someone who's got a strong track record of objectivity?

I understand the familial concern, although I don't agree with them on everything and am much more of a majority rule kinda guy and much less of a grease-the-wheels-for-my-buddies kinda guy.  I'm still happy to do it though if Brent ever needs a break.  Like I said, I've been running another league for 4 or 5 years now without incident.  I'd assume that such a thing would go to some kind of vote if it ever happened, and just like the way the league is typically run, I'd think some sort of majority-rule would apply there to.

Thankfully, it's a moot point.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2013, 11:14 AM by Rob »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 3, 2013, 07:37 PM »
Take a look at what I did to the waivers and comment here or on draft day. 

Didn't get much conversation when I posted a while ago on the league page and it seems harder to find with the Yahoo format changes so have a gander. 

I won't be setting waivers to open all the time.  I appreciate that some feel that those that spend more time watching football should be rewarded but more than half don't have that option available to them.  If someone wants a league that runs with completely open free agency they'll have to sign up for a league like that because this one isn't it.   :)  Upon review, that option doesn't seem to be there anymore anyway. 

Our options are bolded below:

Waiver priority options:

1. Continual rolling list: waiver claims are processed in waiver priority order and each successful claim moves a manager to the end of the waiver priority list
2. Reverse order of standings: waiver claims are processed in reverse order of standings and successful claims do not affect waiver priority list
3. Weekly rolling list based on standings: waiver claims are processed in reverse order of standings and each successful claim moves a manager to the end of the waiver priority list

*We were on a continual rolling list but this option was suggested to me by a number of people.  I don't care where it ends up, I just changed it to stimulate discussion. 

Weekly waiver options:

1. Sunday (10:00 PT) to Tuesday (11:59 PT)
2. First game of week to Tuesday - self explanatory I hope and only different when Thursday/Saturday games exist
3. Continuous - all players on waivers all the time
4. Game time - player goes on waivers when their game starts until Tuesday.

Draft is Wednesday night.  Pre-apologies to our east coast friends for the time. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 5, 2013, 12:23 AM »
Thanks Brent.  Does this mean the worst team gets the first pick up of the week, and if they stay the worst team they get the first pick the next week and so on?  When do the waiver submissions actually process?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 5, 2013, 01:05 AM »
If it's how Justin is describing, I'm Not sure I like that.... I'd finally gotten used to how to best use the newer way we've been doing it.  Why mess with it again?

Or, is this how it's been the last two years and we are just misinterpreting the description?
« Last Edit: September 5, 2013, 01:08 AM by Rob »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 5, 2013, 03:48 AM »
Yeah it's been hard for me to read ANYTHING since the terrible new layout debuted on Yahoo, so I obviously missed the discussion. I prefer the "old" way, which would be option 1.

As for the draft, I work overnights so I decided to sleep in and do the autodraft... kinda wishing I hadn't. Not terribly thrilled with my lineup and stable of WRs. But we'll see what happens. I gave up on my team in week 1 last year so I'd like to avoid making that same mistake this year.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: September 5, 2013, 09:18 AM »
Can I make the suggestion that draft order no longer be random?  Most leagues when they draft go in opposite order of the finish from last year.  Not that I am complaining where I drafted last night but we've been doing this long enough that would be only fair.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 5, 2013, 10:24 AM »
Can I make the suggestion that draft order no longer be random?  Most leagues when they draft go in opposite order of the finish from last year.  Not that I am complaining where I drafted last night but we've been doing this long enough that would be only fair.

I think I'd disagree there...When the order flips each round, I don't think draft order is very important at all and that everyone is in a more or less level playing field.  If you get the last pick in the round, you also end up with 2 of the top 13.  If you get the first pick, you end up with 3 of the top 25...