Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 31294 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #555 on: June 27, 2015, 04:49 PM »
I agree Matt.  I will custom up some but if there's not a quality line, it will have been a nice run but ending with a feelin that it sort of got pissed away at the end.  5poa won't cut it for anything but fodder to make better figures. 

At the same time, customs will be my collecting then, and I have tons of other fun things to spend on. :)

Bittersweet ending though if it pans out that way.  Still, I think it may live on even as exclusives maybe.  I have a little hope left.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi Master
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #556 on: June 27, 2015, 07:15 PM »
Isn't it kind of funny how we were happy with 5 POA up until the SA Clone in the Saga line?
Peacekeeper, when it absolutely, positively has to be nuked in 30 minutes or less.  Or the next nuke's free!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #557 on: June 27, 2015, 08:17 PM »
I can 100% attest that I wasn't haha.  I always wanted articulation. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Knight
  • I am now using steroids to enhance my posts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 27, 2015, 09:36 PM »
I will be disappointed with the de-evolution of the figures if that's where we go but I will NEVER be done buying. Less collecting competition I guess.
"A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about, how many people can make you feel rare?"

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi Master
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #559 on: June 27, 2015, 10:18 PM »
I can 100% attest that I wasn't haha.  I always wanted articulation. :)

I was glad that they were able to give us good articulation along with good sculpts, but did not go the route of the vintage GI Joe 4" figures.  The metal elbow joints would never have been good in Star Wars.

I will be disappointed with the de-evolution of the figures if that's where we go but I will NEVER be done buying. Less collecting competition I guess.

I like your look at it, Nick, but it would be too much of a step back for me.  I'll just be buying Star Wars toys for my sons if they de-evolve the 4" figures like that.
Peacekeeper, when it absolutely, positively has to be nuked in 30 minutes or less.  Or the next nuke's free!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 27, 2015, 10:20 PM »
B&M aren't really stocking those and it doesn't pay to try to luck out on 1 figure (or 4 of the same character) on the pegs at Targets.  TRU hasn't been restocking 3.75" stuff  lately in my area.  6" has been better at Wal-Mart, but they don't have 3.75" at all.  In regards to MS/SL/Rebels, the pegs are stocked but product isn't moving.  That's why I bought the last few TBS figures of the line online before TFA stuff hits.  I might never find it in store... I had more faith in finding the 6" Boushh and Iggy in the stores but when Amazon had them for $16, I pulled the trigger.

I want better articulated figures... I guess I was spoiled for the past 10+ years.  To see the route of going back to 5 PoA could possibly be the future, then I'm out.  Even 5 points was supposed to make it cheaper for everyone, but the prices are getting up to where TBS figures were a year ago. *shrugs*  So they aren't really a deal in my opinion if I were interested.  Plus, if I wanted 5 PoA, I'd just pull out the vintage Kenner figures.  I guess I hope that Hasbro continues to put out wanted super-articulated figures and not just the usual rehashes of Vader, Fett, and Obi-Wan.  Bring on the Tonnikas, Tvizzzit and other cantina denizens and Jabba's Palace goons and Imperial Dignitaries. 

That said, I think I'm refraining from TFA figures.  Space issues is one thing, money is another... plus, I'm thinking that these are going to be Disney's World of Star Wars now and not necessarily Lucas'.  I may pick up a couple if the figure is cool looking, and as long as there's more than 5 points of articulation to them.  But I have never bought something Star Wars just because it's got the logo on it.

Less collecting competition I guess.

True.  But you'd have to have Jeff, Jayson, Dave, Justin and some other guys that live in the Twin Cities give up collecting and I don't see that happening with them.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 27, 2015, 10:52 PM »
I was lucky enough to find the last wave of TBS figures at my TRU by chance when they had just stocked them. I grabbed the Clone Wars inspired figs but left the rest. 2 days later they were all gone, and it was back to R5 and Yoda repping the pegs. I think in some areas they just move so quickly it seems as if they have no presence at all.

Why don't stores order more figures when they sell that quickly though? That I do not comprehend.
A flag never killed anyone.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #562 on: June 28, 2015, 01:33 PM »
Yeah I doubt I quit completely...  Like I said, customizing would overtake collecting as my primary gig, and I'd just enjoy making 5POA better or improving a vehicle.  I would definitely buy more acid rain I want without hesitating at the price though.

I didn't want Joe levels of articulation either Matt.  I don't like even the modern Joe articulation on Star Wars figs now.  I felt really that 2007 was the ideal levels and styles.  Some figures get less than others and some get more and for the most part it made sense.  I miss 2007 routinely as a collector.

At the same time though, hasbro had a deep pool then too.  Different era, less resculpts.