Author Topic: Anyone here like building haunted house for Halloween?  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Anyone here like building haunted house for Halloween?
« on: August 12, 2003, 01:30 PM »
I know its kinda of early but I thought I would see if anyone has ever created any Halloween Hunts.  Every year for the past 14 yrs (or more) I have been building hunted houses for Halloween.  In the past few years I have been improving on my building skills by reading stuff on the web on how to build tombstones and other scary stuff.  I started this annual event when my sister decided to start one and I helped here create one.  We bought some stuff a form tombstone, some spider webs, a skeleton and we made a dummy.  Now I have created almost all of my tombstones and have made my hunts a little bit more on the darker/bloodier side.  Last year I had a cemetery where I used potting soil and trash bags and had a fog machine to pump fog on the ground.  
So does anyone here ever do this?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 10:15 PM by Darth Kenobi »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here like building hunted house for Halloween?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 04:53 PM »
I know its kinda of early but I thought I would see if anyone has ever created any Halloween Hunts.  Every year for the past 14 yrs (or more) I have been building hunted houses for Halloween.  In the past few years I have been improving on my building skills by reading stuff on the web on how to build tombstones and other scary stuff.  I started this annual event when my sister decided to start one and I helped here create one.  We bought some stuff a form tombstone, some spider webs, a skeleton and we made a dummy.  Now I have created almost all of my tombstones and have made my hunts a little bit more on the darker/bloodier side.  Last year I had a cemetery where I used potting soil and trash bags and had a fog machine to pump fog on the ground.  
So does anyone here ever do this?

A man after my own heart!

Me and my friends Price, Paul, Brian, and John did one so scary last year, we had the police called on us by parents for scaring small children.

Our origional plan was super elaborate, but in the end we only had 3 days to work, so all we had was a skeleton in a noose hung from a tree, a super spooky red stobe (we got lucky it was foggy), a webbed out trellis, some manakins ( we need to make MUCH better ones this year) alot of fake blood, cool costumes and such.

My brian went as one of those Tortured Souls guys, Price went as a Skeleton, Paul went as an old School vamp, John went as a Zombie, and I went as a Buffy The Vampire Slayer Styled vampire... It was very cool.

This weekend my aunts campground (Earlton Hill Family Campground *shameless plug*) that she owns, they are having a Halloween themed weekend...with haunted trails and stuff, and I will most likley end up working for them for the weekend horrifying children and people.

So, Darth, got any pics of what you have done?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here like building haunted house for Halloween?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 06:37 PM »
Not much of a "builder" myself, but I definitely enjoy hanging out in well built and ultra scary haunted houses!  How can you not during the Halloween season?  That's what it's all about!  There's always a couple families in our neighborhood that go ALL OUT every year, redoing their entire house and yard for the occasion.  We're talking like a month-long development process here.  Just make sure you've had a drink or two before entering the real freaky ones - gets you a little more relaxed so you don't scream like a little sissy or piss your pants in front of your girl or something stupid like that!   :P

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 07:05 PM »
^

I now know I would scream as loudly if a zombie grabbed my arm, compared to a tree branch brushing my arm.

:-X

Kevin

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 08:46 PM »
So, Darth, got any pics of what you have done?

Kevin

Here are some old ones from 1999 and 2000.  I have alot more stuff now and have better tombstones.

Halloween Pictures

What the heck is up with this, my post is inculded in the qoute even through I erazed the the (qoute)(/quote) stuff.   Is it just me or the fourms?

From JediMAC:  Better now Tom?!   ;)  It was just you BTW...   :P
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 09:15 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 10:18 PM »

From JediMAC:  Better now Tom?!   ;)  It was just you BTW...   :P

Yes Better Matt.  I don't know what I did to cause that but for some reason it wouldn't let me get out of the quote even if I deleted the tags for the quotes.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 10:38 AM »
My uncle has quite possibly the biggest private party in the state. Every year he does it, and it gets bigger every year. Fun to be had by all. The week before Halloween, he runs a haunted house in the same building as the party.

My siblings and I help with this endeavor, along with his friends. It's a great way to screw away your weekends from August until the end of October.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 11:35 AM »
Darth, your pics dont work (says I am not the owner of the album), but if you shoot me an E-Mail and I can host the images for you so you can show they off in this thread.

Do you have any good refrence sites anyone?

I would gladly apreciate it...

Kevin

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2003, 02:03 PM »
Earlton Hill Family Campground Halloween Weekend, a SUCESS!!

Well hoy hoy! This weekends trail was a bigger sucess than I immagined. 7 Groups of 20+ people, each run. Construction was a three day long process, in which I was involved in 2 days of. They made some awsomely awsome creatures and props with this spray foam that you use to plug holes, some mesh, and a little electrical wires (light up eyes) and such. We built a MASSIVE 40 foot long black tunnel, and I was in semi-charge of spray painting in the tunnel, with neon paints and what not. I did 3 big Murals, one of Jason himself, A dragon monster, and some satan-looking dude, in 3 ultra neon colors.

They had a guy hanging from a "ghetto-gallows" as I liked to put it. Took us 10 minuts to build, and it worked awsome. The guy stood on a milk crate, and played dead in frint of a window in the tunnel, and popped up when people were near it and scared them.

There were 4 or five (useless) kids working, and running around the back woods. A ton of adults and teens, some working the air hoses, some throwing fake guts at people and lurking in the shadows.

One guy had an all black grim reaper costume, with bony finger gloves, and if he didnt want you to see him, he wouldnt. He found a shadow and hid, and you DID NOT (I didnt) see him. Spooky.

They had a chainsaw/victim scene right before the tunnel started, and that was fantasticly done. I guess the woman who was the vivtim had to put on a second shirt because her **** had some 'revealing' holes in it. They had some awsome looking body parts strewn about and skulls all over. Just before that was the main working gate, where the people came in and got prepped and hyped.

The charachters set up to scare were:

• Chainsaw Killer
  • Witch
  • Demon 1
  • Demon 2
  • Hung Body
  • Freddy
  • Grim Reaper
  • Killer+Killers Victim
  • Jason
  • 3 or 4 Gate Keepers

I ended up being Jason, because the origional person is higly alergic to poison Ivy, and there was enogh on the trail, to hurt him.

The guy who played Freddy, whos name was mike, Collected Hotwheels, and Marvel, McFarlane Sports pics, and some other stuff, hooked me up with a hockey mask, I got some long dark close, I got the walk down, had the one eye close, and seriously scared some kids. I made 3 or 4 people cry, and some one (I think he was mentally retarded slightly) beg for me not to kill him.

I kept sneaking around in the woods, passed the group, and re scaring the smart @$$ kids who were like *Oh hey Jason, your sooooo scary, nice mask* and all that wise garbage, and when I scared them, they got frightened to the core.

I kind of lost a bit of dignity when I fell over a tree branch and flipped over 3 or four times, so I just laid there, and people were like *Is he ok?? Is he dead* and I just sat right up and slashed at them with my knife, and they went onto the cemetary, where they had a coffin, and hole in the ground (some one popped out from it) and a chucky doll performing a seance on a crsafix with red flares all below him, down to the "Wully Swamp" where the swamp monster attacked them.

The last group, there was this overly touchy black guy who elbowed me in the ribs, so I shot down the way of the woods in the back, and met up with Freddy, to tell him, and I went down in the woods, Freddy grabbed the guy and pointed the clawed hand at me, and he pushed Freddy, grabbed a little kid, and Used him as a sheild!!! As a shield!!

The got passed the swamp and climbed back onto the hay-ride truck, and I stalked them, and paced back and forth, and found the black guy again, and started a fast Jason power walk to him, and since the speed limit was 5 MPH, I had no problem keeping up untill they dissapeared into the fog.

Then I got lost in the woods because they cut the lights. I wondered the campground back roads for an hour trying to make my way back.

I had a few complaints though. Kids were ruing suprise for people, parents were FORCING their kids to go through, and kids were going through all alone, and crying the whole way.

Now, then there were the parents dragging kids through, and expected us to stop scaring them because their kid was horrified. I wasnt about to NOT scare the rest of the group because of one child. Then, because some parents were complaining, a woman who works there said she was gonna have it shut down after the second run. No way in hell after 3 days of work were we gonna shut down.

All in all it was fun as heck, and a great blast.

Kevin