Author Topic: The Packaging Issue...  (Read 11232 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
The Packaging Issue...
« on: August 12, 2003, 03:34 PM »
I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the Other Toy section, or even in the Saga section....but it kind of covers a number of lines.  My question deals with the packaging...boxes, cards, etc.  Do you keep it?  If so, do you keep it all, some of it, only certain lines...or why do you (or do you not) keep it?  Personally, I have kept the majority of my packaging....card backs (only ones that have different backs), no bubbles, ship and beast boxes (but flattened)...but, I'm not exactly sure why I keep them.  Until we are able to move to a different house, my wife and I are kind of running out of space to even display my collection, let alone keep the packages.  I suppose I should just throw them all away, not much reason to keep them, but for some reason I just don't.  What do you do with your packaging?  Just curious to see some thoughts and opinions.  Thanks :).

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Packaging Issue...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 03:37 PM »
I usually just throw away the package because I have no room for it.  Then again I'm mostly a carded collector so I have a very little amount of things to open (300 figures around).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 09:17 PM »
I keep cardbacks for some reason as well as inserts, bubbles go in the trash...so do ship boxes and the like I just can't keep it all.  I like looking through the card abcks from time to time...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 09:31 PM »
The carded collection obviously keeps the packaging...   :P

But for the loose collection, I keep everything except the bubbles.  I slice the bubble off with a knife, and hang on to the cardback and the insert.  I even go so far as to remove any stickers (like: "Lightsaber Slashing Action") from the bubbles first, and then stick them onto the front of the card that I'm keeping.  Yeah - I've got issues alright...   ::)

So if it's clear plastic, it goes.  Anything other than that goes into my loose card or loose insert collection!   8)

I did the exact same thing (fortunately) as a little kid with the vintage line.  I still have ALL of the original cardbacks, sans bubbles.  Unfortunately, I hacked off those UPCs on most of them, which detracts from their nice look just a bit...  But hell, it got me cool FREE stuff, right?!   :-*

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 09:49 PM »
I keep everything except the bubbles.  No need to keep those, but I have tons of cardbacks all over the place.
dustrho

Offline DrunkJedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 09:58 PM »
For the Muppet line I keep all card backs because each one has info on that Muppet. Other lines I keep one card per wave if it can be used as a checklist. I also keep any cards that have instructions or that are a necessary visual guide on assembling the figure (tech armor Batman for example)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 10:01 PM »
I dont know why I keep the garbage, but it's all in my closet.  :-\

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2003, 10:02 PM »
I keep cardbacks, inserts, ship boxes, playset boxes, and 12" boxes.  Much like OCB, I enjoy looking through various cardbacks (whenever the mood strikes).  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 09:05 AM »
Thanks for the comments so far everyone, glad to hear I'm not the only one who keeps this stuff.  That's the main reason I keep it as well, just to look through them from time to time...from the Saga line I've always kept those bubble inserts as well, just thinking they could be used for a display or something too.  I don't know, we've got the room now, so I guess I'll keep everything until we don't :).

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2003, 10:19 AM »
from SW I save the little insert pictures from characters I like, and of course the JMP.  I also save the cardbacks so I know what accessories come with what whenever I will have to pack stuff up to move in the future.  12" Boxes I keep because I have a feeling one of these days I might repack them to display them incase I run out of shelf space...

Virex

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2003, 11:25 AM »
The only things that I've been able to throw away so far have been the cardboard inserts from the non-window box vehicle boxes, if that makes any sense.  I've only thrown those away so I could flatten the boxes.  

But everything else, I've kept.  Cardbacks, bubbles, etc.  I don't know why.  I wish I could bring myself to throw all that junk away, because that's what it is--junk--but I just can't.  I just can't throw anything that has a Star Wars logo plastered on it in the trash, for some reason.

Maybe I'll try and start with the bubbles.  They're taking up a bunch of room.

And, then again, maybe not.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2003, 12:23 PM »
I started saving packaging back in the day when Kenner had mail away premiums. Never knowing when or how many proofs of purchase I'd need, I kept all my cardbacks and some of the boxes.

I've been keeping the packaging ever since out of habit. But since my recent move into a new home, I'm seriously re-evaluating this practice and considering breaking with tradition. While keeping some packaging did make it safer to move my toys, it was infinitely more tedious to repackage them for the trip.

Most likely, when I have an opportunity to unpack, I'll keep the blasted Jedi Master Points and throw everything else away. My wife will be thrilled and hopefully I'll have discovered a way to have toys AND some extra space again.
Post sober.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2003, 07:58 PM »
I keep the inserts, trash the bubbles, and card backs. For Boxs I cut out the JMP's, and ditch the rest. No room in...my...room.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2003, 08:11 PM »
I keep the figure cardbacks the rest I throw away. I use to keep all vehicle and beast boxes then one day I just tossed them. I have no use for them as an open collector.

I know a guy here in Indy he opens all his stuff but keeps every bit of packaging. I have no idea why but he does. It fills a big area of his garage.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2003, 09:51 PM »
I used to keep all that stuff,  especially the cardbacks.  It just got to bothersome and it took alot of space to store that stuff.  Being a loose collector,  if I really like the packaging on a certain figure,  I'll just buy a duplicate to keep carded.