Author Topic: The Packaging Issue...  (Read 11238 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Packaging Issue...
« Reply #45 on: June 1, 2009, 04:20 PM »
I've been sorting through rubbermaid bins lately, both looking for stuff to sell off and also just condensing things down, and I really have kept/keep a lot of "crap".  It seems you almost forgot what you have stored away until you look through things again.  Anyways, I did toss a lot of inserts/backgrounds/cardbacks, but still hung onto more than I probably should have.  Basically the same question as earlier, but do any of you (thinking of openers I guess) still keep any portions of the packaging?  I think I'd always keep the cardbacks from the OTC/VOTC line, as I really liked those, but I also currently have stuff from the current line(s) that are out - depending on the time.  I keep the inserts too right now (from the most recent line at the time), but I'm not entirely sure why.  With all of the photo reference available online these days, I've often thought about just keeping a carded figure or two from each line and jetting the rest of the cardboard/paper stuff.  I know it drives my wife crazy that I have a storage bin full of essentially "trash", and it does seem silly at times.

All I can say to this is DITTO.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2010, 05:48 PM »
At one point I used to keep the cardbacks for very special figures (which, to me, were any of the VOTC, VTSC, and TAC, plus one CW '03 Asajj Ventress card), but, for a reason I cannot fathom, I threw them away! All of them! Dammit.

These days now I keep the inserts, but that's only sometimes - mainly for mail-away promotions. Other than that, I just throw the cards away.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2010, 09:39 PM »
I keep all cardbacks and inserts.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:24 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2010, 10:22 PM »
So do I. ;D
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2010, 08:41 AM »
I try to keep one of each cardback and the insert if there's anything cool there.  With releases like OTC it was basically just a UPC, so I tossed them.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2010, 02:40 PM »
I try to keep one of each cardback and the insert if there's anything cool there.  With releases like OTC it was basically just a UPC, so I tossed them.

So you keep the cardbacks and inserts for your loose collection?  I thought you had one of everything carded as well  ???
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2010, 11:47 AM »
My wife hates the fact that I keep any of that "trash" in the house (and in some ways, it does seem ridiculous), but I do a big purge about once a year as well.  I'll likely always keep the VOTC/VTSC and upcoming Vintage Collection cardbacks - and right now have the OTC ones as well - but otherwise I usually just keep a sample or two of each and purge the rest.  I often keep the "current" ones while I"m collecting the line (for example, I have the red cardbacks from Legacy and CW, but will likely purge those now that the new lines are starting again), but then clear them out once the next line comes about.

I have kept the boxes (flattened or downsized) from a number of vehicles, beasts, etc. (particularly OT ones), which take up a lot of room.  I need to go through those again too.  Aside from the vintage-esque stuff, which is sort of nostalgic since I don't have the packages from when I was a kid, I don't know that there really is a point for me to be keeping this stuff, as it is essentially trash.  I used to keep all the inserts and that as well, but those have been getting purged too.  Actually, I sort of prefer when they don't have inserts (like the vintage line).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 6, 2010, 12:01 PM »
I spent time this week (over several days really) sorting through all the boxes, cardbacks, inserts, etc. that I've kept since I started collecting....and ended up pitching about 3/4 of it.  As I looked at a lot of it, I was asking myself "why am I keeping this?".  Sure, it is nice to dig out and look at once in awhile, but all that stuff is online these days anyways.  Plus, I think the only lines I have "nostalgia" for outside of the vintage stuff is maybe the POTF2 stuff from the beginning (and to some extent POTJ, one of my favorite lines).  I was surprised how many vehicle boxes, Galactic Heroes boxes, inserts, etc. that I still had around, and felt kind of silly when it was all piled up in our basement as I went through it.  In the end, I just ended up keeping things that held that nostalgic spirit (25th Joe stuff, VOTC/VTSC/TVC cardbacks, MOTU Classics), and a few of the new-ish stuff that I like (OTC cardbacks, Marvel Universe, and some DCUC and ML stuff).  I try to have at least one example of each line from Star Wars, and my Han carded collection pretty much covers that.  Man, it was a lot of "trash" though.