Author Topic: Battle of Geonosis: Jedi Knights Battle Packs  (Read 30146 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Battle of Geonosis: Jedi Knights Battle Packs
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2013, 10:55 PM »
Let's just say, if you were to have many children, you'd have many birthday coupons sent to you...  like, say, every month.  :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2013, 10:22 AM »
Yeah, you have to sign up for the Geoffrey Birthday Club or somesuch thing. It's free, so why not? I get two of those things every year, they come in handy.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2013, 11:12 AM »
Let's just say, if you were to have many children, you'd have many birthday coupons sent to you...  like, say, every month.  :-X

And if I have no children, isn't it a little weird to be signing up for a club that gets kids a call and card from a giraffe on their birthday, just so a fully grown adult, can save $5 off $25 every now and then?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2013, 11:28 AM »
Would your dogs enjoy a birthday card and call from a giraffe?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2013, 11:34 AM »
I picked up one of each set at TRU this morning. I was surprised when the purchase total was around $40 short of what it should've been, but it turned out the cashier didn't scan a set so I told her. $80 plus tax was steep all at once, but it breaks down to the same as basic figure pricing.

I was really disappointed with the paint quality. The store had 3 of each set on the shelf, and I ended up picking the ones with the least flaws. Sloppy hairlines, misplaced eyes (like the Yoda mini-rig), and very messy clone helmets were significant issues I saw. I'm not 100% sure if I will be keeping these sets, but if I do hopefully the construction quality is better than the paint upon opening.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2013, 01:43 PM »
And if I have no children, isn't it a little weird to be signing up for a club that gets kids a call and card from a giraffe on their birthday, just so a fully grown adult, can save $5 off $25 every now and then?

You can elect not to have the giraffe call you.  ;)  But thanks for the reminder.  I need to update my kids' address so we get ours.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2013, 01:57 PM »
I've never gotten a call...  I may elect to get one now.  Hmmmm.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2013, 03:02 PM »
I was under the impression Giraffe's vocal chords weren't that good. Get a call and it's infrasound.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2013, 04:41 AM »
I got to open my sets tonight...  Thanks to my buddy Jim picking me up a full set by the way, but I don't think finding these will be tough.  My TRU had several full sets just chilling.  $40 is too much on these, I'm afraid.

That said, they're nice...  but easily something you should wait to get for BOGO50%Off at least.

I like getting filler Jedi...  They're an overlooked "army builder" because they're not generic, but years back I said, "Boy I'd like more Jedi army builders even if they just slapped new heads on some of these good Jedi sculpts!", and that's exactly what they've done with these.

In some cases it works... others, not so much.

The big drawbacks are the skirt pieces inhibit leg articulation on several...  I am a huge fan of either very flexible plastic or fabric used here, and in this case they really used neither.  I'd say some of the paintjobs are suspect as well...  I have several lightsabers where the hilts aren't painted totally for instance, and several figures the hair isn't quite perfectly painted.

MOst seem to have good eye paint though, and other small details seem done right, but it's largely hair paint that's just not quite there on everyone.

Another gripe, easy to make too, is a lack of saber hilts...  ALL Jedi figures should have hilt accessories.  No excuses.  One could argue a cloak is required too but I'm ok without everyone getting a nice cloak...  The hilts though, that bites.

The headsculpts are all nice, but some of the body choices are kind of odd...  For instance the Asian male Jedi uses a recent Nikto Jedi sculpt...  The neck's a tad oddly thick in that case, but not too distracting.  Just slightly off, and makes his head sit lower on the shoulders.

I like picking out what the bodies are they used...  They seem, mostly anyway, to be re-used.  I can't tell if any are new honestly.  They all seem old except possibly the Weequay Jedi's.  I can't place his.

The Clones...  These are the bone of contention, but to me this figure was considered the pinnacle of this line for so long, and I think it's still a great sculpt.  I found the paint on them to be crisp and vibrant...  I liked the binocs as a nice extra new bit.  Sure I'd rather had 2 more Jedi but 2 Clones isn't hurting me either.

I took my 2 sets back to the store...  I had 2 $5 off $25 coupons and 3 $3 off $3 coupons...  So the woman who waited on me at first was hesitant because it was over a week on one set I believe, but she wound up doing it without any prodding.  She took the initial $14 off one set and used my other $5 off $25 coupon on the 2nd set, so I got $19 back and that was cool.  That made this far more worthy in my eyes...  These are definitely closer to $60 for both than $80.  And as always, TRU has them priced perfectly to sell them for about that on all their sales.

So yeah, wait...  I won't say that often, but on these and most of TRU's stuff, yeah just wait.

But I'd probably be up for one more set of these if Hasbro wanted to...  That'd give us some more generic Jedi goodness.  You have to have the guys laying around dead after the battle.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2013, 11:06 AM »
I like picking out what the bodies are they used...  They seem, mostly anyway, to be re-used.  I can't tell if any are new honestly.  They all seem old except possibly the Weequay Jedi's.  I can't place his.

Weequay Jedi uses TLC Tarados Gon as a base. The only real "new" one in the sets is Sarrissa Jeng (the female with the five head) - she has the most new pieces (arms, head, torso, skirt).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:07 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2013, 05:14 AM »
If these sit around as long as the Rebel Pilots and Podracer sets have, we should have no problems being able to get these on sale.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2013, 04:23 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot the Nicole Kidman figure...  yeah, she's definitely new. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 8, 2013, 08:43 PM »
So I don't know if it's too late to be helpful to you guys, but on Friday I wandered into Toys R Us and these were marked down to $29.99. 

Then, they were also buy one get one half off.

Throw in the $8 e-gift card they sent me, and I walked out the door with a set for $41 - which I'm going to return on the receipt where I spent $88.

Getting these for $41 is a hell of a lot easier to stomach than $88 - just a heads up in case anyone else was looking for a better deal.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2013, 08:43 PM by Rob »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2013, 08:03 PM »
Since I got $15 back from Amazon on the Droid Factory set, I took some coupons to TRU and got the set with Sarissa Jeng for $20. Really the only one of the two I wanted, and definitely worth it at that price.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 8, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Weird that I have completely ignored this thread. Yesterday, I went to TRU and found both of these sets for $29 each. I thought they were new since I've never seen either set at TRU until yesterday. They only had one of each.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours