Author Topic: X-Men/Wolverine Movies  (Read 85433 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: X-Men/Wolverine Movies
« Reply #150 on: June 5, 2011, 06:08 PM »
Saw it as well and thought it was pretty awesome.  It was a tough sell without Wolverine or anybody recognizable.  Kevin Bacon was pretty great, but Magneto stole the show.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 5, 2011, 08:17 PM »
I saw X-Men: First Class last night and I thought it was FANTASTIC.

Much better than X3, better than the first X-Men movie as well. I would have to say on-par with the second X-Men movie which I still consider one of the better superhero movies out there.

Has anyone heard if they're planning on having this kick off a new trilogy or is this a one-and-out kind of thing for the franchise? I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to this at all if they can keep the quality up.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #152 on: June 5, 2011, 08:52 PM »
If it does well the plan is to continue with this cast through a series of movies.  That'll also stop any work on an X-Men 4 movie with the original cast.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #153 on: June 5, 2011, 11:56 PM »
I saw it last night, it was alright, wasnt fantastic, wasnt terrible.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 6, 2011, 11:57 AM »
I saw First Class this weekend as well, and thought it was pretty amazing.  I'm a big fan of X2, so I think I might still put that ahead of it, but otherwise it is right up there with the best of this franchise.  Although I had absolutely no problem with the characters included, I still would have rather they just went true "First Class" with it and had Cyclops, Jean, Iceman, Beast, and Angel (or at least something somewhat close).  It seems to toe the line between reboot and prequel, as some things fit and some things don't, but I thought it was a very good movie.  Magneto (Michael Fassbender) in particular was pretty awesome.  I've seen in some interviews that Matthew Vaughn (the director) mentioned that in a possibly sequel he would keep the cast mostly the same and maybe only add one new character that could "match up" well with Magneto.  We shall see.  It didn't exactly do gangbusters at the box office, but I didn't really expect that it would.  It seems like it almost has to "start fresh" the way Batman Begins did with the Bat franchise - and that movie, as great as it was/is - was at $205m for its domestic run, which many consider low (before blowing up on DVD, into Dark Knight, etc.)  Anyways...First Class, good movie.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 6, 2011, 10:52 PM »
I've seen in some interviews that Matthew Vaughn (the director) mentioned that in a possibly sequel he would keep the cast mostly the same and maybe only add one new character that could "match up" well with Magneto.  We shall see. 

I would have to think he might be referring to Polaris.  She was one of the early X-Men additions from the 1960's.  Her story &  powers tie in with Magneto.  And there's her link with Havok, too.

I'm planning on seeing the movie tomorrow.  I've had mixed feelings about it, too.  Mostly because the true first class isn't getting examined.  And then to mix the Hellfire Club storyline in with this group?  I'm going to try to let the movie stand on it's own merits.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2011, 10:59 PM »
Saw X-Men today... loved it. Someone on Facebook said it was Marvel's version of The Dark Knight which I figured had to be an exaggeration. Don't think it was at TDK's level but it was an awesome flick.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2011, 12:50 AM »
Just caught X-Men: First Class over the weekend. Continuity issues and the Austin Powers fembot-esque acting style of January Jones aside, this was a fabulous movie.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2011, 11:49 AM »
I just re-watched First Class this past weekend as well after seeing it in the theaters earlier this summer.  Just a really well made movie overall.  When it was announced, and the character lineup was revealed, I really had reservations and wasn't sure how much I cared to see it.  But, although I still would have liked to see the comics version First Class characters included, I was really impressed with how good it was.  Magneto in particular steals the show I think.  The continuity is all out of whack with the other movies, but I sort of take it as a reboot anyways and hope they continue on with this cast/world (and eventually include some of the classics like Cyclops, Jean Grey, etc.)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 2, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Sounds like Bryan Singer himself has confirmed that the X-Men: First Class sequel will be titled "Days of Future Past" and at least loosely based on that storyline from the comics.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/02/x-men-first-class-sequel-news-what-is-days-of-future-past

Obviously, I'm sure it will be significantly different from the comic story, but it does allow them to link up with the other movies (and possibly cast) if they want to.  It definitely leaves them an out to bring in Hugh Jackman to this universe which is sort of/not really a reboot I guess.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 2, 2012, 03:02 PM »
Actually they already brought in Hugh Jackman in the last movie.  When Charles and Eric are going around recruiting, there is a cameo by Jackman where he tells them to f*** off.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 2, 2012, 04:08 PM »
That scene made the movie for me.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 2, 2012, 08:58 PM »
I loved that cameo as well, I was just thinking he could have more of a role in the next movie if they went with a Day of Future Past storyline.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 2, 2012, 10:00 PM »
I read about the Days of Future Past storyline in the past few days.  That was easily my favorite X-Men storyline of all time, and I've always felt a good degree of attachment to it.  But are we bound to see some significant changes to that particular story in order to make it work on screen?

Ellen Page has definitely come into her own as an actor since she played Kitty Pryde in X-Men: The Last Stand.  Will she and Wolverine still be the central characters in the movie adaptation?  And then there's the matter of the relationships.

There's clearly a continuity that's been established by the previous films that diverges from the books.  The film interpretation of the Phoenix storyline had to be scaled back tremendously.  But this story dealt with someone travelling from the future to the past in order to change the course of history.  How do you accomplish that in the movie and make it work?  That remains to be seen.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 2, 2012, 10:09 PM »
As Brian reported, the sequel will be "loosely based" on that storyline.  I'm sure they will need to make significant changes, just like First Class was a big departure from the comic origins.  I think it's a great direction for the franchise if they can make it work.  Really, all they need to do is adopt "The Terminator" blueprint, which should be even easier with an established cast.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today