Author Topic: X-Men/Wolverine Movies  (Read 85418 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: X-Men/Wolverine Movies
« Reply #195 on: May 24, 2013, 09:26 AM »
Physically, Hugh Jackman didn't really match up with the image of Wolverine for the first X-Men.  In fact, he wasn't the first choice for the role.  That had actually been Dougray Scott.  But somewhere along the way the role of Wolverine got recast, and as a result Jackman has essentially been carrying the franchise.

Dougray Scott was originally cast as Wolverine but he couldn't do it because he was tied up with Mission Impossible II.

I'd argue that anybody basing casting judegements off of height in this day and age is a moron.  They easily make tall guys look short and a midget look like the tallest guy in the room.  I think Jackman's facial expressions and overall look made him a clear choice from the start, but maybe I was in the minority with that opinion. 

I don't disagree, but you know how comic geeks are, they want the movies to be exactly like the comics until they don't...which usually only happens if the movie ends up exceeding their expectations.

I think Jackman has done an excellent job as Wolverine, don't get me wrong, but he didn't necessarily stand out as an obvious choice the first time.  Unlike Downey as Stark, though, I think Jackman could be replaced as Wolverine at some point.  It's harder for me to picture someone else in Downey's role, though.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #196 on: July 21, 2013, 07:52 AM »
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2013, 08:35 AM »
Bryan Singer tweeted this photo yesterday from the X-Men:  Days of Future Past panel yesterday.  Reportedly, the whole cast was on hand for this panel & photo.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 28, 2013, 09:06 AM »
Saw The Wolverine; it's really good.  The Silver Samurai looked a little phoney, but other than that, a really sold movie.  Almost more like an old fashioned noir-detective movie set in Japan than a whiz-bang comic book movie.

And the post-credits scene is awesome.  Worth the price of admission alone
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 28, 2013, 09:33 AM »
I cheated and watched the post credits scene online. Rather do that than have it spoiled in case I don't get around to seeing the movie.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 29, 2013, 09:23 AM »
Saw The Wolverine; it's really good.  The Silver Samurai looked a little phoney, but other than that, a really sold movie.  Almost more like an old fashioned noir-detective movie set in Japan than a whiz-bang comic book movie.

And the post-credits scene is awesome.  Worth the price of admission alone
I liked it too.  I was really into X-Men, Avengers and Spidey in the 80's, and sort of fell out of collecting during the time period where this arc was published, so I can't say that any deviation from the source is good or bad, but I did think the film was very good.  In fact, I think they should have just gone with a less super-technological version of the Silver Samurai and it would been near perfect.  I think a guy in a, well, silver samurai costume would have fit the tone of the film better. 

That after-credits scene was incredible.  No schwarma jokes here.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 29, 2013, 06:27 PM »
I didn't love it or hate it.  I thought it was good but didn't completely live up to the potential that was there.  I thought Logan dealing with Jean's death was better done than Tony Stark's anxiety attacks in IM3 and thought it did some good things for his character.

I liked most of the fights and action but there were a few times where I didn't feel like the director let the actors and choreography work, too many quick cuts that distracted more than anything.

The scene during the credits blew me away!  I can not wait for the next X-Men movie after that.  I would recommend going to see it.  If you like Jackman as Wolverine I think you'll really love this movie.  I felt like there was more for Jackman to do with the character this time around, it wasn't all berserker rage.

I did write a review if anyone is interested: The Wolverine

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 24, 2013, 08:51 PM »
Much like Captain America did, there is a new teaser for the teaser trailer up for X-Men: Days of Future Past.  The full trailer goes up next Tuesday I believe:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/24/watch-a-teaser-for-the-x-men-days-of-future-past-trailer

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2013, 09:14 AM »
Trailer is now online.

It looks like a considerable departure from the X-Men - Days of Future Past comic storyline.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2013, 12:54 PM »
Looks pretty good. I have no problems with them taking vast steps away from the way it was in the comics because they've already done that (Havok/Beast in one era, Cyclops/Jean in another, Iceman in a third, etc).  As long as it's a good story, I'll get over it not matching the comic version.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 29, 2013, 02:30 PM »
I'll remain hopeful, but there was an awful lot of dramatic brooding and standing around in place of action scenes.  Hopefully that's just an issue with the trailer, not with the actual movie.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 29, 2013, 07:47 PM »
I'll remain hopeful, but there was an awful lot of dramatic brooding and standing around in place of action scenes.  Hopefully that's just an issue with the trailer, not with the actual movie.

Bryan Singer addressed this, it wasn't an artistic choice for the trailer. Final visual effects, such as the sentinels, aren't finished yet.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 29, 2013, 08:06 PM »

Bryan Singer addressed this, it wasn't an artistic choice for the trailer. Final visual effects, such as the sentinels, aren't finished yet.

I'm glad that's the case. I was thinking they wanted to hide the villains for as long as possible, as so many other movies try to do these days. *cough*smaugkhanchitauri*cough*

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 27, 2014, 07:47 PM »
http://www.empireonline.com/xmen/

so Empire magazine got different covers for most if not all characters in new xmen movie. my question is then on the pic of old "future" wolverine why does he have adamantium claws back? interesting.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 07:49 PM by jedipurge »
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2014, 02:32 AM »
I'm sure Magneto could help out with that.
This is the way.

I have spoken.