Author Topic: X-Men/Wolverine Movies  (Read 85439 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: X-Men/Wolverine Movies
« Reply #240 on: April 20, 2014, 08:20 AM »
But THIS STORY?  It's a whole new level of creepy.  And while I had begun to warm up to the idea of this new X-Men film, now I feel like doing that would just be wrong.

I keep coming back to one question:  If Jerry Sandusky directed a kick-ass X-Men movie, would I go to see it?  And it's really hard to answer yes.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 20, 2014, 02:41 PM »
I already had some qualms about seeing this movie BEFORE this news came to light.  The story alone is one of the most legendary story arcs in the history of the X-Men comics.  Could a film ever do it justice?

And now?  I really feel that I cannot in good conscience go to see this movie.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 20, 2014, 11:53 PM »
If it was just the director I would probably skip this film but I'm thinking about the half dozen or more actors and actresses that are in this that I like.  It's a story I want to see, written by a guy I trust with actors that I respect... So? IDK.  I'm probably still going to go see it.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2014, 01:31 AM »
I don't in any way want to minimize the accusations here, but they are just accusations at this point, correct?  I have a hard time assuming guilt for someone that's not been proven guilty and just don't know enough about the case to lean one way or the other.  I'm also very aware that there are a ton of people who made and starred in this movie, so boycotting it because of one person ends up hurting a bunch of other people beyond  Singer.  I'm not sure if I'll race to see it in the theater, but I will eventually see it as it looks like a great story.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2014, 08:51 AM »
From what I've read - accusations from a victim who has already had a number of successful cases.  So it's an accuser with some credibility.

So you'd go to a movie directed by Jerry Sandusky (assuming a quality movie with actors you respect)?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 22, 2014, 12:04 AM »
While the accusations are no doubt horrific, I'll still be seeing this movie. The "moral dilemma" excuse sounds lame though. It's the X-Men brand that will sell tickets, not Bryan Singer. Heck, I didn't even know Singer was the director until this story broke.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 22, 2014, 07:33 AM »
From what I've read - accusations from a victim who has already had a number of successful cases.  So it's an accuser with some credibility.

So you'd go to a movie directed by Jerry Sandusky (assuming a quality movie with actors you respect)?

Sure. If you're going to boycott the movie, then I assume you will find out where he eats, shops, gets gas, etc. And boycott those places as well, right?  Crap, he likes tacos?  Guess I'm done eating Mexican food.   ::) My watching the movie can't enable or prevent Singer's actions.  If no one went to see it, maybe you'd damage Singers payroll...along with hundreds of other innocent people who have a stake in the film.  Heck, you might not even get your message out - maybe low ticket sales are viewed as a lack of interest in the source material.   People need to think a little more about the outcome of their actions before doling out punishment.  And this is all assuming he did anything wrong - Singer is being viewed as guilty until proven innocent.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 22, 2014, 08:30 AM »
Fox, the studio behind the X-Men film franchise, recognizes that this case has the potential to hurt the financial success of the movie.  And now they're circling the wagons.

Bryan Singer had been scheduled to do a bunch of press in advance of the release of the movie.  That included an appearance at Wondercon in California this past weekend.  Fox had a sizable panel discussion to discuss their upcoming projects, and X-Men - Days of Future Past was slated to be a major component of the presentation which also included Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.  Bryan Singer was not only a no-show, but his name wasn't even mentioned.  The Director of the film...NOT EVEN MENTIONED.  You may want to let that sink in.  Writer/producer Simon Kinberg stepped in to lead the panel, and the X-Men presentation was scaled back immensely, with most of the panel focus going to the new Planet of the Apes movie.  Oh, and there were no questions allowed during the X-Men portion of the panel.

And it's not just Fox that's pulled back from Bryan Singer.  Disney, which owns the ABC television network, is revamping the promos for a new show called Black Box, and they're pulling any mention of Singer from those as well.

Film is very much a director's medium.  And a scandal like this will definitely follow a director and can financially hurt their films.  As for the implications of what Singer is accused of?  This isn't a case of someone over-indulging in booze or drugs.  This isn't over a DWI with an embarrassing mugshot.  This is about a sexual assault case involving a minor that could have led to significant criminal charges had it been dealt with in an appropriate timeframe.  And these accusations have been leveled against the DIRECTOR of the film.  The one filmmaker that is most responsible for this particular movie.  All of the cast and crew have been paid.  As for anyone else getting hurt by poor attendance for this movie?  Those would be people who get points and backend money from the movie.  Most studios are reluctant to give up that sort of interest in a project.  But generally a producer/director would get points.  Whether or not you want to see the movie is a judgement call you need to make for yourself.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #248 on: April 22, 2014, 08:58 AM »
Sure. If you're going to boycott the movie, then I assume you will find out where he eats, shops, gets gas, etc. And boycott those places as well, right?  Crap, he likes tacos?  Guess I'm done eating Mexican food.   ::)

Not anywhere near a logical argument.  If Singer made me tacos, I wouldn't accept them.  If he owned Taco Bell, I wouldn't eat there.  But the fact that he might like them has no impact.

Singer was the DIRECTOR of this film.  That's the CEO.  The guy in charge.  Totally different than what you're trying to argue.

People need to think a little more about the outcome of their actions before doling out punishment.  And this is all assuming he did anything wrong - Singer is being viewed as guilty until proven innocent.

Apparently the fact that he throws these annual parties is not disputed.  The idea that he throws annual parties that focus on child rape should shock anyone.  But in Hollywood nobody raises an eyebrow.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 23, 2014, 08:09 AM »
Like I said, no trial needed.  If you're found guilty by a couple dudes browsing the internet and called out on a star wars collecting forum, then obviously you're guilty.  Just a few things to consider though:

Is it possible that he threw a party, but didn't commit the crime?

Could the accuser be lying to get back at him or to get publicity?

Would any big corporation continue to publicly support and publicize an employee accused of these crimes?

Just some food for thought for those who have already judged.

As for who you hurt with a boycott, don't be naive just because you want to riot.  The cinemas, studio, distribution, merchandising, and ownable media guys will be far more impacted by a boycott than the director.  If you really want to send him a message, get off your duff and write to someone or organize a protest.  If you feel strongly enough about it to boycott the movie and write about it then spend your energy doing more than trying to influence a handful of guys on JD.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #250 on: May 13, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 21, 2014, 11:30 PM »
Just got back from seeing Days of Future Past and i really liked it, the link backs to the other movies was great and although Wolverine was there it didn't center on him which I was worried about.
Young Charles was great and the fights in the future were done really well.
I think it's a strong movie and has the franchise well and truly on the right track again after First Class
Oh and hang around for the after credits scene, giddy up :)
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 23, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Just saw DOFP.  Then watched X1.

Hmmm.

Let me just say, I love the X-Men.  I love Marvel.  I love The Usual Suspects.

All that said, this wasn't a bad movie.

But it's totally a studio movie.

This was an $xxxmillion effort to revitalize a franchise.  Yeah, it's better than X3 or either of the Wolverine movies (the second of which I liked but didn't love).  There is no chemistry amongst the team.  The only characters that have anything together are Professor X and Magneto, and unfortunately, the McKellan/Stewart - Fassbender/McCavoy chemistry is pushed to the brink.

If you're gonna sell out and just try and give us a popcorn movie, then just give us a popcorn movie.  But to do a reboot where you use a classic story to try and throw everything plus the kitchen sink back at us?

I dunno.

Seems like Singer and 20th Century Fox compromised a lot on this.  It could have been so much more while needing to be so much less.  Just too many characters, none of whom get adequately developed.  Warpath looked cool, but we never learn much about him.  Bishop is totally gratuitous.  Havoc--one of the few characters we already know and sort of care about--comes and goes without any real substance.

That said, Fassbender as Magneto is brilliant.  He's so good.

I'll see it again I'm sure, and maybe I'll lower my expectations because I really did have high hopes and it's a really good movie. But it could have been so much more so I was kind of disappointed.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:48 PM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #253 on: May 23, 2014, 11:37 PM »
Just saw it ad enjoyed it. I think Fassbender/McCavoy are great. Prof. X was the star of the movie for me. After credit scene was pretty cool too.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 24, 2014, 04:16 PM »
I saw this today and had a good time.  I believe the extra scene in Spidey 2 was the barracks scene from this movie?  I don't quite get that but that's okay.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN