Community > Watto's Junk Yard

X-Men/Wolverine Movies

<< < (59/64) > >>

Nicklab:

--- Quote from: Scockery on October 24, 2016, 01:28 PM ---Hopefully no time travel. Curious how the X-Men died...yes, every comic reader has said how it happened there, but this isn't a direct adaptation.

Engineered virus maybe?

--- End quote ---

What in the Fox X-verse actually has been a direct adaptation?  The Phoenix story?  Nope.  Days of Future Past?  Uh, no.  Wolverine limited series (4 issue Japan story arc)/ The Wolverine?  Again, no. 

Granted, the Marvel Cinematic Universe hasn't been completely faithful to all of their source material.  But the guidelines have been there in a lot of the origin stories.  Iron Man's story was adapted to the present day.  The Captain America origin was very faithful.  But the way Bryan Singer has steered a lot of these stories has been a huge stretch.  And I've had a very tough time with how these X-Men films have diverged from some amazing source material.

JediJman:
I liked most of the X-Men stuff thus far, but you're right - the original comic stories are that much better.  Days of Future Past would have been awesome on the big screen, but I think you'd need to have a handful of movies in front of it to make any sense out of the storyline.  Some of these just don't transfer well to film.

As for Marvel vs. Fox taking liberties, I think they're pretty equal.  Cap and wolverine have origins similar to the comics, but a lot of other characters don't.  Having Stark create Ultron, Jarvis become Vision, Hawkeye married with kids, Shield building the Avengers...that's all a hodgepodge of very divergent stories that don't map at all to the comics.  On the flip side, I just watched XMen Apocalypse last week and loved the little Weapon X cameo.  As long as they loosely tie to the characters I love, I'm usually pretty happy with the Marvel-based stuff, outside of the crap that has passed for Fantastic Four and Hulk films.

Nicklab:
I agree that there's been a lot of divergences with both movie universes.  With the Avengers, the bones of the original team were largely there with the original members:  Cap, Thor, Hulk & Iron Man.  The SHIELD angle is something that came from the Ultimate universe, so I kind of can deal with that take on the story.  As for Ultron, Vision, Pym, et al?  I can see the concerns.

The X-Men films started with something of a hodge-podge team that was more of a composite of the team over the years rather than something that was true to the books.  Cyclops and Jean Grey were the only original members on the team.  Storm was with the 3rd wave that came in during Giant Sized X-Men, as was Wolverine.  Iceman was a younger student at the school and not a member of the team, and there was no presence of Angel or Beast until the 3rd film.  Say what you will, but the original X-Men team actually had some decent stories.  And they also began to incorporate characters like Banshee, Polaris, Havok and Magneto well before Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Colossus ever made it into any books.  Could that original team have carried a movie or two before introducing the Giant Sized X-Men team?  It all would have depended on multiple factors:  the director, script and cast.  But if you did that I could imagine the fan outcry:  where's Wolverine?  And I think that Fox wanted to make sure that he was in the mix from the get-go purely from a marketing standpoint.

But what about the possibility of building a universe?  I don't think that Fox really had the foresight to see it through.  But imagine two 'First Class' sort of films that might have led up to a third movie that would finally introduce the Storm/Wolverine/Colossus/Nightcrawler, etc team?  That could have been something great.  And then you could potentially get another few films after that with the Phoenix saga, DoFP, and maybe eventually Apocalypse without it being such a ******* mess.

jedipurge:
so after seeing the new Logan trailer I got to thinking. Ryan Reynolds has said he won't be in the new Logan movie because his character doesn't 'fit' in the theme of the movie. BUUUUUUUT what if there is another character that might link Logan and Deadpool. What if, since the movie is a bit more in the future, Cable is introduced in Logan movie. Maybe even time traveling and taking X23 to the past to save her and introduce her to Deadpool. after all she is the NEW Wolverine.

JediJman:

--- Quote from: jedipurge on January 24, 2017, 10:26 AM ---so after seeing the new Logan trailer I got to thinking. Ryan Reynolds has said he won't be in the new Logan movie because his character doesn't 'fit' in the theme of the movie. BUUUUUUUT what if there is another character that might link Logan and Deadpool. What if, since the movie is a bit more in the future, Cable is introduced in Logan movie. Maybe even time traveling and taking X23 to the past to save her and introduce her to Deadpool. after all she is the NEW Wolverine.

--- End quote ---

The X-Men time travelling to the past then resetting all their characters and completely erasing the previous timeline(s)?  Ha, that would never happen my friend. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version