Author Topic: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies  (Read 86292 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies
« Reply #15 on: December 3, 2012, 12:59 PM »
Without even opening the link, I guessed it. Sad.

That article is an insightful piece...I agree with him 100% too. They have no idea what they're doing over there with their film franchises, they are going to fail on an epic scale if they keep down this road.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 3, 2012, 01:34 PM »
While it may seem like they'll be copying Marvel with their villain choice (at least to the common masses), to be fair, what other DC villian could unite DC superheroes at once?  Joker?  An all time great villian to be sure, but no where near the the threat to unite 7 heroes at once.  Luthor? Maybe, but not likely.  The only other I can think of is Doomsday, but I still consider him a Supes villian, even though he technically fought the JL in his first appearances (on the way to killing Supes).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 3, 2012, 01:48 PM »
I think Darkseid makes sense as a League-level threat, but that's not their only option and it sure does look like an Avengers copycat.  They could go after a mystery villian (Lex?) who turns Superman against them with red Kryptonite.  How about a flick introducing multiple baddies, where the heroes lose some initial battles until they can band together?  What about Amazo - isn't that the guy who has all their powers at once?  Some bad-guy Kryptonians like the old Superman II would make for good sparring partners as well.  Aren't the lanterns a big part of the new 52?  Why not have the yellows, reds, or oranges attach? 

I'm pretty dissapointed at the choice, but still hoping they can pull it off.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 3, 2012, 01:51 PM »
I'd like to see Black Manta (know it isn't happening).  I always thought he was cool... not so his counterpart Aquaman.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 3, 2012, 01:55 PM »
I'd like to see Black Manta (know it isn't happening).  I always thought he was cool... not so his counterpart Aquaman.

Aquaman's current Nu52 book is actually one of the best ones and made him "cool".  Say what you want about Geoff Johns, but he takes B & C list characters and makes them revelent (Flash, JSA, GL and now Aquaman).
« Last Edit: December 3, 2012, 01:55 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #20 on: December 3, 2012, 01:55 PM »
Brainiac would be an ideal villain for JL.  Gorilla Grodd would be pretty decent as well.  Bizarro could work as "too much for Superman to handle on his own."

The question WB needs to consider is "If you defeat Darkseid in the first movie - what could possibly pose a threat in the second?"
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 3, 2012, 03:33 PM »

Aquaman's current Nu52 book is actually one of the best ones and made him "cool".  Say what you want about Geoff Johns, but he takes B & C list characters and makes them revelent (Flash, JSA, GL and now Aquaman).

Thanks, Mikey.  I don't read the comics, but was going off the cartoons of my childhood.  I always loved the design of his costume.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 3, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Lot of naysaying for a movie that's barely, or maybe not really in preproduction. I'd just as soon they use Darkseid rather than save him for a sequel that may not happen. Look at Superman Returns...there was stuff they were saving for a sequel that was never made.

There's no rule that a lead villain can't return for a sequel, either...though Avengers, aside, you'd get that impression.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 3, 2012, 07:15 PM »
DC & Warners really need more closely at how Marvel laid the groundwork leading up to Avengers.  That being the involvement of a Kevin Feige type exec / producer who knows the source material and will make the right decisions in the projects that eventually lead up to a team-up film like Justice League.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: December 4, 2012, 12:48 AM »
What about the ******* Legion of Doom...how hard is this?  That is what made Superfriends so great...each character had a guy they always fought and would be totally epic.  Plus,  how much sense does one bad guy against 5 or 6 good guys make?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 4, 2012, 09:53 AM »
What about the ******* Legion of Doom...how hard is this?  That is what made Superfriends so great...each character had a guy they always fought and would be totally epic.  Plus,  how much sense does one bad guy against 5 or 6 good guys make?

THANK YOU... I have been screaming this all over the internets since yesterday.

Come on, that iconic image of their supersecret headquarters in the middle of that fetid swamp?!?! PURE GOLD!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 4, 2012, 11:37 AM »
THANK YOU... I have been screaming this all over the internets since yesterday.

Which internets are you posting on?   ;)  Sorry, couldn't resist.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 4, 2012, 04:34 PM »

QFT

Just look at the animated Super Friends series and how that progressed.  It started with single villains / crises and the original 5 Super Friends.  Then they expanded the ranks and started bringing in some more heroes. 

THEN enter the Legion of Doom, and that was one of the best runs that the show had.  That was called Challenge of the Super Friends IIRC.  There was a nice wide variety of vilains, and it worked well.

A few years later they went down the Darkseid / Apokolips road during the Super Powers era.  But there was a progression in the series that ultimately led to this.  If DC / Warner Bros try to force this, it's probably going to fall flat the way the Green Lantern movie did.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 4, 2012, 08:57 PM »
Agreed on the LoD, how cool would that be?  As cheesy as some of those cartoons can look these days, I loved the old Challenge of the Superfriends when I was a kid.  I really hope that DC/WB doesn't rush this just to keep up with Marvel.  Honestly, I've always been more of a Marvel guy, with my main exposure to DC as a kid being Batman comics and the Superfriends cartoon, but as an adult I have gotten into the DC stuff more as well.  I think, at least for the most part, the way Marvel has set up their movie universe is almost perfect.  The anticipation and building towards Avengers was great, and Avengers itself was a perfect payoff.  There isn't any reason that DC (and Warners) can't do the same with the JLA, and they even have access to their entire library of characters (unlike Marvel with the Spidey/X-Men/FF deals).  It seems like they saw how successful Avengers was, and now they are rushing to get to Justice League to keep up (and make money of course).

That isn't to say it still can't be a good movie though, even without the buildup.  Obviously, this is the way they are going about it, so I'm still going to hope for the best.  I was just reading an article the other day about this (when the Darkseid rumors hit) and they really need to put their best foot forward with this.  They are going to have a lot of competition in the summer of '15 (just Star Wars and Avengers alone), and if it bombs or gets buried that could really hurt the chances of any non-Batman characters/movies in the future.  I hope they get their stuff together.  Heck, Marvel has me excited for a Guardians of the Galaxy movie - a team I really didn't know about prior to a few years ago - and that's from someone who has been reading Marvel in various capacities since I was 5.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 5, 2013, 09:01 PM »
One of the latest batch of rumors out concerning the JLA movie is that Christopher Nolan is "in talks" to be a sort of godfather over not only JLA but other DC hero franchises as well.  Also rumors that Bale may return for either a JLA movie or a Batman/Superman movie, and that Zack Snyder may be involved in some way as well.  Sounds like WB is waiting to see how Man of Steel does before moving forward with anything.

Not sure what to make of this news.  It is just silly how difficult it is for Warners to get the whole DCU going.  They are so afraid to be "copying" Marvel that they just don't know how to go about it it seems.  Hopefully they'll get some things together soon.  As for Nolan/Bale, I'm not sure what to think of it.  Nolan is a brilliant film maker, and I loved his Batman trilogy, but at the same time I don't know if JLA needs to be gritty/grounded/whatever  you want to call it to live in that same world.  He'd likely be producing at most, so that doesn't necessarily mean they would go that direction....but I think JLA should be similar in tone to Avengers, less gritty, more fun.  Also like Bale as Bruce/Batman, but would be a little surprised if he'd return.  It would be nice to build the universe that way though as well.

My one thing with Batman that I keep coming back to is that if they are going to reboot things, or even just restart again after JLA...I wouldn't mind seeing a Batman world where some of the maybe goofier concepts could be included too.  I may be in the minority, but I'd like to see Robin appear, as well as Batgirl, etc.  Not the Batman Forever or Batman and Robin versions of course, but done well.  I think Robin in particular gets a bit of a bad rap any more as everyone thinks of the character (whatever version) as the pixie boots/bare legs and goofy Burt Ward style.  In the comics, he's not that way anymore and hasn't been portrayed that way for awhile.  Dick Grayson is one of my favorite characters, so I'd of course like to see him included the most, but even versions like Tim Drake (or even Damian Wayne) would be cool as well.  I always say it, but I think Batman: TAS strikes the perfect tone for the whole Bat family, as well as some of the goofier villains like Mr. Freeze and Clayface, and I'd like to see some of that tone carried over to the big screen now that we've gotten the super serious/gritty Batman trilogy we've wanted as well.