Author Topic: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 5  (Read 67881 times)

Offline RyanMan12

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 5
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2014, 10:23 AM »
A quick video on the frailty of the figure. Again, great figure but a bad toy.

I saw the video.  Do you think it will become a peg warmer?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2014, 11:05 AM »
No.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Do you think it will become a peg warmer?

No.

I know.  It has to get to the pegs first and it looks like there's nary a hope of seeing them at B&M stores.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2014, 03:04 PM »
A quick video on the frailty of the figure. Again, great figure but a bad toy.

Went to bed last night ready to pass on Vader due to the head issue, but for some reason I woke up this morning, read some more reviews on how awesome/posable he is and I'm waffling back to wanting one again.   ::)

Read a few reports from folks saying there's an easy fix by tinkering with the cape/neck area, but others say they've tried it and their Vader still sucks. 

I have one sitting here from my Wave 5 case, just can't decide if I should open it up or not.  What to do, what to do...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:09 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Meh.

I'm getting mine I think, and I'll hack it up.  I'm definitely not buying more though.  It would help make an "ultimate" one, but it'll be a bit of work.  To me, it's a failed effort because of the head though.  The body is fine, and you might be able to fix it (you may not either), but at this stage I'm soured on it pretty much.  I'd cancel the pre-order but it'll just tack shipping on so piss on it.  I'll keep it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Can someone please explain to me what exactly is going on with the 3.75" Black Series?

The Wave 5 case has a horrible ratio, but somehow, EE can offer individual figures like Ree Yees and the Skiff Guard for sale individually, how is that possible? Are they getting solid case re-packs of these figures? Are the figures you're going to get when you order them individually going to be in the new "Blue" Black Series TIE Pilot cardbacks?

What is this "Case of 18" that I've read about - I know it's cancelled, but are the Wave 6 and 7s that have been mentioned are what's coming instead? If so, for example, why does EE only have for sale individually the R5-G19 and Hoth Luke, but not Malgus and Starkiller?

Thanks...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2014, 05:39 PM »
Yes, at some point in the near future, Hasbro is supposedly making straight figure cases for select figures - a box of 12x Ree-Yees, a box of 12x Skiff Dude, etc - in addition to the standard "mix of 12" retail cases for each wave. 

I haven't really kept up on the solid-case stuff, so I'm not sure if it's been confirmed which cardback they will have.  Also, I believe I heard that while pretty much all of the 6" figures will get solid-figure case, that isn't true for the 3.75" stuff - only select figures will get cases.  Not sure if that means only the "new" figures or what.

What is this "Case of 18" that I've read about - I know it's cancelled, but are the Wave 6 and 7s that have been mentioned are what's coming instead?

That's the rumor.  What was once a "mega-case of 18" seems to have been broken up into Waves 6, 7, and 8 according to the rumor.  Or it may be completely different by the time it all shakes out with all the changes going on at Hasbro these days and those 18 will be scattered across even more waves.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2014, 05:57 PM »
I have one sitting here from my Wave 5 case, just can't decide if I should open it up or not.  What to do, what to do...

OPEN THAT ************, NATAKU!!
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2014, 09:49 PM »
Dang peer pressure...  I opened up Vader tonight.  A very impressive specimen... with a head that falls off easy.  :-[

Super easy to pose.  Great head sculpt.  The chain is less annoying than my initial impression.  Definitely not perfect.  Definitely not the greatest Vader of all time.  But really, really close.  I'd agree with the 95% awesome, 5% annoying reviews.

I tried the boil-and-freeze trick on Vader.  Dropped his head in a cup of boiling water and let it warm up.  Pulled it out with a tongs, slapped it on the ball joint (with the cape tucked properly under the ball), and squished it together.  Set it in the freezer for a bit.  After the boil-and-freeze, his head is much less loose on the peg. Still comes off if you pull on it, but it takes effort to pull it off and doesn't just fall off with the slightest touch.

Seems like it is some sort of mold issue, where Vader's neck is widening out as it cools and affecting the fit.  If the neck were a bit narrower or the ball head penetrated a bit deeper (#thatswhatshesaid), it'd be much more effective I think.

So, pre boil-and-freeze, 95% awesome.  Post boil-and-freeze, 98% awesome - but still annoying that I had to monkey with it in the first place (especially for $10).

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #144 on: September 3, 2014, 02:24 PM »
Just ordered this wave off of HTS. Shipping around 9/22.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 3, 2014, 04:16 PM »
My Amazon pre-order is estimating Sept. 17.

Just the three new figures for this wave or is the Wedge new too?
« Last Edit: September 3, 2014, 04:16 PM by Rob »

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #146 on: September 3, 2014, 04:40 PM »
My Amazon pre-order is estimating Sept. 17.

Just the three new figures for this wave or is the Wedge new too?

Wedge is new.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 3, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Thanks.  I had neglected to order him...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 5, 2014, 12:38 PM »
These are up at HTS, shipping on 9/22.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2014, 12:02 PM »
Got this wave last night.  Sergeant Doallyn is why I still love this as a hobby.  Even though getting a never-before-made background character is a rarity these days, it was awesome to open that one up.  The Ree Yees is fantastic too.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:13 PM by Rob »