Author Topic: Star Wars "Command" - Lil Plastic Army Men Line  (Read 8943 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Star Wars "Command" - Lil Plastic Army Men Line
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:55 PM »
Basically Hasbro's trying the "little plastic army men" idea in the line...

Didn't Hasbro already try these?  Between mini-Unleashed, and the original Clone Wars 3-packs?  ???
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars "Command" - Lil Plastic Army Men Line
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 03:08 PM »
2" Scale? 

Again, wasn't this tried in the old mini-Unleashed line?   :-\

Tied to Rebels... striking while the iron is hot I guess, and they're cheap to make things like this so little risk for possible reward.  I don't see them taking off though.

If it were a playable game ala miniatures battles, and one that focused on "army building", I'd actually be more interested in the concept myself.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:09 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 05:16 PM »
It is not tied to Rebels, the figures come from all the sources.

I think my favorite was a tusken with gaffi stick that mimicked the classic "guy with bayonette raised over his head" army guy.  There is a Star Destroyer remote control thing too...  definitely not just Rebels.

And they are different from mini-unleashed since they are single-color, dirt cheap army men (only Star War characters).  If you've ever played with army men, you'll seee they replicated so many of the "classic" poses - sniper, medic, officer with pistol drawn, etc.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:11 PM »
I didn't realize they weren't painted too...  Interesting.  I've noticed little bags of army guys making a comeback in toy aisles.  Those had gone away for a while...  Can't argue that "dirt cheap" angle...  If it works great, if not, probably didn't impact their overall budget enough to matter.  Like Angry Birds/Pods the stuff is probably just so cheap to manufacture that you can't go wrong trying.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 09:35 PM »
And here's the Toy Fair 2014 Gallery

I think these are kind of fun from a simple toy perspective.  Like you said Jesse, this is sort of the new, dirt cheap Angry Birds / Fighter Pods / whatever.  Not sure kids play with army guys anymore, but like you said Jesse they are making a comeback of sorts.

Here's that Tusken I was talking about...

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 09:49 PM »
I can already see the bottle rockets being attached to Jango's back now.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 09:56 PM »
This line could be fun. I like the Hoth and Clone Wars stuff at least, like the AT-TE, Battle Droids, and Snowtroopers.

Jeff, did you hear anything about pricing for these? I want to know just how cheap is "cheap"!  :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 10:02 PM »
I like the guy with the binocs up...  That's another of those classic poses.  :)

Yeah bottle rockets and BB Guns...  These were the first things I shot at, as a kid.  I earned my marksmanship badge from shooting at little army guys.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 10:08 PM »
About $0.50 each for the figures...  nine-packs for $5 and then they go up from there.  From the press release:

STAR WARS® COMMAND Battle Packs
(Ages: 4 & up/ Approximate retail price: $4.99/ Available: Fall 2014)
The battle is in kids’ hands with STAR WARS COMMAND! Each STAR WARS COMMAND Battle Pack features nine permanently posed and collectibly-sized figures —eight soldiers and one specially detailed General—for kids to pit against their friends in epic battles! Each pack sold separately.

STAR WARS® COMMAND Versus Packs
(Ages: 4 & up/ Approximate retail price: $9.99/ Available: Fall 2014)
Each STAR WARS COMMAND Versus Pack features ten permanently posed and collectibly-sized figures —eight soldiers and two specially detailed Generals—plus two vehicles on stands for kids to pit against their friends in epic battles! Each pack sold separately.

STAR WARS® COMMAND Invasion Packs
(Ages: 4 & up/ Approximate retail price: $14.99/ Available: Fall 2014)
Kids can customize their attacks with STAR WARS COMMAND Invasion Packs. Each pack features ten permanently posed and collectibly-sized figures —eight soldiers and two specially detailed Generals—plus four vehicles on stands and two special Strikers that kids can rev up and launch into battle! Each pack sold separately.

STAR WARS® COMMAND Epic Assault Pack
(Ages: 4 & up/ Approximate retail price: $19.99/ Available: Fall 2014)
The STAR WARS COMMAND Epic Assault Pack features two armies and everything kids need to stage an epic battle right out of the box! Comes with 14 permanently posed and collectibly-sized figures —12 soldiers and two specially detailed Generals—plus six vehicles on stands and two special Strikers that kids can rev up and launch into battle!

STAR WARS® COMMAND MILLENNIUM FALCON Set
(Ages: 4 & up/ Approximate retail price: $29.99/ Available: Fall 2014)
Now, kids can finally take command of the greatest battles in STAR WARS history! STAR WARS COMMAND lets kids pit huge armies of collectibly-sized figures and vehicles against each other to determine the fate of the galaxy! The STAR WARS COMMAND MILLENNIUM FALCON features one of the most iconic vehicles in the STAR WARS universe, plus two armies for everything kids need to stage an epic battle right out of the box! Kids can pull back the MILLENNIUM FALCON and see it race forward then blast into battle at hyper speed! Set also comes with 24 permanently posed and collectibly-sized figures which includes 22 soldiers and two specially detailed Generals—plus six vehicles on stands and two special Strikers that kids can rev up and launch into battle!

STAR WARS® COMMAND STAR DESTROYER Set
(Ages: 4 & up/ Approximate retail price: $59.99/ Available: Fall 2014)
Now, kids can finally take command of the greatest battles in STAR WARS history! STAR WARS COMMAND lets kids pit huge armies of micro-figures and vehicles against each other for the fate of the galaxy! Using the Controller, you can control the flagship of the evil GALACTIC EMPIRE with the power of the FORCE!! Send the STAR DESTROYER backwards or forwards, then unleash up to 4 Energy Blast balls to devastate your opponent’s army! Also comes with eight permanently posed and collectibly-sized figures —six soldiers and two specially-detailed Generals.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Overall, cheap seems to be pretty cheap. :) I don't have any interest in the "striker" type vehicles, but the $5 and $10 sets could be tempting.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 03:48 AM »
Those prices are better than I expected.  These just may suck me in.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #11 on: August 4, 2014, 10:10 PM »
I received 3 of the 9pks today from Entertainment Earth - Sandtrooper Strike (ANH), Imperial Assault (Star Wars Rebels) and Galactic Empire (ROTJ). I foresee myself (like Fighter Pods before them) to be all in on these. They are TOTALLY reminiscent of green army men and there is enough variety in characters to really rope someone with OCD in to the line. The vehicles don't interest me that much (none are included in these sets) because of their scale.

The figures themselves are slightly larger than the Hologram figures that came with the TSC line.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 5, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Hasbro should have made a real green army men bucket of figures for this line. Imagine getting fifty random guys in a bucket for about $10. That would make them worth it. If people still customized, these could be nicely painted along the lines of Warhammer.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours