Author Topic: ReAction Lines  (Read 173085 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
ReAction Lines
« on: September 2, 2013, 08:31 PM »
http://doomkick.com/reaction-figures-expands-to-make-all-our-vintage-dreams-come-true/

Holy ****...Holy ****...look at what is coming next year all in Kenner style:

Back to the Future
Aliens
Predator
Universal Monsters
Terminator 1 and 2
The Goonies
Escape from NY
Firefly
Dark Crystal
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV Series)
Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: ReAction Lines
« Reply #1 on: September 2, 2013, 08:50 PM »
Wow....just, wow.  These have to be huge next year, right?  I would think so anyways.  I didn't get any of the Alien ones, but thought they looked pretty nifty.  Goonies?  I'm definitely in.  Maybe a few others as well, depending on price and all of that.  Pretty cool news, thanks for sharing Scott.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 2, 2013, 09:43 PM »
This is awesome, and likely to get me to purchase some of the 5 POA Star Wars figures to go along with these. I'm in for at least Back to the Future, and probably some stuff from Alien and Terminator.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 2, 2013, 09:55 PM »
Firefly?  Cool.  I hope these will be available at TRU or someplace like that.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 2, 2013, 10:22 PM »
It's cool to see that so many properties will be getting four inch figures. I just hope they won't all be $20 per figure like the Alien figures. If it ends up being a premium price for vintage quality, I will be more than happy to pass.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: September 3, 2013, 02:17 AM »
I'm into aliens terminator predator and eacapr from NY...  But like above not for $20/per. :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 3, 2013, 09:43 AM »
Brian from ReAction posted about this in the RS forum over the weekend. (More specifically commenting on the strategic alliance with Funko)

The thing that bothers me is that they are saying now they they will send a free "mystery figure" out to all the people who pre-ordered the Alien figs directly from them. (The ones that went up on BBTS and EE were much cheaper)

But they don't say anything about the people who ordered the Early Bird sets getting the mystery figure too. And if anyone deserves it, it's that segment of collectors, the people that ponied up right away to help support the line. (Yes, I am personally invested in this)

The whole 2-pack prototype thing has left a bad test in a lot of people's mouths, so I hope they do the right thing and show us some love by sending out the mystery figure with all the Early Bird sets too. It's a real PITA trying to be a completist in this line and they haven't even been released yet.

It's an interesting choice of properties slated for next year, to be sure. Escape from New York figures? Only my favorite movie of all time, so bring em on. Aliens and Predator sound cool too.

Dark Crystal I don't really get because there actually was an action figure line for these, albeit stillborn.

The one I simply cannot believe they whiffed on is V. OMG, this is the one every 80's kid wanted! They actually had a line in the works too, just never materialized. I would buy those in a frigging heartbeat.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 3, 2013, 09:59 AM »
I didn't see the price point listed in that article, but assume it's from pre-orders.  Wow!  $20/figure... and 5 PoA, 4".  Definitely not worth it.  Especially since you can get some larger scale Aliens figures for a couple bucks cheaper with more PoA and better likenesses.  I guess we're paying for the nostalgia factor.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: September 3, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Steve, the original "ReAction" Alien figures set that kicked off this line this summer had a price of $20 each or $100 for the 5-figure set. 

But, with the new agreement with Funko, it looks like going forward they may be coming in closer to $15 each thanks Funko's increased production capability. 

Here's the thing McMetal was talking about - the freebie for the Super7 Alien  buyers and the updated price info:

Super7 x FUNKO ReAction Figures!

Funko™ and Super7™ are excited to announce a new strategic partnership to debut and extend the ReAction Figure™ 3 3/4″ line..

One of the most unique and highly anticipated toys of San Diego Comic-Con 2013 was the pre-order and launch of Super7′s™ ReAction Figures™ Alien™ line. From the “Lost Prototype” 2-pack and Early Bird Kit to the the full reveal of the final Alien™ ReAction figures™ , the collector community was in a frenzied state over this new “retro style” look of toys within the action figure community. At the same time, Funko’s™ continued growth and expanding product line made it’s San Diego Comic-Con booth one of the single most travelled spots of the entire convention. After years of sharing the same aisle together, Super7™ and Funko™ saw an incredible opportunity to leverage each other’s unique business insights into a more strategic partnership. Beginning with the launch of the Highly anticipated Alien™ ReAction Figures™ and then several licenses to be announced soon, both companies look to establish a firm collaborative footprint in the market with the ReAction Figures ™ line.

Our original SRP was $19.95, and the 5 figure set was $100. Funko will be able to produce in much larger quantities and wider distribution, and has a $14.95 SRP, which is $75 for the set. We are aware of the discrepancy in price with the new agreement, so there is a additional, secret figure that will be included in the Super7 pre-orders that will be available only for those who pre-ordered sets of Alien from us, and will not be available anywhere else. (And preorders are long since closed.) We think it will be a nice thank you to everyone who believed in this project and pre-ordered ahead of time, being part of the excitement of the release of this long-awaited line of figures.

Thank you to everyone who has helped making this toy line come true – we have a lot more surprises in store for you!
« Last Edit: September 3, 2013, 11:19 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 3, 2013, 12:47 PM »
That sounds neat, but my nostalgia dies around the $10 mark.

Universal Monsters had a Kenner-esque line from Remco that was good (especially for Remco).

Some company made a silly looking Terminator 3 3/4" line...years before Playmates. I have the endo skeleton figure.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #10 on: September 3, 2013, 06:09 PM »
This sounds amazing. I love the idea of Firefly, Terminator, and Buffy figures the same size as my Star Wars figures. Now if they could get their hands on Star Trek...
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: September 3, 2013, 06:27 PM »
Diddly mentioned this having some cross-appeal with the Star Wars figures, but again I wonder... these aren't new looking guys.  Definitely Kenner-esque in EVERY way...  right down to the simple dot with a curved line eye paint aps.

These, to me, are EVERYTHING I wish the new SW 5 POA figures were...  Simplistic in sculpt and paint ap styles...  The new Hasbro SW figures are crisp and intended to look good, with Hasbro even saying they think it's some of their best sculpting work.   :-\  While I don't agree with that, I do think they're solid efforts to blend in with the rest of the hyper realistic stuff we've gotten since basically 1995...

I WISH there was a line of Star Wars figures like this, adding to the original Vintage 78-85 line...  If they wanted my money, that's all they'd need to do...  Tarkin, Fleet Trooper, Bikini Leia, Stormtrooper Han, Sandtrooper...  Hasbro would destroy me with stuff like this, for Star Wars, that blends seamlessly with the original line and expands upon it.  Even dumbed down weapon sculpts...  wow.

As it stands, like I said, Aliens, Terminator, etc., have my interest....

not all, but some do.  Price will dictate how much.  And if you have to order by the set, or if case packs are maybe decent and I can break up a set with someone...  I really do want to be "in" for this stuff when it comes out.  It's all pricing and what they ultimately do.

Now, that said, if Aliens still was doing waves of Snap Kit figures under Hot Toys, I'd be a much happier Aliens fan. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: September 3, 2013, 08:30 PM »
I'm all about it. BTVS in particular. I'd love to see Hasbro tackle a vintage esque line like this for SW. I think there's a market for it and if history is any guide Hasbro will look to follow this trend in the next year or two.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 3, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Adding to vintage Kenner in style would be neat to a point (original trilogy only). But then they couldn't bother to get rocket-firing Fett's foot holes the vintage size.

Of course,  when talking "retro" style, we must remember that vintage Kenner SW evolved. Sculpting improved. They ditched the telescoping sabers. They started to use a few posed stances (Hoth Luke, Jedi Luke, black Bespin Guard). More soft goods. But most folks talking retro probably think 1977, lightsaber inside arms, cheap plastic capes, simpler sculpting.

So would you want Tarkin as they'd make him in 1978 or 1985? Rebel Fleet Trooper? Mon Mothma? Garindan? Ceremony Luke? 
« Last Edit: September 3, 2013, 08:47 PM by Scockery »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: September 3, 2013, 09:07 PM »
I don't think the differences (evolution) was drastic enough that it matters terribly...  to me the sculpts didn't improve too much really.  I think they could do whatever and I'd generally be happy so long as it was truly that dumbed down 78-85 look...  These new 5POA figures are, detail-wise, as good as anything 1995-now...  There will always be one here or there that's lacking some, but besides the articulation count these are figures that aren't different to what we've had since the new line began.

On sabers, I'd be ok maybe even seeing both styles...  all it would take is a new arm. 

On PT...  It's like 6" to me.  Don't go ape**** putting out 90 figures immediately, dip into it slowly and see how it goes at first, but I'd not be totally opposed to PT...  Some will, some won't, just like 6" figures.  Retro looking QGJ, OWK, and Maul though?  I've seen customs and kinda dig what was done there...  I don't think I'd mind.  I probably wouldn't pick up every knob they put out but the mains?  I think I'd be in.

A Vader that style that had a pop off helmet?  Hells yeah.

When I got into the hobby it was prior to the modern line's existance...  I customized a LOT of vintage figures of my own.  The obligatory "Scanner Tech" with an officer's head on an AT-ST Driver's body, the Fleet Trooper using a Han base and DST head with some extra extensions glued on and whatnot (same with Antilles only different paint).  A Tarkin repaint of an officer and a random 3.75" figure's head....  I loved that stuff.  It was all I had and while I wanted something nice looking, they still had the old sculpts and the paint details weren't much better.  No "washes" and whatnot.  No multiple layered eyes. 

Imagine if the right arm popped on and off, and one arm had a sliding saber, and the other was open handed to hold a separate saber weapon?  I'd be totally into that little extra "umph" for sure. :)