Collectibles > Saga Legends

2013 Japan Blind-Box Saga Legends Figures

<< < (2/8) > >>

Jesse James:
Already up on you on that, as I never even remotely considered the Kubrick craze something I was into, haha... 

I think $3 (Lego guys) is a dandy deal...  I could see the SW figures for $4, and I'd be into them for that...  For $6 I wanna see.

$4 burning a hole in my pocket though...  I'd buy blind-bagged stuff.

I'm just getting home to read news/look at stuff thoroughly myself Jeff, and I'm looking at these again, and while I have read some negative response to these, honestly, for the right price, I think they're cool and would do well sucking kids in...

Imagine these for $4 at 5 Below!  Tell me you're not buying, just to buy?  I do that with Legos...  why not figures to a line I already have a ****load of?  Take my chances on fodder figures, or whatnot...  I'd be into it.  I wouldn't go nuts buying everything this way, but honestly, I kinda wish this is how these were marketed all together for a slightly lesser price...  Packaging costs should get them to $4, right?   Bag them...  like Legos.  I'd be into it.

It's, to me, like those littel fighter pod guys in bubble gum machines.  I, 9 chances out of 10, would stop and put change in to get them for $.50 or whatever.

Darby:
I'd be all over something like this. I think it's cool and it reminds me a little of the vintage tomy (takara?) boxed figures. I have a friend in Japan helping me obtain a case of these.

Jesse James:
Talked about these elsewhere, but Hot Toys Snap Kit figures were sold this way...  Not only a highly detailed action figure, but also a "kit" you built...  And the Aliens ones were sold in 1/6 scale Alien eggs to boot, that you could put with 1/6 figures assuming you bought those too...

Like I said, if I already own a buttload of figures that are like these, why not $4 blind pack ones?  It would only work if they didn't have carded ones IMO, but I think it's a clear gimmick that works well at the checkout and would get the kids into it...  Piss off adults?  Sure.  But since when did that matter?

It's sorta funny how when it annoys you it's bad for the hobby.  When it doesn't, it isn't.

Scockery:
I think they should toss ten random figures in a header bag with 10 random accessories, sell them like army men.  :P

I've bought random GI JOE figure lots from China a couple of times, and that was mostly disappointing, probably because the 2002-2006 New sculpt/G2 era lost its appeal to me. And about 7/10 of the random figures are those style. They are rarely cheap enough to take the risk (had to be well under $2 a figure for me). It's kind of like playing the lottery, only you actually get something besides a piece of paper. Some of those somethings might have factory grime on them, or even marker writing. Or the wrong parts. Never tried the random SW lots, because they are never cheap enough (and sellers who sell them seem to be smart enough to pick out better figures to sell in lots by themselves.)

So random chance has a fun appeal to a point.

McMetal:
I see a lot of pro opinions on this, and nary a con, so allow me to humbly offer an opposing viewpoint.

I think blind boxing/bagging ANY toy is a complete rip-off and companies just use this stupid tactic to stick consumers with a bunch of crap they don't need or want.

Just make a good product and sell it at a good price. I don't see the need to trick someone into buying something they already have. Any sense of excitement or surprise IMO is going to be quickly snuffed out by disappointment over opening your 14th or 15th Anakin in a row when all you wanted was Captain Rex.

The only thing that impresses me about this merchandising gimmick is that any company was ever able to get consumers to buy into this nonsense. I went through this a few years ago with the Kid Robot Adult Swim stuff and it was a nightmare. You just end up having to go to eBay and overpaying to get the one you really want, and it pretty much destroys any possibility of being a carded collector.

Maybe I'm not the target audience for this, and that is fine, and if they want to sell this swag over in Japan it's no skin off my nose. But I get nervous when I see people talking this up in the States becuase it would be a nightmare for collectors over here, I truly believe that. Please let's not give Hasbro any more ideas on ways to screw us over.

Would anyone really want blind boxed groceries? or DVD's? or comics? I don't see how toys are any different.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version