Author Topic: NFL 2013-2014  (Read 17239 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2013-2014
« Reply #30 on: December 8, 2013, 04:03 PM »
I like the fact that weather conditions affect the game. Football has always been an all-weather sport, and the varying conditions make it that much more interesting to me. What about when high winds affect the passing game and kicking game?  Personally, I don't see the sense in coddling these professional athletes with a perfect climate.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 8, 2013, 04:26 PM »
I don't look at it as coddling. I look at it as playing the game in conditions that make it still the sport it is. That being said, I don't think the NFL has a choice so it is what it is. Obviously they can't play the game later in the week.

How horrible is it going to be if the Super Bowl is played in these conditions this year? I think it would be an embarrassment.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2013, 05:08 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 8, 2013, 05:06 PM »
Just wanted to say I thought Samuel Jackson did a great job playing Rob Gronkowski is "Unbreakable".
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 8, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Now tonight it's the #1 defense Carolina Panthers vs the Saints, this will be a great game and then they play again in two weeks!
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 9, 2013, 10:29 AM »
I think that the league can expect more injuries like Gronk's as the trade off for taking away head injuries.  That said, I think the strategy on taking down a guy like Gronk who is so big is to go for the legs.  Unfortunate for all of us NE fans, but a perfectly legit hit.  Gronk's history of injuries have a direct correlation to the way he plays and his body type.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 11:07 AM »
LOVE the snow games.

I think that the league can expect more injuries like Gronk's as the trade off for taking away head injuries.  That said, I think the strategy on taking down a guy like Gronk who is so big is to go for the legs.  Unfortunate for all of us NE fans, but a perfectly legit hit.  Gronk's history of injuries have a direct correlation to the way he plays and his body type.

There's no 'think' about it - ACL tears are up from about 20 two years ago, to 30 last year, and now it's over 40 this year with three weeks to go.

So it's more than doubled in since 2011.

Meanwhile, an ACL takes a guy out of the game for a year where a concussion takes him out for a week or two.  But, no one gets sued over ACL's or suffers memory loss, so here we are with penalties galore and guys shredding their knees.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 04:20 PM »
The increase of ACL tears is definitely worrisome, but I think the concussion situation has far more lasting affects into later life.  The NFL finally seems to be taking the issue seriously.  Witness the huge payout the NFL made to retired players for head injuries.

Knees can be repaired structurally.  An ACL injury used to mean the end of a career, but sports medicine has made some great strides forward in repair and rehab.  And no doubt the NFL is going to start looking at lower body hits, the current rules, the turf and shoes in combination to try to deal with this uptick in knee injuries.

But I think it's the head injuries that are the bigger concern.  When you have recently retired veterans like Brett Favre coming out and saying they have concerns about the safety of kids playing the game in relation to concussions?  That's significant.  And more parents are getting concerned about letting their kids play football.  The injuries seem that much more brutal than in other sports.  And parents seem to be steering their kids to other sports with less potential for serious injury.

How horrible is it going to be if the Super Bowl is played in these conditions this year? I think it would be an embarrassment.

I couldn't disagree more.  Look back at some of the most storied games in the history of the NFL.  Case in point?  The Ice Bowl of 1967.  Lambeau Field in Green Bay was frozen, and those conditions were a major factor in the outcome of that game.  If we wind up with conditions like that for this season's Super Bowl?  That game could quickly go down as one of the legendary championship games in NFL history.  And maybe something like this will drive away some of the corporate clown who now take up so many of the seats at the game, letting actual fans become more of a factor in a Super Bowl.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:25 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 04:42 PM »
I'm on the wagon of loving weather affecting the game...  Heat, snow, wind, rain, sleet...  The game should have weather as a factor into how you play, just as noise and other things impact it.

Frankly I think EVERY city should have a Super Bowl available to it...  It should be a rotation, like some All Star games.  It's kind of unfair financially that only cities with domes or generally good weather get the benefit of all the hooplah and income surrounding the Super Bowl.  I'd be fine with the cities involved in the Super Bowl being the ones getting it even, based on records, like most sports.

If you can't play in snow, you can't play the game to me.  I get the commercial appeal they want though, I just don't agree with it.

My gf's boys actually elevated their games in mud, snow, etc.  If we were on a grass field and playing in a lot of rain, I knew two things.  Laundry, and the kids were going to destroy someone.  It never failed.

My gf's oldest came up after a sack this year, and both he and the QB had mud caked in their masks clear to his face.  I could tell he was loving it.  Just like when he was little.  The QB, not so much.  :D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Yeah, the weather was cool to me.  I mean, if you don't want to watch/play football in the snow, then the season should be spring through fall.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Yeah I think the heat is almost a safety issue too when dealing with people with that kind of size as well, but it's a factor when you go down south, and teams play it up against opponents by wearing whites instead of their color to throw northern teams off...  The Steelers get stuck in black often when they're down south.

Denver has their elevation as an advantage too...  When you live there and are used to it, great, but when you don't it's an adjustment for sure.  Environment is huge I think, and taking it out of the SB just cheapens the SB to me somewhat.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2013, 10:44 AM »
Wow what an exciting finish to the NFL season, none of the NFC divisions have been won yet - will it be my Panthers or the Saints to win the South, will the Seahawks finally win the division they've dominated all year? Does anybody want to win the NFC North and East? I guess the Packers will scrape out a win and the Eagles will get it done. But then that still doesn't determine who are the #1 and #2s yet, it will take til the end of the day to see how it all plays out. But if the past few years is any indication (including the last time the Panthers were in the playoffs at #2 in 2008) it was the lower ranked seeds that won out and made it to the Superbowl!
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Some pretty amazing games today, particularly the Packers vs. Bears.  Would stuck to be a Chicago fan right now, but that was a fun game no matter who you were rooting for.  Now we just have to shake off the rust for the playoffs.  Go pack go!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 06:46 AM »
Any league would LOVE the drama that the NFL had this past weekend.  How many games were meaningful in some way all the way down to the final snaps of the games? 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 10:40 AM »
In all honesty, this was the year I really came to loathe NFL football, and not just because I was a Redskins fan, although that had a lot to do with it. It's the media I can't take anymore. Sports "journalism" has sunk to an alltime low IMHO. It's all just a cacophony of screaming voices, idiots saying ridiculous things, quoting outrageous lies from 'unnamed sources', and so on. A player is either the next best thing ever or a bum. If they're not rushing to build someone up, they're rushing to tear them down. It's become sickening.

For the first year in as long as I can remember, I have ZERO interest in watching the playoffs or even the stinking Superbowl. I just don't care.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2013, 02:07 PM »
Can't believe the Brown's Coach couldn't turn that franchise around in one season.  ::) ::) ::) ::)