Author Topic: Buying a New Computer?  (Read 12160 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Buying a New Computer?
« on: December 22, 2002, 12:36 AM »
Hey everybody!  I'm looking to buy a new computer pretty soon, since the one we've currently got at home is about 6 years dated now (P2 266 Mhz).  We've got a Compaq right now, and have generally been pretty happy with it, but are open to exploring some new options.  I'm inclined to stick with either Compaq, HP, Dell, or Gateway.

What do you all have and are you happy with it?  Any computer geeks (no offense) out there who have some good insight on what I should be looking for?  What brand names do you most recommend?  How 'bout monitors as well?

Thanks for any input - I greatly appreciate it!
« Last Edit: November 7, 2005, 11:35 AM by Jeff »

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re:Buying a new computer soon... Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 01:18 PM »
Hey, here is what I think would be good.

Brand:
Dell
Compaq
HP
NOT GATEWAY- they are not all that they are cracked up to be. Lot's of problems in my experiance.

I would get:
2.0 GHZ Pentium 4 Processor
533 Ram
40 + GB Hard Drive (40 is fine, if you want more, go for it)
DVD
Cd Burner

You could pick this package up for around $899.

Anything else, let me know.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Buying a new computer soon... Suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: May 2, 2003, 02:57 PM »
Well, After minutes of research, I took the plunge and went with a Dell...

2.2 GHz Pentium 4
256 MB RAM (I have another 256 Card in my current computer)
30 GB Hard Drive
17" Mointor
CD and CD-RW

Which pretty much covers the highlights, all for $600 shipped after applicable rebates and junk.  I was quite pleased with what I am getting and can finally retire old Bessy, a 233 MHz with 1 GB Hard Drive which is about plum full.  I am going to suprise my wife next week...hopefully she doesn't read this :-*
« Last Edit: May 2, 2003, 03:43 PM by OCB »

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 2, 2003, 03:29 PM »
I have an iMac at home. After years of using Apples for graphic design and even illustration, I just had to have a Macintosh at home. I use it for everything from freelance to shopping. I'm pretty excited about Apple's iTunes Music Store, too. It'll give me an excuse to upgrade my system.  ;)

I know that doesn't help you, Matt, but I take every opportunity I can to gush about my Mac.  ;D
Post sober.

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: May 2, 2003, 08:59 PM »
Scott, good choice. I just got myself a new Dell 2 weeks ago, I love it. Here are the specs:

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.52 Ghz (512 MB Front Side Bus)
512 MB of DDR Ram
60 GB Hard Drive
17" Monitor
One DVD Drive and One CD-RW Drive
128 MB ATI Radeon Pro 9700 Graphics Card
I even purchased a Bass for the speaker system on this baby

The old computer now is plugged into a hub and is my new server (not for JediDefender. :P)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: May 2, 2003, 09:29 PM »
I know that doesn't help you, Matt, but I take every opportunity I can to gush about my Mac.  ;D

This is me showing some self control and not making any sarcastic and/or deragatory comments towards a Mac user...   :-X  But I tell ya', you artists (and teachers it seems too) are just a sucker for these machines - ain'tchya?!   :-*  I think Angry Ewok's a little confused too and has a Mac also, right Brad?  Coincidentally, Brad fancies himself an artist as well!

Sadly enough, I'm glad this thread got bumped back up, as I still haven't gotten around to buying a new computer - now 4 months after I originally posted this thread.  We've just been saving all of our money for the down payment on the new house that we're never going to get!!!   >:(  (not that I'm getting bitter about it or anything)   :P

So I'm still leaning towards either Dell, Compaq, or HP.  Any more thoughts on any of those brands anyone?  I also want to get a good 3D graphics card for any of the SW games that have been released to date.  Any suggestions on that front as well?

Also, does anyone know when the Pentium 5's are due to come out?  Are we still a good year or more away from them?

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: May 2, 2003, 09:51 PM »
I am not sure about the Pentium 5. Right now computers are cheaper that they have been and the Pentium 4 is a great chip.

My graphics card is one of the best out their and it works like a charm (that Star Trek Bridge Commander is quite awesome on this sucker!!). :-*

Dell is nice!

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 2, 2003, 10:21 PM »
This is me showing some self control and not making any sarcastic and/or deragatory comments towards a Mac user...

Please notice that I can gush about my computer without bashing others' choices.  :)
Post sober.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: May 2, 2003, 10:25 PM »
My graphics card is one of the best out their and it works like a charm (that Star Trek Bridge Commander is quite awesome on this sucker!!). :-*

Don't you start up with that Star Trek nonsense again boss!  You know how I feel about that!   ::)   :P   :-*

* JediMAC slaps the Trekkie   ;D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: May 2, 2003, 10:30 PM »
This is me showing some self control and not making any sarcastic and/or deragatory comments towards a Mac user...

Please notice that I can gush about my computer without bashing others' choices.  :)

Ah, feel free to bash us Bill Gates supporters all you want too John!   ;)  I'm just messin' with you and Brad though!  Kinda like the whole Star Wars/Star Trek debate.  Just a fun rivalry really!   8)  I don't honestly think less of you for using a Mac, well not much less anyways...   ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: May 2, 2003, 10:33 PM »
I was a Mac fan until I graduated from College...I had to make the switch since Windows is pretty much standard in the business and science.   There are tons o' problems with Windows stuff too so I am not a total fanatic, the memories of my Mac continually crashing while writing term papers still haunts me

The concept of a monitor and computer in one thing is a great one methinks

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 2, 2003, 10:55 PM »
My first computer was a MacIntosh Classic.  A stunning piece of machinery and anyone that remembers better can correct me, but I think 2 Mb or Ram and 40 Mb hard drive.  Ah, the glory days.  Still like Macs, just not much point for the same reasons as Scott.  

I'm kind of in the same boat as Matt, but not in any hurry to get a new one.  Running a P II 333, 384 Mb Ram, 64 Mb Vid card, so all is still pretty good, at least for what I use it for.  Waiting for DVD burners to come down in price a bit more, and get the spin rate up.  

By the time I get a new one (late fall maybe), I'm hoping for 3+ GHz, 512 Mb Ram, 60+ GHz hard drive, 128 Mb Vid card, (probably pull my soundblaster Audigy out of this one and put the old one back in), CD-RW and DVD RW, Zip and away she goes.  But the price for that needs to come down quite a bit.  What is it, 3 months for processor turnover in terms of price?  6 months should make that all quite affordable.  Monitors should be good by then too.

My wife (the boss) has a Dell laptop she loves, so probably another Dell.  It all depends on price for the same quality of components.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 2, 2003, 11:42 PM »
I still have my Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1. 16K of Ram upgraded to 64. Disk drive 5 1/4 inch floppy. Cassette tape player for that fast loading of basic programs.  ::)

Still a classic from the past & it still works.  :o
Nothing like playing classic arcade games.  ;D

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 3, 2003, 03:15 PM »
Im definately going to suggest Sony, especially if you're a mediaphile. Not only are these probably some of the most aesthetically pleasing computers on the market, but their prices are competitive, and they are very reliable machines.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 3, 2003, 04:24 PM »
I've got a pretty nice HP Pentium 3 that I'm very happy with.  I hear good things about Dell as well, so that's a good choice also.  I used to have a Compaq several years ago and had a couple problems with it, so it's not a brand I recommend anymore.  Prices have dropped a bit in the last 6 months so you can can a real nice desktop for under a grand for sure.