Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels - Class II Vehicles  (Read 26236 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Rebels - Class II Vehicles
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2014, 01:17 PM »
Picked up the Sith Inquisitor's Prototype TIE and the AT-DP at the TRU near my work yesterday. They had the Phantom too - but I left it since I mostly wanted to take advantage of the BOGO40%Off sale that TRU is running right now. I also used a $5 coupon I had which brought the cost for the two vehicles down to $34 (including tax).

Haven't had a chance to open them yet, I'm sure once I get my hands on the AT-DP driver or Inquisitor figures, I'll get more excited about these vehicles....
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Saw all three today. I'll wait for the show to air to judge The Phantom. I like the other two. Especially the Tie Advanced. ATDP does seem a little small.

Can not get used to "Disney" on the box.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 04:37 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2014, 09:13 AM »
I picked up all 3 last night too. The boxes are staring at me right now begging to be opened!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 2, 2014, 10:52 AM »
I came across another full case of these at Target, but they didn't have the TIE with Inquisitor pack-in figure. I guess that version is coming later. I did go ahead and buy another AT-DP since I had a gift card ready to use up.

Opened it last night, it's a cool little vehicle, albeit a little spindly. I have no trouble getting it to sit upright but harder to mimic any kind of walking motion ala the AT-RT. I was pleasantly surprised to see at least a little detailing in the interior cockpit.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 3, 2014, 01:29 PM »
Is Target only offering their pack-in versions of the Inquisitor TIE and Phantom?  Or are they offering a pack-in version of the AT-DP as well?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 3, 2014, 01:44 PM »
Is Target only offering their pack-in versions of the Inquisitor TIE and Phantom?  Or are they offering a pack-in version of the AT-DP as well?

Right now it is just those two, but I believe there is an exclusive AT-DP set scheduled for the near future with the driver as a pack-in figure.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Just noticed that my target inquisitor tie is in a Tri-logo box.  Are they all like that?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:34 PM by Dave »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2014, 08:33 PM »
Mine is too, yeah...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2014, 10:37 PM »
Word on the street is someone got me an AT-DP and Inquisitor TIE at a pop-up TRU that opened this week, and I have coupons I plan to take and get the prices adjusted.  :D

First I've gotten a sniff of these, so I'm giddy.  We're always the ass end of distribution but these have really been slow going here.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2014, 12:52 PM »
Finally got to open my ATDP...  Have to say its definitely under scaled and Hasbro has cut corners like mad on this line.  Compare to a vehicle from 2011...  Wow what a difference in every way from deco to number of parts to even plastic used and how thick parts are.  I'm kind of shocked all it takes for a positive glowing review is a cockpit that holds a figure.  Otherwise this is honestly a very cheap toy.

It has some good points too like detail in the sculpt, and on the concave parts Hasbro added greeblies and little details to make you notice less how they cheaped out. 

The cockpit and drive section is where they really cut back though and what brings it down for me.  The drive section is completely hollow and both it and the cockpit needed to only be just a tad wider and longer to make it a more impressively scaled toy.  As it stands it has some customizing potential to me but as-is won't do and requires everything from a paint job (even just so light won't pass through the cheaper plastic) to maybe changing up the weapons and things since it is definitely too small.  The cartoon is establishing these as taller than ATST's and ATM the ATST is a behemoth by comparison.

It has a place in my collection, but not quite as what the show intended IMO.  It'll be something different once I'm done.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Yeah, that was my conclusion as well, about this and the Inquisitor's TIE. When you compare them to some of the recent Clone Wars vehicles like the V-19 and Hyena Bomber the new ones just feel cheap and flimsy by comparison. I haven't opened the Phantom yet but I expect as much there too.

Kinda makes me apprehensive for what the eventual Ghost will look like...

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2014, 12:23 PM »
The Rebels vehicles are really just bigger "versions" of the 2013 vehicle assortment, with the mini-Slave 1 and Jedi Fighters. The same cost-cutting measures are evident, like fewer paint apps, hollow areas, and "lighter" plastic. I'm torn on these vehicles since I would love to see what Hasbro could deliver at a $30+ price, but the $25 or less point is easier on the wallet and still provides a decent toy.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2014, 02:08 PM »
I don't even know that they're bigger!  They're mostly air, haha.

The AT-DP really deflated me.  It was the top vehicle, and one of the only toys, I was looking forward to this year.  It's not what I was hoping for.

Now, I opened the TIE/A Prototype last night when I got home just out of curiosity.  it's a little more solid than the AT-DP, and the cockpit's believable but they made the seat flat to accommodate the 5POA figures, and the lower hull portion snapped in separate...  I'd have preferred something a little more realistic with the seating.  The interior's neat though, there's detail...  There seems like a little more umph to this ship than the AT-DP I guess.

The Phantom's way underscaled and I'm not even buying.  I could design better (it's all angles) myself I think.  The TIE is the winner then for me so far...  The AT-DP has customizing potential I think, and could be something different than an AT-DP, but as the show's version of the walker it doesn't work.  Not unlike the AT-AP that came out...  Just too small.

And yes, flimsy!  The legs wobble and stuff.  It stands, but the plugs they give you to hold the legs in, they're not well made and come loose easily.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Fiddling with the TIE, wow...  Just wow.  ::)

5 POA has officially somehow ruined vehicle cockpits too.  The seats aren't raised at all, and it really screws with how a better figure sits/fits in there.  I'd have to make my own seat for this thing to look/feel right I think.  I dunno.  The TIE is definitely pretty slick by comparison to the AT-DP but not by any grand margin.

I kinda wish they'd just go back to Class I and ditch the Class II line...  I'd rather a more solid mini-rig with a figure, than the more flimsy stuff. 

And man, the Class II make that giant X-Wing look like a work of art, by comparison.  It has the same plastic, only thicker, and the same "hollow" design under the wings and such, but as a toy goes, if I'm a kid and I'm offered that X-Wing or the AT-DP, I'm going X-Wing all the time and for about $10 more.

The TIE is definitely better, and I think the Phantom from a toy perspective probably ranks around the same as the TIE (not my cup of tea, but I think it's probably around the same quality).  The AT-DP really let me down though.  Just...  cheap.  It's cheap in every way.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2014, 12:11 AM »
I have two of the AT-DPs put together and didn't have any issues with either. Everything fits together tightly and nothing is loose. Either I got lucky with mine, or you got a defective toy Jesse. I can easily see how things could get messed up during production if the pegs are mis-molded or holes drilled too large.

Personally I found the Phantom to be the best out of the three new vehicles, and probably the closest to the pre-2012 offerings. I'd recommend grabbing one if you find it on sale... it's cool for a generic shuttle. I haven't tried putting figures inside yet (or in any of the other Rebels vehicles) so I can't comment on functionality, but it looks pretty good on display.