Collectibles > Star Wars Rebels

Star Wars Rebels - 5 POA Animated Style Figs

<< < (10/12) > >>

Jesse James:
I think some of the wave breakdowns also falls into the realm where they're balancing waves financially...  Solid wave of all new is tough to do.  Rebels seemed like they were trying to phase it in with the existing MS and Legends stuff.

To be fair, I've not seen a Kanan, Ezra, Chopper, or Hera (is she out?) at all.  I have seen Zeb's set, and I saw Sabine at Target once.

I see both sides of the argument...  I didn't know what the first answer was, but seeing the second answer, I kind of see why Hasbro feels they've done well in the last year or two.  There are some pretty good female characters on their rundown, we're getting two Leia's, same costume, different scales soon...  Slave Leia's a top-demand figure, an outfit that's transcended into pop culture (for better or worse), and one of her more empowered outfits since she kills the dude that put her in it.  I dunno.

I think right now there aren't male characters to buy, nor female, haha.  I wanted Chopper, but if I don't get him that's ok.  But I also have never seen a sniff of him or the wave he was in, so I may have to deal without.

I think I'd be more annoyed with Disney, who I think made Hera and Sabine as kind of an answer to this outrage over lacking female characters in Star Wars, but I also feel they could've (and perhaps should've) gone the extra mile making either Kanan female, or Ezra, but not both of them human white males.  I'd have dug seeing Kanan a woman, and Ezra and her having a perhaps rough relationship because of that?  "Judge me by my gender, do you?"

Maybe cliche or something, but I'd find it a more interesting relationship dynamic I guess, than just the dudes going off and being forcey.

Anyway, off track there...

I'm not sure what to make of the question or answer really.  Was it a direct quote, or paraphrased?  If it was paraphrased, what was the exact direct quote then, assuming there's audio or whatever of it?  Without all that info it's kinda tough to say whether it was misquoting by one party or backpedaling by the other party, right?

It also is a weird situation at Toy Fair where people are really essentially fighting for time to talk to Hasbro reps amongst each other, especially when it's busier (not that it was this year).  And of course it's not something that's as private and controlled as SDCC is, so the answers can come a little on the quicker side.  What may seem dismissive was maybe not intended, but still came off that way because Q's and A's are getting rattled off fast.

I'd like to know more, really, about the question and the answer, verbatim, at least.

JediJman:
Okay, but the fact is that they did release Chopper and Zeb with the female figures still coming in a later wave.  While all of these have been hard to find, some people actually have Zeb and Chopper.  Pretty much no one has Hera and Sabine, who are at least equal-time cast members.  It's convenient to say that they have other female figures or they could have done this or that, but there is clearly a pattern of hesitation or bias when it comes to female figures.  When they are produced, they're usually in later waves and in limited numbers (per case) versus other characters.  Multiple versions of Ahsoka are among the hardest figures to find from their respective lines.  Flip over to other toylines like DC or Marvel. There are no females I'm aware of in the current DC 4" line.  The hardest figure to find from Marvel 4" Infinites?  The Wasp.  I see lots of Spiderman and Captain America Legends figures collecting dust, but there's virtually no sign of Spiderwoman, Black Cat, or Black Widow.  Even in the Guardians line, Gamora is among the hardest to find. 

Its just frustrating that after decades of selling figures, Hasbro and their ilk can't come to terms with anyone buying their product outside of 7-12 year old boys.

Darby:
To Jesse's point, I'd be very curious to on the exact nature of Hasbro's original comment given the storm brewing over this now. Was the original response paraphrased? Out of context? Did Hasbro really blow off the question and are now back peddling? Are the people making hay over this conscious of what has and hasn't happened in the brand relative to female figures in even the last 2 years? Or what's about to happen? Numerous Leia's are coming here in just the next few months. I've always been a huge proponent of female characters and their representations in toys, but this whole argument needs some perspective.

Jesse James:
Hasbro has outright said in the past female characters don't sell as well as male characters, for what that's worth.  Sort of surprised that statement's not come up in all this debate actually.

I know Torryn Farr was one of the most short-packed TBS figures, but is one of the worse sellers...  That could be a sign though that collectors themselves aren't as into the hobby too.  Even a reseller nearby with a store in the mall has her on sale, haha.

Personally I can only own 2 Rebels figures (Stormtrooper aside) total.  I have only ever seen Sabine and Zeb, and I can get Zeb right now I know.  Sabine I'm not sure what Target's stock is like.

I've not seen any other figure from the series, personally.

If Hasbro's #'s say female characters don't sell as well, should they still make more of them anyway?  Is there justification there for them to not make as many or are they just not doing something right with the female figures on their end and they would sell well if not for their own mistakes?  I dunno.

Qui-Gon Jim:
Additionally, even 6" Greedo calls 6" Leia a peg warmer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version