Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels - 5 POA Animated Style Figs  (Read 27526 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Star Wars Rebels - 5 POA Animated Style Figs
« on: October 12, 2013, 07:12 PM »
What's your take?  Where do you stand?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Rebels - 5 POA Animated Style Figs
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 07:16 PM »
I'm not on the take.

I stand on the ground or preferably a solid surface.

Wait and see...

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 10:13 PM »
I think the 5 POA sucks, but producing them in a style consistent with how they look on the show is the right way to go IMO. If they mesh well with the Clone Wars aesthetic, so much the better.

I think it remains to be seen what the actual show will be like. Despite ariring on Cartoon Network, Clone Wars had a lot of adult content seemingly aimed at a more mature audience. The last few seasons did not feel much like a kid show. (In a good way, but I could see them lightening things up this time around with less darker overtones)

I expect to like the show as I have enjoyed all the previous Star Wars animated fare. And I do miss collecting Star Wars stuff since the Clone Wars line ended. So I'm probably all in on these guys.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Looks like I spoke too soon. From Imperial Shipyards' Q&A:

"The "Rebels" toyline will be somewhat stylized in the same design as the animation but will be closer to a "realistic" style than "Clone Wars" style."

So, instead of picking a particular style they just found a way to piss everyone off. WTF does "somewhat stylized" even mean? They'll kind of look like the characters from the show, but not really? No thanks.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 11:26 AM »
I think they mean the detail will be soft enough to read as animated but detailed enough to appeal to collectors. 5 POA is not an issue for me, it's all about whether the show/characters are interesting or not.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 08:11 PM »
That's interesting since JTA was reporting animated style...  Now another sites saying something VERY different?  It's possible perhaps the animation itself is far less stylized and a little more realistic?  TE concepts for that imperial officer didn't look nearly as animated as TCW.  Nor did that inquisitor.

My stance is, depending on their gear and usability, I'm probably in for at least customizing.  $6 makes that a lot easier to stomach.  I may not buy all but some, sure.

I think separation of line looks is a mistake.  I think, in a time when you're trying to include everyone to make the most, that making a line of toys animated looking and going against almost the entire modern line is asking people to pick and choose...  It's tough to want to buy into something that doesn't blend with 90% of what I have.  That said I picked and chooses TCW and will do the same here.

I'm curious to see what the final character animation looks like.  This hybrid style may make aliens and droids fit in far better than they did in TCW line.  Humans may not mesh as well still. :/
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 11:30 PM »
I kinda don't like that they are going with the "black brow line blending into helmet lenses" look for the stormtroopers. It's not technically wrong, but just prefer the white gap, more like a skull, less like sunglasses.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 02:31 PM »
What is between the CW animated style vs. the more realistic main line style?  Honestly, I thought some of the aliens from the CW series fit right in with main line stuff, so not sure what a hybrid of these two would look like.  I'd prefer they mesh with the rest of the line personally.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 02:40 PM »
What is between the CW animated style vs. the more realistic main line style?  Honestly, I thought some of the aliens from the CW series fit right in with main line stuff, so not sure what a hybrid of these two would look like. 

2008 Clone Wars was a hybrid look.  Some of the later CW wave figures went more "animated" (thinking Anakin/Obi-Wan for sure) and some ended up more "realistic" like some aliens and Cad Bane.  A while back there was a great developement pic that came out.  It really highlighted how some at LFL wanted pure animated, most of Hasbro wanted realistic, and they settled inbetween.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:50 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 02:46 PM »
Yeah that was Anakin and the realistic Ani wound up being their realistic figure test sculpt iirc.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 02:50 PM »
Here was the pic from 2008.  They started off in 2008 with the Hybrid Anakin, but later Clone Wars was closer to 'Animated' Anakin, while TVC Anakin was like the 'Saga' one shown here.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:54 PM by Jeff »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 02:56 PM »
Here's another one from 2008 that basically spells out how the plan was to adjust the figures to create an animated/realistic hybrid design.

http://www.rebelscum.com/2008/TCWobiwandesign.jpg

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 06:12 PM »
5 POA seems to be the way the industry is moving in an effort to bring down costs.  That, or go to the 6" scale which seems to have a greater cross-appeal with collectors who hadn't necessarily been into Star Wars.

The figure designs are going to have a tremendous impact on whether or not the 5 POA is a big deal or not.  I know that in the case of the new Saga Legends and Mission Series figures, I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality of the sculpts on those new figures.  The 5 POA is disappointing, but the high quality of the sculpting of those figures has made the limited articulation a little easier to accept.

I get the feeling we'll see a sneak peek of the first wave(s) of the Rebels line at Toy Fair.  Those figures will probably be out right before SDCC, and we'll probably see more of the line at SDCC.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 06:31 PM »
Thought this looked like the most "basic" thread for this, just for the general "Rebels" line, but how many of you are jumping in with this line?  Initially, I was taking a wait and see approach - and still am to some extent - just because of the Clone Wars.  I really liked that line, and bought the majority of the basic figures, but now they've ended up in a storage bin just because of lack of display space.  It isn't like I have anything against the toys or the show, I love both, but they still take a bit of a back seat to the movie stuff for me so they've been stashed away for now.

That being said, the more I see about Rebels, the more excited I get.  Not only that, but our daughter is really into the fact that there are major female characters with Hera and Sabine, so I have a feeling that might fuel more casual purchases as well.  Plus the fact the 5 POA stuff is cheaper.  I'm starting to lean more towards jumping into these, or maybe even preordering some.  Anyone else thinking of getting into this line, or just sticking with the show (or maybe neither)?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 11:17 AM »
Yeah, I'm all in for sure...the Clone Wars line was the pinnacle of my SW collecting enthusiasm, so the Rebels stuff will help to fill that void. I'd prefer not to have 5POA figures but at the end of the day they're sitting on a shelf anyway so not the end of the world to me.

I'm not really a fan of the cartoony Stormtroopers but the other characters all look great. And the ships look fantastic!

Will be curious to see how long this line (and show for that matter) last.