Author Topic: Retail Prices/Sales/Discounts  (Read 58705 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Re: Black Series Rumors
« Reply #30 on: January 9, 2015, 01:56 PM »
Pushing $15?  You'd better get a free coffee with the credit check.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #31 on: January 9, 2015, 02:58 PM »
From Northern Cali  :o

Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 9, 2015, 03:53 PM »
I can verify the $12.99 price is in the NY/NJ metropolitan area. I saw it at a local Target store, too.  Even more galling is that the only TBS 3.75" figure in stock was a lone R5-G19, and that figure is based on a 6 or 7 year old mold from the B-A-F R5 droids.

One positive?  For now, at least, TRU is keeping their TBS 3.75" basic figures priced at $9.99 each.  I saw prices on those today, too.  And notably at the TRU store that's about 5 minutes from Toys R Us corporate HQ.  That store gets special attention from corporate due to it's proximity to all of the executive offices.  But if the rumors are true that the wholesale price has gone up by $2 per figure we're probably bound to see a price increase across the board.  Most likely that's going to happen after everyone gets done with their post-holiday season clearances and inventory.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2015, 04:09 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: January 9, 2015, 05:21 PM »
If that does happen it'd better sync with a distinct quality increase.  Figures like Yoda would really be unacceptable...  Hell, that whole wave wouldn't be kosher at that gouge IMO.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 9, 2015, 06:58 PM »
Considering the fact that I haven't been able to find an entire wave of figures in an actual brick-and-mortar retail store since the Vintage TPM wave in January 2012 (not even kidding), I certainly don't see the distribution issue improving enough for me to even worry about what Target is charging since i haven't been able to find anything there anyway.

That being said, the price increase will likely spread, since Star Wars figures are in such short supply there's no need for TRU or Walmart to actually decrease their prices to compete with Target. After all, if Walmart can't sell those Ric Olies and Mawhonics at 10 bucks, they're not going to sell them at 12-15, so it won't hurt to mark them up. TRU will have their mountains of Biggs and Anakins that they'll mark up, and the vast majority of the new figures planned, if they get released at all, will ostensibly become online exclusives just like the vast majority of the last three years' figures.

Am I being overly dramatic/cynical/pessimistic? Perhaps. Maybe. Sure. All I know is that Hasbro has managed to suck most of the excitement and joy out of (their segment of) collecting these last few years with these types of moves from which they never seem to learn. For me to expect anything less than a complete cluster**** from them at this point would be akin to expecting my ******* to sing showtunes.

I'll be taking that 12.99-15.29 they want for a Chewbacca that would likely be cross-eyed and possibly have two left feet and spend it on more Lego Stormtroopers, thanks.

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #35 on: January 9, 2015, 07:44 PM »
$14.29 is an appropriate price for the 6" line.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: January 9, 2015, 09:36 PM »
I don't know what anyone is bitching about...figures are still $9.99 at ShopKo

https://twitter.com/jedidefender/status/553637481405751296

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 9, 2015, 10:04 PM »
Does this mean the Saga Legends figures are going up to $8 too? F that noise.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #38 on: January 9, 2015, 11:13 PM »
$12.99 confirmed in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago. Testing or not, Target is going to wind up pricing many people of buying from their stores.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2015, 11:13 AM »
Wow! I'm simply stunned. Big jump. Still $9.99 on HTS and TRU.com though.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2015, 05:13 PM »
Kmart is still $9.99...  So is Wally World when they have a figure available.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2015, 05:35 PM »
From Northern Cali  :o

So has that 087 06 1351 DPCI number carried over from The Vintage Collection all the way through to The Black Series?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2015, 12:53 AM »
So has that 087 06 1351 DPCI number carried over from The Vintage Collection all the way through to The Black Series?

Yes
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 12:54 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2015, 09:39 AM »
I think this is the case.  When I lived in Minneapolis (Target's HQ), Target were in abundance and in competition with each other, so sometimes one store would have higher prices than another. 

That's actually not true.  There are three national price tiers that Target uses.  There is a base national price, a lower price for proximity to Walmart stores (I don't know how close they have to be), and a set of testing stores where they mark items at a higher price then compare sales rates to the national base price stores.  So you might see a base price of $10.99, a WM competitive price of $9.99, and a price test store with a price of $11.99 for stores all in one market.  That said, I don't think individual stores ever manually set their own pricing just to compete with the Target down the street, though it is obviously possible to override pricing for an individual store as we saw with the legendary Knollwood sale.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2015, 09:47 AM »
I don't know what anyone is bitching about...figures are still $9.99 at ShopKo

https://twitter.com/jedidefender/status/553637481405751296

LOL!  Sadly, not everyone has a Shopko Ghetto in their market.  The increase at retail blows, but this happens almost every year guys.  We see a big increase in the Spring, then prices soften a bit as we get into the Summer.  If the figures are $10, they raise them to $12 and people get angry and upset for a while.  There are no figures to buy though, so it doesn't really impact anyone.  Then by end of Spring, prices come down to $11 and everyone starts thinking that's a pretty good deal vs. $12, so they effectively raise the price with most people feeling good about it. 

I still buy some figures at retail, but like most I've switched over to online prices.  You can get good deals on full cases through a lot of sites or just wait for the eventual TRU BOGOs or price drops on HTS or Amazon.  I hit Amazon this morning and scooped up a few Yodas for $4 and Toryns for $2.67.  If you can get a few figures at those prices, then pay $12-14 on others, you're still netting out at less than $10 per figure.  Honestly, I can't remember the last time I saw a new basic figure I wanted to buy at retail anyway.  I'm down to mainly just buying 6" there.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today