Collectibles > The Clone Wars '08-'13

Cancelled The Clone Wars Toys :(

<< < (3/4) > >>

McMetal:
Thanks Jeff, great catch on those. I used to track Item #'s plus SKU/Assortment #'s but it got to be too confusing after awhile. Those had long since dropped off my radar. Good to know we didn't miss ALL this stuff at least.

Some other tidbits I pulled out from around the web:

SW CW SHADOW MAGNA GUARD A0840
  SW CW SHOCK TROOPER A2427
  SW CW SUPER TACTICAL DROID KRAKEN A1804
  SW CW 4 PACK TANGO COMPANY 33115
  SW CW SPECIAL OPS 31680

We did get a Special Ops Clone Trooper I believe, but I'm blanking on Tango for some reason. Was that the Wolfpack set maybe?

Shadow Magna Guard would have been super sweet. Shock Trooper is a complete no-brainer, I've actually been working on a custom one that doesn't look half bad. But Super Tactical Droid?!?! OMG, I would have blown a gasket over that awesomeness.

McMetal:
I have a theory I am increasingly convinced of that I wanted to post here.

With the recent announcement of the Jedi Temple Guard Legends figure, we have confirmation that Hasbo is actually going to release some of those cancelled Clone Wars figures, albeit slightly tweaked from the original sculpt. (A little less animated and less articulation)

You can kind of see the net result with the Darth Maul figure from the Mission Series. That doesn't really look animated but it somehow falls short of a full realistic interpretation too IMO.

Both Darth Maul (A1807) and the Jedi Temple Guard (A1803) were new items on the list of cancelled stuff that clearly seem to have made their way into the Legends line.

My theory is that the already released Legends Shock Trooper is another example of one of these cancelled Clone Wars figures finding its way out. That figure was on the same list (A2427) assumably based on the final season arc with Ahsoka. It's not sourced as such on the package but I think the origins of that figure are from TCW. The sculpt is noticeably leaner and more stylized than previous versions. Not as thin as a true animated figure but a fair blend, ala Mission Series Maul.

The Shock Trooper fits in pretty nicely with Fox and company. I really liked this sculpt from the get-go and now I know why.

Jesse James:
Personally, I don't agree...  To say "slightly less articulation" is a tweak is a stretch...  I would say these weren't "cancelled" at all really, but just things planned to be sent out through the Legends line because you really can't just alter something with say 10 or so points of articulation to 5...  It's basically all new.

As for the aesthetic, I think they're purely realistic...  I see nothing animated about them at all except they're based obviously on characters who were only in an animated series so they resemble that incarnation of that character, but that's just my opinion.  I look at them as no different than say the realistic Ahsoka we got that's obviously only based on an animated character and how the scupltor/designer felt she'd look "realistic". 

I think Ventress figures always struggled with that too (most were realistically done, but you could always still see the art they're based on in them).  Even realistic Ani/Obi from TVC have something that will always make you think of the cartoon I suppose, but that's just my opinion on their looks I guess.

I don't think those Legends figures are "tweaks" though.  Tweaking is say Dooku's speederbike to the CW Geonosian speederbike, for instance...  However I'd still say that's probably a whole new mold was made, just based on what existed.

In general, when something like that happens, or when a figure's mold is actually physically changed, you'll see evidence of it...  Like Shaak Ti's ROTS figure having the impaling feature removed.  You can see remnants of it.  Those Legends figures look like ground-up work to me though...  perhaps because the idea to do a character of them from TCW was on the table all along though and they figured maybe they'll just move them to Legends and the new style/format then?

I'm likely to pick some of those up, but I'll always be looking at how to articulate them now.  ::)

Greg:
I don't think the 5POA Clone Wars characters are tweaked sculpts, only because all of the other figures in the Saga Legends/Mission Series line have been entirely new. Even Boba Fett and Vader, which had less articulated figures released in 2012, didn't share any sculpting with those earlier releases. I suppose this is an instance where creating an entirely new sculpt is cheaper than retooling/tweaking an old sculpt.

Which makes zero sense of course, because things like this also happened last year:

Jesse James:
With things like the Legends compared to TCW figures (the 2008 line), I think there's just no way to "tweak" that.  When you take figures apart as much as I have, you just see they're designed in ways you can't just make a little change here and there to a mold.

Not to mention Legends has a style all its own that is different from TCW or Black Series all together. 

I'm sure these figures are simply all new molds...  Given that list's nature, it's possible those figures were never planned for TCW as it was, and were always something Hasbro intended for the new "Legends" style and lower articulation count with realistic sculpts.  I know they said MORE TCW were going to come but in realistic style, so that fits...  Anything on that list with an A, if I remember that right, was "new" stuff, not necessarily "cancelled" and moved around and whatnot.

On the aesthetic thing, I mean I think that's really how the individual sees them...  To me, that Maul looks realistic without an ounce of animated to it aside from the only place I saw THAT bio-Maul ever was in a cartoon so I remember it more from that.  Its paintjob is from parts unknown though. :P

I was kind of hopeful some of the upcoming figures from the Disney event are actually CW figures or even some of them maybe from Rebels rather than the films.  I could see that with quite a few listed like the TIE Pilot or whatnot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version