Author Topic: Cancelled The Clone Wars Toys :(  (Read 11130 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Cancelled The Clone Wars Toys :(
« on: October 30, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Sorta knew this was coming, but...

Seemingly Cancelled Clone Wars Items, courtesy of Greg's master list.

Some of that I wasn't so sure I could recall what was done, and what wasn't, but it seems there's definitely some canned items in there.

Not a CW item, but the list also seems to confirm Mother Talzin from the Target pack wasn't meant to be an animated figure at all, as people were guessing at the time she was revealed.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Cancelled The Clone Wars Toys :(
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 11:08 PM »
Heartbreak city on a lot of that. Wow.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:38 PM »
 SW CW BASIC FIG KASHYYYK WARRIOR 32843 
  SW CW R5 P8 A0831 
  SW CW RAKO HARDEEN A0833 

SW CW3 AHSOKA A0839 
  SW CW4 CAPTAIN REX A1597 
  SW CW4 CAPTAIN REX A5085 
  SW CW4 PONG KRELL A1805 
  SW CW5 DARTH MAUL A1807 
  SW CW5 JEDI TEMPLE GUARD A1803 
  SW CW5 YODA A1806 

:'(

All i'll say is: I just pray some of these got to the test shot phase and I will be able to pick up the prototypes one day from an overseas seller on eBay.

#$%^& Jedi Temple Guard! AARRGHH!!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 11:41 PM »
Of those figures; Rako, JTG, R5 and Pong Krell are heartbreakers. (Kashyyyk Warrior is Chewbacca BTW)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 09:24 AM »
Yep, we got Chewie at least. Some interesting stuff in here otherwise though:

SW CW BSC FIG RED LEADER (I don't think we ever got a whiff of this guy, guessing they are referring to the Red Deco Y-Wing Bomber Pilots?)
CW BATTLE PK AMBUSH IN THE OUTER RIM (no idea what would have come with this one, or even what episodes these refer back to)
CW BATTLE PKS YWING PILOTS (We got the yellow pilot already, and the red one is likely the single carded guy above, so not sure who else they would pack in here, maybe some Phase II pilots?)
SW CW BOBA AND SPEEDER (Ugh, I'm still pissed we never got this, had to be the one shown at Toyfair with Boba in poncho...this would have been an easy repaint)
SW CW BSC FIG CAD BANE IN DISGUISE (This must be the figure that eventually got released in the battlepack, he wasn't really "in disguise" per se for those episodes like The Box, just different outfit)
SW CW BSC FIG BLUE ROYAL GUARD (I am guessing they mean the Senate Guard, who ended up getting released in the target exclusive 2-pack)
CW ZIRO THE HUTT (Sucks, just really sucks we never got this guy, another easy repaint, minor retooling)
CW DELT2 STRFGHTR W/HYPRSPCE RNG TBD (Meh, never liked that idea and I don't recall it being used much in the show)
CW BTTLE PKS ASSAULT ON GRIEVOUS LAIR (This would have been exciting back when they were doing 4 figure BP's, we already got Kit Fisto, Nahdar Vebb, and Grievous, but the 4th figure could have been EV-A4-D!!!)

SW FIG & VEH MINI GUNMAN SUB W KIT FISTO (well, we got an underwater Kit Fisto, and we got the Assault Submarine, i am guessing that's what this deluxe set would have been? I dont recall any other submersible craft from that arc that would have fit here)

I wonder if any of those figures marked with "A" might still have a chance of getting out either in a more realistic styling or as part of some CW themed holiday gift set or somesuch thing. I'm convinced they at least got to a working sculpt of Krell, since it was mentioned so prominently in the Q&A.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 09:49 AM »
It would have been great if the Y Wing Pilots set included the remaining pilots from the squad that included Matchstick; Broadside and the others. There were always my favorite pilot designs. No idea on Red Leader. Assault on Grievous Lair - a missed opportunity I think for Commander Fil and/or one of his grunts. I also always loved these and it's a shame we never got them.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:19 AM »
A lot of that stuff did get released though...  just with a slightly different name, like:

SW CW BASIC FIGURE RED LEADER 28529
= TCW 2010 Clone Commander Colt (Item#28529)

He went from 'RED LEADER' to 'Red Leader ARC Trooper' to 'Clone Commander Colt'.  And we even talked about this switch in the forums... ;)

Thanks, I guess they are calling him Red Leader ARC Trooper now?

And a few more, just for examples:

SW CW BATTLE PK AMBUSH IN THE OUTER RIM 94237
= TCW 2009 Target Ambush at Abregado Battle Pack (Item#94237)

SW CW BSC FIG BLUE ROYAL GUARD 91273
= 2009 Clone Wars Captain Argyus (Item#91273)

I think in the rush to get scoops out, sites may not have thouroughly vetted out some stuff that we did indeed get, just with a slightly different name.   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 10:58 AM »
Good call on the Captain Argyus and Blue Guard numbering, Jeff. Argyus didn't cross my mind when I read the name. I tried to remember as much alternate naming as possible from rumor lists and such, which is why I didn't include Red Leader/Cmdr Colt or the Outer Rim/Abreggado set.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 11:00 AM »
  SW CW R5 P8 A0831 
  SW CW RAKO HARDEEN A0833 
  SW CW4 PONG KRELL A1805 
  SW CW5 JEDI TEMPLE GUARD A1803 

This is painful. Very, very painful. Hopefully Hasbro reconsiders the total cancellation of Clone Wars figures one day.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 02:20 PM »
Yeah some of the names, I figured were things we did get, but under different titles...  Red Leader I was thinking was a pilot though, but on the Argyus thing, I was thinking that might've been the blue Senate Guard...  There was a LOT of that mixed into that information.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 02:31 PM »
Thanks Jeff, great catch on those. I used to track Item #'s plus SKU/Assortment #'s but it got to be too confusing after awhile. Those had long since dropped off my radar. Good to know we didn't miss ALL this stuff at least.

Some other tidbits I pulled out from around the web:

SW CW SHADOW MAGNA GUARD A0840
  SW CW SHOCK TROOPER A2427
  SW CW SUPER TACTICAL DROID KRAKEN A1804
  SW CW 4 PACK TANGO COMPANY 33115
  SW CW SPECIAL OPS 31680

We did get a Special Ops Clone Trooper I believe, but I'm blanking on Tango for some reason. Was that the Wolfpack set maybe?

Shadow Magna Guard would have been super sweet. Shock Trooper is a complete no-brainer, I've actually been working on a custom one that doesn't look half bad. But Super Tactical Droid?!?! OMG, I would have blown a gasket over that awesomeness.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 03:31 PM »
I have a theory I am increasingly convinced of that I wanted to post here.

With the recent announcement of the Jedi Temple Guard Legends figure, we have confirmation that Hasbo is actually going to release some of those cancelled Clone Wars figures, albeit slightly tweaked from the original sculpt. (A little less animated and less articulation)

You can kind of see the net result with the Darth Maul figure from the Mission Series. That doesn't really look animated but it somehow falls short of a full realistic interpretation too IMO.

Both Darth Maul (A1807) and the Jedi Temple Guard (A1803) were new items on the list of cancelled stuff that clearly seem to have made their way into the Legends line.

My theory is that the already released Legends Shock Trooper is another example of one of these cancelled Clone Wars figures finding its way out. That figure was on the same list (A2427) assumably based on the final season arc with Ahsoka. It's not sourced as such on the package but I think the origins of that figure are from TCW. The sculpt is noticeably leaner and more stylized than previous versions. Not as thin as a true animated figure but a fair blend, ala Mission Series Maul.

The Shock Trooper fits in pretty nicely with Fox and company. I really liked this sculpt from the get-go and now I know why.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Personally, I don't agree...  To say "slightly less articulation" is a tweak is a stretch...  I would say these weren't "cancelled" at all really, but just things planned to be sent out through the Legends line because you really can't just alter something with say 10 or so points of articulation to 5...  It's basically all new.

As for the aesthetic, I think they're purely realistic...  I see nothing animated about them at all except they're based obviously on characters who were only in an animated series so they resemble that incarnation of that character, but that's just my opinion.  I look at them as no different than say the realistic Ahsoka we got that's obviously only based on an animated character and how the scupltor/designer felt she'd look "realistic". 

I think Ventress figures always struggled with that too (most were realistically done, but you could always still see the art they're based on in them).  Even realistic Ani/Obi from TVC have something that will always make you think of the cartoon I suppose, but that's just my opinion on their looks I guess.

I don't think those Legends figures are "tweaks" though.  Tweaking is say Dooku's speederbike to the CW Geonosian speederbike, for instance...  However I'd still say that's probably a whole new mold was made, just based on what existed.

In general, when something like that happens, or when a figure's mold is actually physically changed, you'll see evidence of it...  Like Shaak Ti's ROTS figure having the impaling feature removed.  You can see remnants of it.  Those Legends figures look like ground-up work to me though...  perhaps because the idea to do a character of them from TCW was on the table all along though and they figured maybe they'll just move them to Legends and the new style/format then?

I'm likely to pick some of those up, but I'll always be looking at how to articulate them now.  ::)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 08:11 PM »
I don't think the 5POA Clone Wars characters are tweaked sculpts, only because all of the other figures in the Saga Legends/Mission Series line have been entirely new. Even Boba Fett and Vader, which had less articulated figures released in 2012, didn't share any sculpting with those earlier releases. I suppose this is an instance where creating an entirely new sculpt is cheaper than retooling/tweaking an old sculpt.

Which makes zero sense of course, because things like this also happened last year:

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 09:15 PM »
With things like the Legends compared to TCW figures (the 2008 line), I think there's just no way to "tweak" that.  When you take figures apart as much as I have, you just see they're designed in ways you can't just make a little change here and there to a mold.

Not to mention Legends has a style all its own that is different from TCW or Black Series all together. 

I'm sure these figures are simply all new molds...  Given that list's nature, it's possible those figures were never planned for TCW as it was, and were always something Hasbro intended for the new "Legends" style and lower articulation count with realistic sculpts.  I know they said MORE TCW were going to come but in realistic style, so that fits...  Anything on that list with an A, if I remember that right, was "new" stuff, not necessarily "cancelled" and moved around and whatnot.

On the aesthetic thing, I mean I think that's really how the individual sees them...  To me, that Maul looks realistic without an ounce of animated to it aside from the only place I saw THAT bio-Maul ever was in a cartoon so I remember it more from that.  Its paintjob is from parts unknown though. :P

I was kind of hopeful some of the upcoming figures from the Disney event are actually CW figures or even some of them maybe from Rebels rather than the films.  I could see that with quite a few listed like the TIE Pilot or whatnot.