Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels Saga Legends Figures  (Read 35264 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Star Wars Rebels Saga Legends Figures
« on: December 30, 2013, 02:16 PM »
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:17 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Star Wars Rebels Saga Legends Figures
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 02:29 PM »
5 POA, looks nice though...I'm really interested in what this show may be.  I really enjoyed CW and look forward to a weekly fix of SW again.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 04:07 PM »
I'm glad it looks more animated than realistic, but yeah, 5 POA pretty much blows.

I'll buy it though, like the craven cur I am.  :D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 07:57 PM »
I'm interested in this show, a LOT, mostly because of the time period.  I was really disappointed the direction The Clone Wars took...  They didn't explore or expand on how Ani/Obi were truly friends or how they got there.  It's still basically that one awkward moment in the turbo-lift going up to Padme's apartment and that one awkward moment when Obi drops Ani off to talk to politicians...  Not much else.  The Clone Wars gave us 3 years of opportunity to work with to expand on how close they were though, and ultimately didn't.

I was disappointed they also didn't capitalize on more established EU...  They threw people the Y-Wing bone, and at the end some Z-95's that didn't really jive with the EU McQuarrie-esque Z-95.  They never added AT-PT's (probably because it's a more practical design than the AT-RT ever was) or the AT-XT...  they didn't add in AT-AP's...  For that matter, they kind of abandoned the war itself for the most part when it was the most dynamic setting they could've worked with.  And they should've worked with too, considering it was the show's namesake.

So I look at Rebels as an even more interesting era, and one that could really be awesome put on the screen, but I worry they're going to pick up where Clone Wars left off as far as story goes, and not really delve into the era so much as focus on a scant few characters, their relationships, and some goofy political angles.

Anyway, neither here nor there, I just hope for the best.

The Inquisitor looks about what I expected...

Interesting they call this "Rebels Saga Legends"...  Does that mean there might be Rebels Black Series complementary figures?  I doubt it, right now anyway, but the specific wording of that is interesting.  I suppose it leaves the door open for other Saga Legends stuff anyway. 

Given ship quality at this point in the line, I'm dreading seeing horridly under-scaled walkers and fighters and whatnot.  This looks like a series that could be a wealth of great new ship designs, and Hasbro's ******** the bed with its ship product at the moment, so that's a perfect storm of potentially disappointing "I wish that was better" moments coming.  :-\

I want to love Rebels as a show, but maybe even more, I want to love the products.  As it stands, they're custom fodder to me as figures.  No better or worse than the last animated line of figures where I'll want some for parts and that's it.  The ships have me far more concerned.  Some of the new designs look incredibly cool (The Stormie transport for instance) but how will that translate to plastic in Hasbro's current state of craptacular vehicle design?

Honestly the new ships out there are as bad as some of the cheaper knock-off toy lines in existance like Power Team Elite, with its one-sided detail (the other side hollowed out to save money...  sad), and I just dread seeing a ship I want to love done in a horribly disproportionate style with corners cut galore.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:10 AM »
Interesting design - I'll definitely be getting this line, but I hope that the fact that they denote it as the "Saga Legends" line that there might be a handful of KEY characters from Rebels mixed into the Vintage/Black/Collector Series line.

I just wish that lightsaber wielding characters had elbow articulation - straight arms do NOT lend themselves to dynamically posing them.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 12:29 AM »
I'd be ecstatic with that honestly, and just custom up the secondary guys.  If they're doing any SA guys though, realistic style please.  If they hold true to their motto on things, that should be how it is.

I don't see anything realistic about this figure.  It's as animated looking as they've ever been since TCW line began.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 12:48 AM »
I'd be ecstatic with that honestly, and just custom up the secondary guys.  If they're doing any SA guys though, realistic style please.  If they hold true to their motto on things, that should be how it is.

Agreed - a TBS version of this character - either 3.75" or 6" should be in the realistic style.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 10:49 AM »
The sculpt looks cool, all things considered.  I think 5POA is with us for the time being, so at least Hasbro is investing in some decent sculpts.  This is definitely a nice advance look at what we'll see at Toy Fair in a few weeks.  Although I don't know that we're going to see a super-extensive line for REBELS.  I think Hasbro may end offering fewer figures over the course of the year like we've seen with some other properties.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 10:57 AM »
Not a bad looking figure, really, even with the lack of articulation.  I guess it was mentioned earlier that this line would be that way though.  I still haven't decided if I will pick up this line or not, although I'll probably get some of them.  I'm pretty excited for the show, so I imagine that will carry over to the toys somewhat.  I think we will see a good portion of Rebels stuff at TF.

I do sort of wonder what this might mean for future movie lines starting next year, if we will see 5 poa for that media as well or not.  Overall though the figure looks pretty good.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 12:02 PM »
I am going to try to hold off on this line as long as I can.  Just not feeling it.  I like some of the low articulation stuff, but more non-realistic style with straight arms...reminds me a little of the original Clone Wars line.  Cool sculpt, but where to put them amongst all the existing SW stuff?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 05:46 PM »
I'll wait and see on the cartoon, but I'm fine with the 5 POA/animated look. It's a cartoon and the toys should reflect the media. I'm with Jesse in that my biggest wait and see is the vehicles, where all the action in this line is likely to be. If they end up along the lines of what we saw this year, I don't think anyone will go for them, kids or collectors.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 08:34 PM »

Agreed - a TBS version of this character - either 3.75" or 6" should be in the realistic style.

I'm sure a few folks would have mixed feelings about giving up a coveted slot in the BS line for a "flavor of the month" type character and I totally get that. It's probably too soon to start expecting cross-overs. Personally, I am firmly in the camp of wanting figures that actually look like the characters, so it's animated uber alles for me. I can put up with the limited articulation as a trade-off. If that means leaving these in the 5POA kiddie line, so be it.

I'd love to see vehicles too but totally agree there would be a lot of justifiable concern about how Hasbro would handle those. The recent track record is not good at all.

Deluxe sets could offer some real winners in this line though, 2 figures + a small vehicle was a good formula for $20.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: January 1, 2014, 06:14 PM »
I'm sure a few folks would have mixed feelings about giving up a coveted slot in the BS line for a "flavor of the month" type character and I totally get that.

Me, me!  Agree 100%.

If Rebels will be in the $6, 5POA line, then I have no desire for them in the $10 collector line too at this point. 

Please Hasbro just use what little precious time we have left with the $10 collector line to fill in the missing OT resculpt and new figure gaps we all desperately want - Ree-Yees, Yakface, Cliegg, ROTS Office Palps, Cantina Guys, Jabba Palace dudes, Rebel troops, Imp troops, ANH Leia, Beru, Lando, ETC.

Once 2015 rolls around, it will be ALL SEQUELS all the time.  Please don't waste what little precious "new figure sculpt" Black Series slots we may have left on Rebels characters.  I would take ANY figure on the JD Wishlists Results over a Rebels guy at this point, especially because I have no idea if the cartoon is any good or if it will completely suck.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: January 2, 2014, 01:45 AM »
No argument from me there.  In 2035 when they quit making new movies I'd love some realistic Rebels guys sprinkled in.  Someone can leave them at my grave or whatever.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 09:47 AM »
Meet Chopper (C1-10P)

Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird