Author Topic: Is 2014 the "Last Hurrah"?  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Is 2014 the "Last Hurrah"?
« on: January 8, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Not for Star Wars figures, as I'm sure those will continue on in some capacity for many years to come with all the Disney produced SW movies on the way.  But, after reading Jeff's post in another thread here mentioning how now that we have new SW movies planned every year between the new trilogy and "one off" movies, much to all of the focus of the toys will likely be on the new movies.  Does that mean that 2014 might be the last chance to get figures from the OT or PT, or at the very least, anything more obscure?

I know in the past we've seen in movie years the vast majority of the figure line is dedicated to the new movie, sometimes with a few past figures sprinkled in.  Plus, the line has changed some in that now we have a "collector" 6" line which may continue to sneak out at least OT characters - but what about the 3 3/4" line?  Since Episode VII is not scheduled for release until Christmas time, we actually have this year and probably the first half of 2015 before the movie onslaught begins.  I do wonder if this is our last chance - at least for the foreseeable future - to get a lot of those collector-focused figures, and maybe to get anything from the other trilogies at all.

A lot of this depends on if Disney can keep to their schedule of a movie per year, but even if they only managed a movie every other year it would still keep things pretty new-movie (or animated series) focused.  I'm still wondering how much we'll see this year.  That great Dagobah Luke wave was previewed at NYCC, but we still haven't seen preorders go up online that I know of, so it may be a little off yet.  Plus, I'm sure we'll start to see more and more Hasbro resources pointed towards the new movie the closer it gets.  Anyways, not saying that stuff for the new movie(s) won't be cool, but just wondering if the next year to year and a half might be the last blast for the OT stuff (and PT/CW as well).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Is 2014 the "Last Hurrah"?
« Reply #1 on: January 8, 2014, 09:29 PM »
It's tough to argue that it will be for a while...

Those new movies are going to come fast and furious.  I was told last year that the edict was in place already that basically the line's focus was to be placed firmly on the new films.  That wasn't just for Hasbro but all the companies were to start refocusing their priorities as it's going to be a LOT of new movies in a far shorter period than before, and that's going to impact what we get obviously.

The OT and PT both will go back burner for a time.  I think Disney's even recognizing the PT should go a little further back.

After this trilogy is squirted out, that's when the real questions will start.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 8, 2014, 11:24 PM »
Dang it, if I have to wait 20+ years for a General Krell, so be it!  :P
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #3 on: January 8, 2014, 11:45 PM »
Toy fair will tell but I think there will be very little room for a lot of focus outside the new movies, especially with one every year. There will always be some slots for the past, but the next decade will be the new films. If there's something were waiting for we should ask ourselves what it is. This wave with toyrn Farr seems like a wish list clearer for me. Maybe that's 2014.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2014, 10:17 AM »
It sure seems like 2014 and Spring 2015 will be the last, best chance for obscure OT figures and desired resculpts from the OT and to a lesser extent PT.

It's not impossible for them to leave some slots or box sets here or there for the old OT/PT stuff, but I think the chances of a sweet resculpt for Han in Carbonite or ANH White Dress Leia decreases tremendously if they have a bunch of new Han and Leia they are selling.  :(

Also, even if they do leave slots for the "old" stuff, at some point it's a law of numbers thing.  By the time we get to Episode 8 (2017), you could have something like this

60 new figures planned:
45 from Episode 8
5 from Episode 7 (2015)
5 from standalone movie (2016)
5 from everything else - ANH, ESB, ROTJ, TPM, AOTC, ROTS, EU, TCW, Rebels, etc

With each new cartoon series or movie that "everything else" piles grows a little bit larger...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: January 9, 2014, 04:50 PM »
It's not impossible for them to leave some slots or box sets here or there for the old OT/PT stuff, but I think the chances of a sweet resculpt for Han in Carbonite or ANH White Dress Leia decreases tremendously if they have a bunch of new Han and Leia they are selling.  :(

I think you will still see OT figures, but it might be more online (EE exclusives come to mind).  There will definitely be a drop in OT in favor of the new movies though.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: January 9, 2014, 05:10 PM »
If it is, I think I am OK with it, or that is what I keep telling myself.  I've switched out enough figures over the last 5-6 years that even now my collection shelves are plum full with two tubs full of figures that are outdated and doomed to garage sales of the future.

I was looking at my vintage to modern comparison cabinets hanging on the wall and even the few small holes left (White Bespin Guard, Sim Aloo, Blue Power Droid) aren't that noticeable.  And even with that, over the last 6 years almost all of them have been redone in SA form.  The list of what I want is really small and what I want vs what you all want poorly matches these days I think.  The whole thing has become so niche that it is hard to be mad at Hasbro for being so safe with it all.  I think the whole Troop Building fad is over.  Repacking clone after clone doesn't excite a lot of people.

All of that said, I am psyched for Wave 4 and what could come in Wave 5.  If Wave 6 is the last before EpVII stuff starts hitting, here is my dream:

Princess Leia (ANH) Resculpt with no soft goods
Lando Calrissian (ESB) Resculpt with soft good cape
Fozec
Sim Aloo
Mustache Bespin Guard
Blue Power Droid
Han Pre Carbonite w/ LED Block
Yak Face

I hope that Imperial and Rebel Officer and pilot sets continue the exclusive packs we have had.  I'd like to replace those POTF2/Saga officers and continue to fill out Snowspeeder and X-Wing pilot ranks.  But if none of that ever happens, I'm cool

I'm also sure the first Episode VII figure that comes out will be mine even though I don't have room :-\

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 9, 2014, 05:15 PM »
Last hurrah?

Tonnika Sisters.   >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: January 9, 2014, 06:14 PM »
What can we even all get behind?

I'd think ANH Leia, Han Carbo...  Those two would get lots of support from lots of people.

There are TONS of updates I would appreciate though...  Han Endor, Han Carbonite, Han Hoth (brown coat Taun Taun rider), Leia Bespin Escape, Lando Bespin removable cape, ANH Leia, Endor Leia (speeder bike compatible), Endor Luke (speeder bike compatible), Endor Rebel (vest), Endor Rebel (camo hooded coat/POTF2 resculpt), Ishi Tib Rebel resculpt, Captain Antilles resculpt, Death Squad Commander Repaint/head Variant...

That's just SOME updates I'd like, personally.  I see the well still full of stuff I'd like, but that's me, and the time's definitely dwindling for much of any of that.  Some could make nice multi-packs for sure, exclusives, but some is really unlikely at all even after the new trilogy is done.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 9, 2014, 07:42 PM »
I want to see a SA Yak Face! We haven't had a new one since POTF2.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: January 9, 2014, 08:00 PM »
I think I want Ree Yees more (sorry Jayson), as JP aliens go for resculpts...  Cantina alien resculpts I'd want even more though.  Nabrun Leids, the Devronian guy, a good ground-up Blue Snaggletooth?

That's again just resculpts...  New stuff?  The Snags from Jabba's Palace is my top from there.  The Cantina, I want Garrouf Lafoe who's long overdue IMO.  Humans need love too.  I want Jabba's human goons from the SE too...  Those guys got squat, but were visually interesting.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 10:59 AM »
No time for resculpts Jesse, too many obscure bozos with 4 frames of screen time yet to be made!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 11:31 AM »
I wonder if the new movie(s) will have any flashbacks to OT or PT material?  Not saying this will happen, but if Luke/Han/Leia flashes back to anything from the past, then maybe they could release a few OT figures to support those scenes. 

Along those lines, I'd be curious to know how involved Disney license managers are with new movie creation.  I have to think in this day and age that marketing has some influence over what we end up seeing on screen.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Even if they don't do flashbacks, they could drop in a few OT characters in to a cantina scene and have them be safely made - e.g. Tonnika sisters.  Probably harder to do with core characters though without a flashback.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 03:39 PM »
I'd say it is a given, assuming Ford, Fisher and Hamill are back, that there will be "evolution" sets of the ANH appearance of the characters along with the EVII appearances.  Hasbro loves that crap.