Author Topic: Disney to Purge Select EU  (Read 41507 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Disney to Purge Select EU
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 03:44 PM »
All good points.

I am in the camp that says "whore it out if it gives me more to enjoy" over a few non-whored out things here and there. A lot of not whored out stuff would have been best of course, but who would have guessed George was only in it for the money.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 07:11 PM »
I would've preferred less whoring only because I don't consider the Majority to be quality but elements of almost everything are neat...  But as complete works on their own I like far less than I don't like.  Lucas at this point is the only person who would argue it was special and mattered to him, I think.  It would've been nice had the reigns been tightened slightly but the prequal build-up and height saw just torrents of unchecked stuff.  It was like anyone with any idea was getting a license.

I don't think quality is an issue at all with this Disney change though.  Simply interference with what they want to do from here out.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 08:10 PM »
#2 - Han dies.  There were rumors a while back that Ford would join the case only if Solo gets killed off, likely in some dramatic fashion.  No Han means you've got to wipe out a good 90% of the EU stories following ROTJ.  He's not the star of many of those stories, but he's there, his relationship is there, his kids are there.  Hoping they don't go this route, but the whole Canon conversation makes it seem all the more likely to me.   :(

Personally, I feel that this is most likely one of the big motivators.

If you have stories in the EU set at, near or after the time-frame of the new Sequel Trilogy (or any of the one-off stories) AND you have sold-your-soul contractually to get an actor back for "one last time" - well then guess what? The agreement you made with that actor trumps everything, especially if part of that agreement is that Han dies.

Now I'm not going to say that this is what they're gonna do, but I think if they were SMART, and had already considered a Han Solo one-off movie, they should have contracted Ford to be in BOTH EP7 and the Han Solo movie - that way the Han Solo movie can be legitimized  by having the actor who originated the role playing the character one last time. Much like the concept of Leonard Nimoy playing Old/Trek Timeline #1 Spock in the 2009/2013 J.J. Abrams Trek movies.

But that's just my $0.02
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 02:01 PM »
Lucasfilm finally confirms it - the existing post-ROTJ EU is out

They're not discarding it completely, it'll live on as an "alternate universe" type thing under the Star Wars Legends branding. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Lucasfilm finally confirms it - the existing post-ROTJ EU is out

They're not discarding it completely, it'll live on as an "alternate universe" type thing under the Star Wars Legends branding.

I wonder what their position is on the pre TPM EU is?  Are things like Old Republic considered canon?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 02:20 PM »

I can live with that Mickey
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 02:30 PM »
I wonder what their position is on the pre TPM EU is?  Are things like Old Republic considered canon?

Reading the article, it sounds like old canon is still canon unless something Disney plans/does over-writes it.  Then it becomes a 'Legends' universe story. 

For instance, if they do end up making a 'young Han Solo' movie, I imagine that'd nuke all the existing young Han Solo books (Daley Han Solo Adventures; Crispin Han Solo Trilogy; etc).

I think the article only calls out post-ROTJ because Ep7/8/9 is the only thing they've officially announced so far.  Once other things get announced, more and more of the "pre-Disney" EU will become 'Legends' EU.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:31 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 04:28 PM »
Interesting that some fans are up in arms about this and claiming Disney raped my childhood.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 04:38 PM »
If you're a fan of the books, comics, etc, I can understand some frustrations with this. I don't know if a person can be too upset though; it's hardly the first time it's happened (original Marvel run, the Christmas special) and Lucas has maintained pretty much from the beginning, and with a blow horn during the prequels, that nothing outside of the films is cannon.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Interesting that some fans are up in arms about this and claiming Disney raped my childhood.

Not sure what's "interesting" about it. I know you hate EU so you don't care, but some of us do care. So it shouldn't be a surprise. I know we've discussed this before and I won't make a production about it again. I am just glad they are not just pretending the books/games/comics/etc didn't happen by using their "Legends" title.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 05:20 PM »
I've mentioned elsewhere but I'm curious if they'll try to rework and fit in any old eu into new eu?  Like characters or whatnot.  I'm not against any of this as eu was never canon anyway...  I always took a pick and choose motto on it because of that (and it being 50/50 at best to me in terms of quality).

I like them acknowledging little details will carry over...  Makes me wonder if some characters and details may get a reworking to "fit".  Fans have done that for decades already, haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 05:23 PM »
I don't see this necessarily being a bad thing. For those of us who like the idea of parallel universes, we can just consider the Post-ROTJ EU to be just that. It can live in harmony alongside what the sequels bring, similar to how the Star Trek reboot have done for TOS.

In terms of stories being ignored, they've already gone through this I believe with the Marvel comics. After the resurgence of Star Wars in media began in the 90s, I believe there were no references to Marvel material up until the Legacy of the Force anthology began. That essentially to me was ignoring what had come before, so it isn't necessarily new ground we're treading here.

At the same time it also makes sense and I'm wondering if they will do the same for the EU between ANH & ROTJ. I've always thought the EU between ANH & ESB was very messy as there's far too many stories and events taking place for the core heroes than could occur in that 3 year period. Between the Marvel comics series, the newspaper strips, the various Dark Horse lines, and novels, a lot seemed to take place in those 3 years and none of it really lined up together. So perhaps we'll get a clean slate there as well or since Disney owns Marvel, the 77-86 comic series will be considered the official story.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 05:32 PM »
This move seems to be the best course of action. It gives Disney/LFL a clean slate for the new movies, while not totally ignoring what has come before. It's especially nice that at least some of the old works will be kept around in print as the "Legends" series. That is better treatment than what the 2003 Clone Wars cartoon received back 2008.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 05:36 PM »

Not sure what's "interesting" about it. I know you hate EU so you don't care, but some of us do care. So it shouldn't be a surprise. I know we've discussed this before and I won't make a production about it again. I am just glad they are not just pretending the books/games/comics/etc didn't happen by using their "Legends" title.

Nick, using 'hate' is a strong word and putting words in my mouth, which I don't appreciate.  My opinions on EU is that it is non-canon.  I read some, liked some, didn't care for most, so I quite reading it.  It's an opinion and it's different than yours.  It doesn't mean that my feelings on EU should take away from your enjoyment.  That being said...

my point is that there are a lot of EU fans out there basically using "Disney raped my childhood" like some claimed "Lucas raped my childhood 15-20 years ago.  It's interesting the parallel there.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:43 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Fans of the Exhausted Universe: Your tears are delicious.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."