Author Topic: Disney to Purge Select EU  (Read 41502 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Disney to Purge Select EU
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Edit- Never mind Matt.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:17 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Dude, that is an awesome GIF, all things aside. I loved that episode.

I will say the most gratifying thing to come out of this for me is that they finally once and for all officially confirmed that the Clone Wars TV show is canon, and not "EU" as some people occasionally were referring to it.

To me it's an important distinction if for no other reason than the fact that this leaves the door cracked for Hasbro to make more Clone Wars inspired figures like those 2 upcoming Clones and not violate their no-EU figure ban. Hope for guys like Krell yet...a fool's hope maybe, but hope nonetheless.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2014, 03:49 AM »
Okay, can someone clarify something for me - is ALL EU considered out?

I took StarWars.com's press release to mean that anything post-ROTJ was out. However, I'm seeing on different sites (especially JTA's reports) and from different interpretations people saying that all EU is dead. So I'm not sure exactly what's going on.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 11:18 AM »

I took StarWars.com's press release to mean that anything post-ROTJ was out. However, I'm seeing on different sites (especially JTA's reports) and from different interpretations people saying that all EU is dead. So I'm not sure exactly what's going on.

I would say that all EU is on the chopping block, but some eras might not be in imminent "danger" of being changed. Obviously post-ROTJ is getting thrown out, but Rebels might also trample over some pre-existing comics, games and novels. KOTOR and Prequel era stuff is probably "safe" for the time being, but only until Disney/LFL turns their attention to those time periods with spinoff movies or TV shows. That's just my thinking on the announcement.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 12:04 PM »
I'd say they'll pick and choose if they'll keep anything going forward (they mention already some small details carrying over into Rebels for instance).  I'd say nothing is "out" yet because there aren't any new stories overwriting them.  Till those, it's all "sky is falling" to wind people up I think.  It's obvious SOME is out or will be come movie time.  Some characters like say the Solo kids, are 99% out I'd guess.  But at the same time who knows?  Nobody outside Disney/LFL knows and the releases own statement was that elements of EU will remain...  Small elements?  Maybe.  Big ones may linger on too.

So to that end I figure once they overwrite it, it's out...  Till then it's in.  And even once it's out, I'm sure parts of any story could still be crowbarred into the new stuff.  Thrawn could still exist as a character just in a different way.  Or Kyle Katarn.  Or Fett escaping the Sarlacc if they don't mention some other fate... 

It's not the great sadness to me, I guess, that others view it as.  Some stuff will inevitably be basically destroyed, but they'll never touch on all aspects of eu in the new films.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2014, 01:17 PM »
Checked again this morning and much to my relief, at least at this point, none of the books on my book shelf of well over 100 SW EU books have spontaneously combusted yet.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2014, 01:25 PM »
Checked again this morning and much to my relief, at least at this point, none of the books on my book shelf of well over 100 SW EU books have spontaneously combusted yet.

The combustion is schedules to occur on May the 4th.  ;D

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2014, 01:36 PM »

Good point. Dang it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 03:30 PM »

Good point. Dang it!

Time to invest in some fire-proof comic boxes.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 07:15 AM »

Since it hasn't been stated yet, yes, the entire EU is now "Legends".  What is cannon now is the existing six films, any new films by Disney (sequels and spin-offs), the Clone Wars cartoon series (including the theatrical release and "Lost Missions" or Season 6 that is now on Netflix, but not the Tartikovsky shorts), the upcoming Rebels cartoons, the Sons of Dathomir comics (coming from Dark Horse comics - these will center on Maul and are adapted from CW scripts) and the just announced novels that will be released from Del Ray.  Going forward, it appears that everything will be cannon that comes out from Disney, including anything that is licensed by Lucasfilm and/or Disney.  So any new Marvel comics, Del Ray books, video games, etc. will all be cannon on the same level as the movies.

Essentially this makes the existing EU stories that may or may not have been true.  In some cases it will just be fictional stories in the Star Wars universe.  In other cases, it could be like the equivalent of George Washington chopping down the cherry tree and telling his parents that he could not tell a lie.  We know he existed, but there really isn't a way to verify the story.

My biggest fear is laziness from Disney or Lucasfilm.  Something along the lines of using Mara Jade as a template for Luke's wife for the sequels, but changing her character to make her fit the way they want.  I would prefer a brand new character rather than a Mara lite.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2014, 12:11 AM »
As I said in my original post, I'm still fine with this, but it is kind of sad to see EU as a whole basically gone. Plus, nothing says we still can't pick and choose which EU material to follow. :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2014, 12:15 AM »
Plus, nothing says we still can't pick and choose which EU material to follow. :P

This.

Plus like I said, I haven't seen anything that says ALL EU has been dumped into the abyss.  Like the statement said, Rebels is already picking up on things from the 1980's even...  Sienar Fleet Systems will "exist" as something, etc.

Till me, till a movie dumps on it, it's part of my world if I like it...  After a movie dumps on it, I'll try fudging in what I enjoyed about the old EU that got fudged up.

Yeah I re-read the statement and it's basically that the EU's there till it's overwritten and even then, it's still there but just different.  I'm curious to see what elements will be brought into NEW material.  They said all elements of the EU will be available to people working on new material...  That's kind of telling I think that EU isn't dead like is being claimed...  It isn't.  A storyline or character could get overtaken by the new stuff though.

I liked the line, "Lucasfilm always strived to keep the continuity in order" (paraphrased), when man they didn't strive for dick.  They were constantly crow barring things together, and fitting things after they realized they dumped on a previous character or story plot...  It happened constantly.  They never gave a hoot by my estimation.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:24 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2014, 09:35 AM »
I have to say, I like the Legends solution.  It keeps these established works out there for fans of those comics, games and novels to continue to enjoy.  LFL and Disney aren't purging those stories, but they do appear to be terminating those stories that don't fit within the timeline that they're trying to pursue with new projects like the REBELS animated series and the Sequel Trilogy.

I imagine what we may be about to encounter is which stories are going to continue on, and which are coming to an end.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Plus, nothing says we still can't pick and choose which EU material to follow. :P

This.

Plus like I said, I haven't seen anything that says ALL EU has been dumped into the abyss.  Like the statement said, Rebels is already picking up on things from the 1980's even...  Sienar Fleet Systems will "exist" as something, etc.

Till me, till a movie dumps on it, it's part of my world if I like it...  After a movie dumps on it, I'll try fudging in what I enjoyed about the old EU that got fudged up.

Yeah I re-read the statement and it's basically that the EU's there till it's overwritten and even then, it's still there but just different.  I'm curious to see what elements will be brought into NEW material.  They said all elements of the EU will be available to people working on new material...  That's kind of telling I think that EU isn't dead like is being claimed...  It isn't.  A storyline or character could get overtaken by the new stuff though.

I liked the line, "Lucasfilm always strived to keep the continuity in order" (paraphrased), when man they didn't strive for dick.  They were constantly crow barring things together, and fitting things after they realized they dumped on a previous character or story plot...  It happened constantly.  They never gave a hoot by my estimation.

I believe everyone is missing the point here.  The announcement has said there is no more EU.  There is canon and there is Legends.  Essentially everything we have seen as the EU is now Legends.  Canon now consists of the films, CW TV series, Rebels TV series, the upcoming Darth Maul comic and everything else coming forward, essentially starting in 2015.  Everything else is dead and gone.  It isn't a situation of Mara Jade, Jacen, Jaina and Anakin Solo still exist until Episode VII says so.  It is a situation of that they no longer exist unless a new movie, novel, comic, etc. says they exist.  Even then, the most likely won't exist in the form we have previously seen them.

What was the EU is now called Legends...essentially if the Star Wars universe was real, these would be works of fiction that Han, Luke and Leia would read.  Disney may pull something from these sources, like with Seinar, but that does not make ever mention of Seiner in the old EU canon.

As for keeping everything in continuity, I think they did a lot better job than you give them credit for.  For the most part, Lucas is the one who threw the biggest monkey wrenches into continuity.  The Clone War series is the largest example.  To be fair, Lucas always said he reserved the right to do so.  Take a look a Nathan P. Butler's Star Wars Timeline Gold to see just how much of a timeline the old EU covers.  It is pretty staggering.  He has hundreds upon hundreds of pages of timeline info.

This announcement really didn't surprise me.  Disney paid a lot of money for Star Wars.  I would think that movies may be the route for the biggest return on their investment.  It doesn't make sense to chain themselves to an existing EU.  People have been saying for years that Zahn's Thrawn trilogy would make great movies.  While they are great novels, I don't think there is that much action overall for a trilogy of movies.  Most of the time, a novel ends up being better that the movie that adapts it.  With rumors of a Han Solo movie or a Boba Fett movie, it makes sense to dump any previous material.  A fresh start like this makes the most sense.  It also removes any ambiguity going forward.  If Disney allows something to be created, whether it be a movie, novel, comic, tv show or game, what happens is canon in the Star Wars universe.  I much prefer that over the levels of canon that were required under the old EU.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2014, 12:46 PM »
Was the Tartakovsky series specifically mentioned as being out? I assumed that would be included in the "canon" media along with the 3D animated series.

Thinking back, there is really nothing in there to contradict anything else that is likely to be covered. Even Durge can easily be dovetailed into the existing continuity.

Some of that stuff, particularly the lead-in to ROTS, is fairly noteworthy, it seems to me.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy