Author Topic: Toy Fair 2014  (Read 19440 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Toy Fair 2014
« on: January 16, 2014, 04:51 PM »
A month away from Toy Fair (16-19 Feb) and I thought I'd get a thread started.  What are our expectations?  Any new figure announcements?  Possibly some "Rebels" reveals?  Questions for Hasbro reps (if they do a Q&A).

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Fair 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 03:40 PM »
I'm certainly hoping to see the next couple waves of the Black Series, both 3-3/4" (Wave 4 and more) and 6" figures (Wave 4 and more).  I'm hoping we'll see the 6" Scout and Speeder Bike too.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 05:02 PM »
Given the reveal of the Inquisitor over at the official site?  Rebels is probably going to be the big push at Toy Fair.  But I'm also wondering if the Star Wars line is going to get scaled back the way we've also seen the Hasbro Marvel movie lines get scaled back.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 07:05 PM »
I think we'll see 4/5 of 4" TBS, one wave ahead on 6" TBS, a bit of Rebels unveiling, possibly Jabba AND Speederbike/scout 6" TBS as that is supposedly an assortment... 

No exclusives.  Old hat on vehicles.  I'd guess Rebels will eat up any 5POA slots, and no film stuff except what we already know of.

No "Big" item.

Angry Bird SW still having a presence as it's still a strong seller for them I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 11:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm hoping to see the next 6" wave after the one with Bespin Luke. I assume this would be Anakin, Clone Trooper, and Chewbacca, with Obi-Wan being the carry forward figure. (I realize what an asinine choice that is, just passing along what I have been reading in the rumor mills) Really just want to see Chewie.

I'm probably most keen to see any Rebels stuff they might have to show off though, hopefully something besides just figures.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 07:32 AM »
I'm not expecting anything. I have no interest in the 6 inch line or the Rebels line, and those are probably going to dominate, along with Angry Birds like Jesse said. We might see pics of the next wave after the Dagobah Luke/Yoda wave but nothing else.

I'm actually expecting Hasbro to not have anything Star Wars, at least what little they will have will be brushed aside in favor of Marvel stuff since the movies are out in April and May. Star Wars will get more focus at SDCC, but that should be all Rebels.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 09:56 AM »
Yeah, I'm hoping to see the next 6" wave after the one with Bespin Luke. I assume this would be Anakin, Clone Trooper, and Chewbacca, with Obi-Wan being the carry forward figure. (I realize what an asinine choice that is, just passing along what I have been reading in the rumor mills) Really just want to see Chewie.

I hope we find these rumors unfounded.  I'd hate to see a 6" wave dominate by prequel figures.  I just have this feeling that they'll be the 6" version of the TVC TPM wave.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 11:32 AM »
I thought when the 6" line was originally starting up, it was mentioned (even by Hasbro?) that the line would maintain a 3 to 1 ratio of OT/PT.  Then again, now we're down to 3 new figures per wave, so who knows.

As for Toy Fair, I think it could be an interesting year, depending on how chatty Hasbro will be about the future.  I'm a little concerned that many retailers don't seem to be carrying/ordering the 3 3/4" Black Series, and we still haven't seen preorders even go up for the Dagobah Luke wave.  So, I'm most interested to see what will be revealed for that line - but like others have said I could see more focus on Rebels, 6" Black Series, and Angry Birds (and Marvel/Transformers/etc. with those movies this year).

Realistically, I hope we see the next couple waves of 6" figures (or one wave beyond Bespin Luke), the next wave after the Dagobah/Empire wave of 3 3/4" Black Series, and a nice preview of Rebels (maybe 7-10 figures and a vehicle or two?).  I think many of us are most interested in the state of the line at this point, and what we'll see this year overall.  I just wonder if superarticulated (or just, articulated) 3 3/4" figures are going to continue on, or if we'll see more of a Marvel approach of 6" Collector figures and 3 3/4", 5 POA action figures.  Then again, if you look at the Cap movie line, they have the 6" collector figures and a smaller wave (four figures I think) of the smaller scale stuff, but I think the figures themselves are pretty nice.  If Star Wars got the same conservative approach, but kept up the articulation/detail along those lines, I'd be happy.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 12:14 PM »
If a new movie came out and we only got 4 new figures I would cry.

Not really, but it would bum me waaaay out.

As far as Toy Fair goes, I really have no idea, and after last year I am simply not getting my hopes up.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 12:34 PM »
I'm actually expecting Hasbro to not have anything Star Wars, at least what little they will have will be brushed aside in favor of Marvel stuff since the movies are out in April and May. Star Wars will get more focus at SDCC, but that should be all Rebels.

Don't forget Transformers.  With a movie coming this summer, they've already started the pre-Toy Fair hype machine. I'm expecting a TON of attention/time being aimed on the new kiddie-focused figures the article mentions.  ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 01:26 PM »
I agree with that the current Transformers are tough to transform and I guess I prefer the vintage ones over these complex ones.  Now, doing a transformation with a push of the button?  Intriguing, but hopefully spring-loaded and not electronic.  In fact, didn't they have some spring-loaded ones back in the old days?

As for SW, I think Jesse might have it right.  SW is not going to be their main focus right now.  But I'm curious to know how satisfied Hasbro is with the 6" line?  Has its sales met its expectations?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 01:37 PM »
I think the reason we haven't seen a pre-order for the ESB wave is that there will be no further Black Series waves. The line, on the 3 and 3/4 side anyways, hasn't performed. My guess is we'll see the collector line re-established concurrently with Rebels in the fall and the ESB figures will set that off. We'll see some strong OT figures until the new movie late 2015. At this stage retailers must be looking past TBS and it makes sense to hold off until there's some extra media support.

I expect to see one, maybe two waves of the 6 inch figures, a little bit of Rebels but nothing really since they'll wait until closer to launch to spring most of it. it will be very slim overall as we're now used to. Once Rebels kicks into gear, and we creep closer to the movie, things will improve.

There were quick change transformers - the Jumpstarters Top Spin and Twin Twist (two of my faves) - had this exact same concept in 85.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 02:01 PM »
TBS 4" sold well here...  No clearance and I've seen all 3 waves.  The last 2 sporadic but they also didn't show till after Xmas.  Wave 1 sold through many cases before it backed up and now there are stragglers but I'd not call it peg warming.  A clone or two a Biggs or Ani...  I saw more Padme than others just last week.

It sold as well as the 6" did if not better.  Costs involved probably balanced it out.

Legends stuff did ok at some stores and not so well at others.  At Walmart where it was almost all that was new it sold better.  At TRU Kmart and Target not so much.  Kmart seemed to sell a little but hit a dead spot quickly. 

That's here anyway.  TBS, both scales, sold steady...  I saw none on clearance at Target or I'd have picked up some Biggs maybe for cheap.  Right now when I do see any it is limited selection.  Some Kmart stores have one of several characters from wave 1 as they seemed to get a Wave 1 case in right at Xmas.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 02:25 PM »
If a new movie came out and we only got 4 new figures I would cry.

Not really, but it would bum me waaaay out.

As far as Toy Fair goes, I really have no idea, and after last year I am simply not getting my hopes up.

Yeah, I guess I didn't necessarily mean a wave of four figures for SW, that is a different beast entirely.  I am ok with the style of the Cap figures though.  They might not have quite as much articulation, but they are better than the 5 point stuff and can at least stand and everything.  Now if they could drop the price a couple dollars that would be great.  In a non movie year like this, I'd be happy with 20 to 25 figures though.  I'm sort of wondering if Darby is right and we are in for a Black Series (3 3/4) break for a bit, or even the end of super articulated stuff (hopefully not).  I just hope that if we don't see much we at least get answers as to the future of the line, leading up to the new movies.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:15 PM by Brian »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Why not retire the uninspired Black Series and have, like Yakface suggested, a Power of the Force vintage themed waves with a lot of OT goodness like Sim Aloo, Yakface and others?