Author Topic: TWD-To Read or Not to Read  (Read 5954 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
TWD-To Read or Not to Read
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:50 PM »
So I now have the first seven (plus some after that as well), sorry I am not a comic book guy so my terms may be wrong, graphic novels of The Walking Dead comics (the paper bound multi comics in one things). And I can't decide if I should start reading them (I have read the first one) or not. I want to so when Abraham shows up I can be all excited about him (or when Michonne did, etc.), but I also kind of like not knowing what is going to happen. Of course I know they are far from following the same story, but for instance I hadn't read the first set until after Shane died in the show and I didn't see that coming. At least not nearly as much as I have to guess the comic readers did.

So I would appreciate thoughts from others if anyone is so inclined. Thanks in advance.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Re: TWD-To Read or Not to Read
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:41 AM »
They are certainly a lot different and I've been debating the same thing.  I bought Compendium 1 and read that as the first half of season 4 was winding down.  It goes from the beginning up until the end of the prison run.  I don't think it would have ruined anything for me had I read it earlier.  That said, I'm in the same boat as you and can't decide if I want to start reading Compendium 2 just to see what "might" happen.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 11:19 AM »
I have read all of the WD comics to date.  I started with the graphic novel collections like you have Nick, then switched over to monthly books around issue #85-90 I think.  Finally caught up and got tired of waiting 6 months for the next part of the story.  If you really like the show, you should read the comic.  The stories are so divergent now that it's like reading an alternate universe storyline or EU or maybe even an initial script for the show.  Yes, some parts of the story will overlap, but I don't think it would spoil anything for the show, since you never know where they're going to take things.  There are already so many differences between the two in the current storyline:

TV Andrea is dead, but continues to be a pivotal character in the books
Daryl and Beth and Sasha are all non-factors in the book versus the show
Shane lasted longer in the show, but Rick's wife died much sooner. 
Judith's story is very different, as was Sophia's
Carol is a totally different character in the book and was never banished from the group
There was no flu/plague in the book

It really is like a reading a vastly different story where some of the characters have similarities and some are totally different.  If you like Alternate Scenes, Expanded Universe, Marvel What If, etc. then you will like reading the book.  Besides, book Abraham totally rocks.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 06:57 PM »
I think you should read them.  The show is different enough at this point where, although you'll get a sense of what might be coming, the show will still surprise you.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 07:39 PM »
I've started reading them... I'm about 85% finished with the first compendium. I have to say I enjoy the TV show a lot more. The pacing of the comics is much different.  Still it's nice to see a sort of blizzaro TWD universe and stories though.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Thanks gentlemen.

Based off the way I was leaning and no one saying "don't read them", I am half way through volume 1. Now to hope I can find the others I need used before I get to that point since my self control isn't good and I don't want to spend $15 per on the others.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 01:16 PM »
Compendium 2 was $25 at Amazon a few days ago.  It's up to $30 now.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 01:44 PM »

I decided to stick with the smaller versions. Those Compendiums are so huge. Not sure why that matters to me. (leave it alone Justin)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 03:54 PM »
I'm going with reading but slowly so I don't leapfrog the show.  I'm doing the same with Game of Thrones.  Even if stuff doesn't line perfectly between the two I still prefer to be behind on the reading.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 03:59 PM »
I'm going with reading but slowly so I don't leapfrog the show.  I'm doing the same with Game of Thrones.  Even if stuff doesn't line perfectly between the two I still prefer to be behind on the reading.

That is a tempting plan of action. I'm surprised you've been able to not "need to know what happens next" and thrown out your plan though. Not sure I would be able to do that.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 04:42 PM »

That'll be tough with GoT, Jesse.  Once you're done with Book 3 and Season 4, the next two books are essentially one book split into two and the characters are divided geographically.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 05:50 PM »
I don't have a ton of time to read, so I tend to go pretty slowly with it...  My own pace keeps me in line, but yeah I'm pretty good about just walking away from it for a while should I see I'm getting into known territory.  I'll just put it down, come back to it later.

It took me like 3 years to read a book about trench warfare.  I'm great at walking away from a book and coming back to it.  :-[
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 05:57 PM »
It took me like 3 years to read a book about trench warfare.  I'm great at walking away from a book and coming back to it.  :-[

The book was like trench warfare, eh?  Lots of fighting, losing your spot, regaining, gassing, until you finally vanquish your foe.  :-p

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 06:15 PM »
It was a read of attrition.  After many hours were lost, finally victory.  Good informative read but I'd just walk away for months then one day start reading it again...  I have no clue why.  In college I marathon read stuff but now I just wander.  Ill do that with multiple books at the same time even.  I don't have ADD...  I'm just goofy I guess.  :-\

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 08:27 PM »

I decided to stick with the smaller versions. Those Compendiums are so huge. Not sure why that matters to me. (leave it alone Justin)

I prefer the volumes as well, which are much larger than a single comic, but not grossly oversized and flapping all over like a compendium.  There truly is such a thing as too big you know. 

Most of the Volumes are about $10-12 on Amazon, but you may be able to find groups of them for even less on Ebay.  I got most of mine for $6-7 from some clearance sale years back. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today