Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy  (Read 48784 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy
« Reply #90 on: August 4, 2014, 12:32 AM »
Absolutely loved Groot and Rocket and thei Han/Chewie thing

Speak of the devil...today at www.teefury.com

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 4, 2014, 09:21 AM »
Looks like GotG brought in $94 million on its opening weekend. Just a million short of Cap2.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 4, 2014, 09:38 AM »
So I read that number yesterday in the earlier part of the day, then I went to a nearly sold out 8:30 PM showing.

Do they stop counting at some point in the weekend or were they just estimating?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #93 on: August 4, 2014, 10:14 AM »
They estimate Sunday (usually 15% to 20% less than Saturday) to get the $94 million for the press.  Tonight they'll release the official numbers.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #94 on: August 4, 2014, 11:06 AM »
https://www.riptapparel.com

More SW/GOTG Tshirt mashups
« Last Edit: August 4, 2014, 11:26 AM by Scott »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 4, 2014, 04:48 PM »
Absolutely loved Groot and Rocket and thei Han/Chewie thing

Speak of the devil...today at www.teefury.com

Ordered.  Thanks for the link Scott!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 4, 2014, 05:03 PM »
I'm glad I don't have to wait another two weeks, but in the grand scheme that's not too bad.  Used to be it could take months for a new release to hit international territories.

Don't I know it! My very first movie on the big screen was RotJ. It premiered in February 1984  ;D That'd mean I get to see EPVI in September 2016  :o ;D

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #97 on: August 4, 2014, 07:34 PM »
I saw it today and loved it.  I agree with Scott that Cap 2 is winner of the best film overall in this series though.

I've never read Guardians of the Galaxy, so I don't really know how true to the comics it was, but still had a lot of fun watching it!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 5, 2014, 10:19 AM »
I don't think anyone actually read the comic. It's too obscure kind of like Ant Man. Marvel must have had a lot of influence on this one's marketing. Disney usually screws up the marketing angle royally. Can you say John Carter or Frozen?  Frozen did well without the stupid Oloff marketing while no one has a clue who John Carter is.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 5, 2014, 05:59 PM »
Actually GOTG rebooted a year and a half ago with these specific characters and it's been selling very well from what I understand.  I haven't seen the movie, so not sure what liberties they've taken, but I'm sure things like the Nova-Corps are very different from what we get in the comics.  From the previews, it does look to me like they got the character personalities right across the team, which is really what Marvel has been doing across all the Avengers stuff.  If you get a macho Stark, boy scout Cap, Regal Thor, and a Wise-cracking Star Lord, you can make the link to the comics while changing the storyline all you want.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #100 on: August 5, 2014, 08:34 PM »
I think they've set themselves up awfully pretty for the Avengers/GotG/Thanos showdown in Avengers 3.  Could be a 2+ billion dollar movie right there.  GotG2 could end up being very ESB-like, with the heroes thoroughly defeated and then reaching out for help from Stark & Co.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 5, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Went again today, still loved it.  Honestly, it may be a bit of the "newness" excitement right now, but I think this breaks my personal Top 10.  It is definitely right up there with Avengers, Winter Soldier, and the original Iron Man as my favorite Marvel movies.  The fact that it is this obscure property makes it all the more cool.  I wasn't overly aware of a lot of these characters as a kid, but got into the cosmic stuff a bit more with the whole revival in the comics with Abnett/Lanning a few years back.  This group is the one that really stuck with me, and it is so exciting to see them on the big screen (and in such a good movie as well).  Hope to get to see it again in theaters, and the blu ray can't come soon enough :).

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 6, 2014, 06:26 AM »
I don't think anyone actually read the comic. It's too obscure kind of like Ant Man. Marvel must have had a lot of influence on this one's marketing. Disney usually screws up the marketing angle royally. Can you say John Carter or Frozen?  Frozen did well without the stupid Oloff marketing while no one has a clue who John Carter is.

I actually dived right into the GotG comics a while ago. Just to get to know the characters and events. Admittedly, not the really old stuff, just the more recent stuff. Very entertaining and pretty dark sometimes too.

Ordered that Grootbacca/Rocket Solo shirt off Teefury and added that nice Bobakira shirt as well. Wrote them a funny e-mail, asking them to pretty-please get this shirt to me asap, so that I can wear it on the 15th or 16th :D

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 6, 2014, 03:48 PM »
Fun movie...Loved it!  I think that collector guy was from one of the after scene credits that completely confused me from one of the other Marvel movies.

I actually knew who the end credit guy was in this one  :D
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #104 on: August 6, 2014, 08:35 PM »
The Collector was in the post-credit scene in Thor 2.