Author Topic: Acid Rain - by Ori Toy  (Read 52599 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Acid Rain - by Ori Toy
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2015, 08:49 PM »

Guess who's in stock! :)  Click the image above, and buy one, because I guarantee you won't be disappointed in this quality piece of toy!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2015, 09:13 PM »
And like that, sold out...  Quad Eyes is out too (sand deco), so it looks like I'm waiting for new stock on both.

Got my first Laurel, but my 2nd will have to be on the back burner I suppose.  :-\

Glad Acid Rain's popular.  Glad people are seeing what quality toys they are, but damn I was gonna buy stuff next month.  >:(

Also see new figures...  Robotic soldiers, and a female soldier of some type from a new "squad"?  Hmmm
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #77 on: July 9, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Been watching AR's instagram as they're updating with pics from the show.

Looks like the Laurel "Worker" suit is due out late this year.  Merry Xmas to me! :P

And there's an aquatic Laurel with a kick ass diver bell type helmet on it.  It transforms into a vehicle too, not just acting as a suit, and actually becomes a submarine type vehicle.  It's beyond awesome looking.

Also new figures including a female of some kind named Sofi, an android soldier, and FINALLY the "Soil Ghosts" who remind me of the "bad" people out in the wastelands in Mad Max movies...  People affected by the pollution with defects and things.  Though their story seems to be much less them being bad, as being outcast and almost kind of sad.  I wish the guy who makes this series would get a comprehensive story and list of characters and things together.  It's kind of piecemeal right now.

Anyway, they also showed what appears to be a civilian version of the Flak Bike with a trailer, used as farm equipment before it is made into a weapon of war.

Insane what this line's doing...  The price may seem steep but it's worth it, especially if you're paying $8-$10 for 5POA Star Wars figures.  These will seem like a bargain.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: October 7, 2015, 09:20 PM »
Bought another Quad Eyes, giving me 3 of them...  This was a partial gift from someone to me. 

I got the Sand Deco which I got at TheToySource since nobody had the sand deco in stock and the prices were good.  The sand is quite different actually and seems a little more "Rebellion" to me.  Like what these look like off the assembly line.

It also didn't have the nudie girl poster in the cockpit, but came with 5 loose anti-war posters mixed in on "worn" paper.

Also this had the extra plastic tracks packed into the box, a change from the original shipment of these.

Anyway, fun to have a new Acid Rain toy to play with. :)  Keeping me busy.

In other news I can only imagine the Laurel Worker variant is going to ship before long because the line's creator keeps posting images of the Worker on Instagram here and there.  Hope it's coming soon!
« Last Edit: October 7, 2015, 09:22 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #79 on: November 2, 2015, 11:38 PM »
Acid Rain updated with a look at the Laurel Worker... and his bulging package.  :-X

The box he comes in apparently is a functional part of the toy, acting as a big ass piece of cargo for the mech to pick up and...  well...  set down somewhere.

This is like the ASP-7 droid on roids.  No wonder I love it.  :P (Cable and Jim would get that.)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: December 4, 2015, 03:28 AM »
Select Acid Rain On Sale for 24 Hours!

It's EE's Daily Deal today!  It looks like a couple of the out-of-stock figures count and I assume they'll get more back in?  I stocked up on some troop builders like Argurts Infantry and Bob tonight though.  Two great figures, and I want to make a "General Bob" Star Wars figure with an extra Bob head.  ;D  I'll use his masked head for a generic Bucks soldier.  Go good with the two Laurels I picked up.  :-X

Wishing some of the vehicles were on sale...  think I'd probably have gone a little too nutty with the CC tonight.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: December 4, 2015, 03:54 PM »
Select Acid Rain On Sale for 24 Hours!

...Wishing some of the vehicles were on sale...  think I'd probably have gone a little too nutty with the CC tonight.

Not sure when they added them, but three vehicles are now included in the sale.  Good luck grabbing them!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: December 4, 2015, 08:00 PM »
Thanks to your heads up Jeff, I absolutely went a lil too nutty with the CC.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #83 on: December 7, 2015, 01:07 AM »
So, my haul...

2-Laurel's for Xmas gifts (yay me!  I have a Laurel "Squad" going now!), a MkII Speeder (my 2nd), and about 7 figures I do believe.  Gotta retally that, as something went out of stock on me.

Good haul on their 20% off daily deal though.  Lovin' the line in general, and got a few of the figures I DID NOT have yet.  So that was just awesome.

OK, rest of the haul...

-2 Bucks Team Argus Armor Snipers 20% off (didn't have him yet)
-2 Laurel Suits 20% off (my 2nd & 3rd!)
-1 MkII Speeder 20% off (my 2nd)
-2 Agurts Infantry 20% off (amazed they were available)
-1 Bucks Team Bob 20% off (putting the extra head on for a Bucks Team infantry guy)
-1 Bucks Team Jack 20% off (Didn't have him yet)

So I got two figures I didn't have yet, and dups of vehicles I wanted extras of anyway, and some army builders on a line I'd vowed to not army build.  The 20% off daily deal was a steal on this stuff though.  The quality is top notch, and I've paid full price, just spacing my purchases out when I do so.

Was just saying in the Bossfight thread that the going rate on these kind of "premium" toys is pretty high...  Bossfight's stuff is on the lower end of that pricing, so it's tough to fault it in my eyes.  A "premium" Star Wars figure is $13 now, and $20 in the larger scale which Hasbro says is why they went 6" (they can do a larger scale for barely a bump higher, so why not?).  It's a sign of the times.  If you want something kick ass, you have to pay for it I guess.  :-\

For me, my $ goes where I think they're delivering the best that also interests me.  Hasbro's 3.75" SA figures will get my $ till they stop doing them, but Acid Rain is a line I fell in love with on the first VERY reluctant purchase I made.  While Boss Fight's figures aren't my cup of tea really, I plan to nab a few.  My brother went all in on their kickstarter though.

It's what interests you ultimately.  Acid Rain's making things I love...  Industrial, military-looking mechs, heavy weathering/paint apps, and wild articulation and detail.  It's a mix of World War II, Star Wars, Aliens, and then Mech suits of any kind out of Japan (Chinese design/manufacturer though).  They're imports too, so price is what it is.  Also there are Hiya Toys' line of Aliens: Colonial Marines figures...  The aliens were INSANELY well done, scaled right to Star Wars figures, and now they're doing a hyper articulated Power Loader and a Hicks and Hudson.  I have Hot Toys' Snap Kits of the Aliens figures, and they're great (and were also pricey back in the day!), and these Hiya Toys figures look pretty great too.  It's all in what you like/want, and are willing to shell out for it I guess.

Bossfight's Vitruvian hacks have my attention to say the least, just as their partnership with Marauder Inc. to make "generic" soldiers has my interest.  Those aren't cheap either, but again it is what it is in this kind of market.

It's like begging for "hallways" as playsets...  Hasbro won't do them because they target such a small minority's interest, but someone will make one for $100 that's about 12" long.  If you can choke the price down, you can get what you want, ultimately.   :-\  If you want it, someone will make it.  You can go right now and get a very nice, accurate looking "Cantina Alcove" that is basically a miniaturized version of the thing Sideshow made in 1/6 scale...  Is it cheap?  No.  Should it be?  No, because it's a small group trying to put them out.  I feel it could be done for less, but that's just an opinion, and they can ask whatever they want because it's their effort/work ultimately.

"Toys" are on this designer trend more and more...  3.75" is a dying scale it seems, and niche markets are getting companies that are equally small trying to put out things they'll like, and it seems to be working somewhat ok.  $20 figures won't help the world of army building though, that's for sure.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 7, 2015, 04:14 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2015, 07:01 PM »
So apparently now my Argus guys ARE in stock and shipping...  makes me wish I'd ordered a 3rd now. :P

It's a very Acid Rain Xmas at my house.  Well, it's a very hefty CC bill in January I guess actually.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2015, 12:02 AM »
Really glad that 1) they actually put this stuff on sale for once and 2) it lasted long enough for you to score what you wanted for the most part. 

Plus, the referral linky clicks/sales help the site, which is always nice! ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2015, 12:17 AM »
I was doing it from the toy show floor too after your message... Paid off though well.

Now bring on some new pre-orders.  Keep seeing teases on Instagram (because I guess China blocks FB?) and man, I'm just ready to pre-order already.  Guess he's working on articulated fingers for the Laurel suits going forward.  Fankly I'm ok with single-piece hands myself, but articulated hands, I'm ok with that too.

And I cannot wait for that Laurel Worker with big ass cargo box/packaging, and shovel.  I just love the thought put into it all.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2015, 02:23 AM »
Another new pic.  A worker figure of some sort?  Hmm.  Interesting.  Looks perfectly at home in any local cantina too. ;D

https://twitter.com/jesse_james77/status/676590388782735360

Love the line expanding to more unmasked characters.  It seems like the story is expanding too.  I'd like to see it condensed into some kind of book at some point.  All the background on the toys is vague at this point.  Not very structured.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2015, 07:10 PM »
I've seen a good bit more of late on Instagram, out of an asian show...  More worker/civilian type figures, 3 Laurels (a Hiroshima specific one and one from maybe Tokyo?  Both with their own tools, and it looks like their own pilots as well).

Also a MkI Speeder variant, Sand with what look like large water-cooled machine guns...  While that's all neat and stuff, the MkI Speeder is, without a doubt, my least liked item they've made.  It's like $90, and it's TINY by comparison to every other piece, and has the least amount of movable parts.  Also the figure it comes with is very glossy compared to others.  It's easily their worst piece for the price.  It's neat in a way, but has more flaws than others and the least value any of them delivers.

Here is a link to it: https://twitter.com/jesse_james77/status/683047309341425664

So a "variant" is far less interesting to me.  It's gonna cost the same or more I'd assume.  I knew this was coming, just not as interesting as the Laurel Worker variations which are numerous.

Also the Flak Bike has re-emerged, with the trailer, and pumpkins.  Again, I don't get why the Flak Bike has a trailer, and pumpkins, but I like all of it.  It's gonna cost though, I can see it coming.  It's a fair size, it transforms in what looks to be a complex manner, and the treads are all 3 individual linked tracks and stuff.  That one's gonna hurt and I was wanting a few.  :-X :-[
« Last Edit: January 1, 2016, 05:24 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2016, 07:42 PM »
I'm not a big Lost Planet guy at all, never even played the game, but their 1/18 mech and figure line got my attention,a nd holy **** this new one is badass looking!

Not starting their own thread for them, but the figures are kinda cool (I bought one), and have actually individual fingers on each hand, not just all clumped together like a typical figure.  Odd design.  They fit in ok with Acid Rain stuff, and their mechs, while pricey, look awesome and like they'd look dandy with Star Wars.

That beast lights up though, a lot.  Looks like quite a few light locations. 

And a hefty (almost $200) pricetag to go with it. :-X