Author Topic: Acid Rain - by Ori Toy  (Read 52585 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Acid Rain - by Ori Toy
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2016, 11:06 PM »
My 3 came in...  man the snow deco isn't that high on my list of wants, but this armor is all kind of kick ass.  It is actually applied like armor, and over top of a basic figure torso, so this was I'm sure something that economically helped them keep costs down while basically giving us a new figure for all intents and purposes.  It's really a neat figure and the cargo box packaging?  It's functional, they stack upon each other and kind of "lock" together so they can't just slip off of one another with a bump to a shelf...  It's awesome.  The handles on the box are sized perfectly to the Laurel's hands too, absolutely perfectly, so that they fit quite well and look badass like they're loading the boxes aboard a ship or something.

I have a hankering for more of these guys now, but I really hope they mix up deco and give us some green, black, tan/sand, and other deco choices.  I'd even dig some "urban" ones that the box is maybe a different color and the trooper is maybe more of a police deco like riot troops or something.

If I have a complaint at all, it's a lack of functioning holsters/sheaths and removable parts from weapons.  In this case a removable bayonet would've been cool and a sheath for it even cooler.  Likewise though, ALL these figures could use a pistol with a holster as an extra plus.

But if it meant giving up the box, I'll take the cargo box any day of the week.  Lacks deco, but is instant diorama fodder.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2016, 12:23 AM »
As per the front page, Acid Rain is going to space with its story...

It makes them all the more fitting in a Star Wars scene.  Seems like a lot of Industrial sci fi looking stuff is on the horizon!

http://www.jedidefender.com/index.php?id=2288

2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Will there be aliens? Please tell me there will be aliens!

I can't get into a line that is solely human centric, but throw some weirdo alien goons in there and I'm down.  :)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2016, 08:46 PM »
Since Star Wars is like a solid 80% humans it seems, I'm ok with this not being alien focused...  I'd highly doubt any aliens are involved.  While it's a scifi line, it's more post apocalyptic than anything.  There are mutated humans coming, a droid(s), and sci-fi industrial stuff, but aliens probably won't be a part of any of the line if I were to guess. 

Guys in space suits that look like zero G construction workers though?  Good bet!  :D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2016, 06:12 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNB3-r3gX_x/?taken-by=acidrainworld

Working flanges for the astronaut guys?  I'm intrigued!  At least the thumb appears to grip.  These are very Japanese looking in their inspiration with a little bit of the Alien franchise mixed in too.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2016, 11:56 PM »
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TNAR1520S&id=JE-405087801

The ONE Acid Rain toy I was meh about went on sale and got me to cave and buy!  Wish I had more $ at the moment because I think I'd pick up 2x more and customize them into normal decos.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2017, 07:30 PM »
EE has the pre-orders up for 3 things from Acid Rain...

Space Prison Astronaut

Laurel "Corpse" (Rusted destroyed Laurel with a "dead pilot" action figure)

Abridon "Puppet" Soldier (android)

Expensive?  You betcha.  The Space Prisoner Astronaut is a whopping $40 for a FIGURE.  That's even cutting into my buying as I wanted to buy like 6 of those...  I cut it down to 3.  The Abridon Android is $29.99 which is meh, but these are the first army builders for the "enemy" team here, so that's cool.

The Laurel Corpse I've not yet pre-ordered.  I'm debating that one yet, but ultimately I'll maybe ask for it for my birthday since it's being released in that general time.  *shrugs*

The prices suck on that astronaut but it really does look like fun so I'm getting some of them.    The only thing about it that bugs me, besides that price, is the lack of distinctive deco on the cargo pod box/packaging.  I'd love to have seen an orange container to match the figure at least.  Simple grey, meh.  They've done different colors and decos on some so I'm hoping that doesn't stop completely and they go with just grey.  They're generic and all, and work well like that, but I'd rather something more specific.

Anyway, if you're interested please click the images above and order from site sponsor Entertainment Earth here at JD! :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:31 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2017, 06:40 PM »
Abridon Soldier is shipping now, and also now showing as "sold out" on EE...  God help ya if you didn't pre-order because secondary prices on ARW stuff are through the roof at this point.  He who hesitates masturbates.  I miss the old days of them reshipping stuff but right now it appears if you miss it, it's gone.   :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2017, 09:05 PM »
Got my Omanga Troopers from EE today...  $116 more or less for 4 figures, but hey, you buy what you like!

Here is one contemplating life I guess.  Was up at my shop and decided to snap some pics on the mine ruins.

PS: Yes I had an absolute blast playing with my GI Joes and Star Wars toys on these ruins when I was a kid.  Built-in playset more or less.  :D

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:06 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #114 on: April 4, 2017, 05:51 PM »
Acid Rain's popularity means stuff isn't lingering but with the CELEBR8 Code Jeff posted, I hopped on and bought a Mark I Speeder today.  It'd also knock a lot off a Quad Eyes, which I think if any of you bought one, you'd be hooked into this line in some capacity.  Vehicles look amazing with Rebel Troopers around them by the way. :P

The MkI Speeder isn't my fav vehicle this line has, but I only have one and having two will be quite nice.  If I had the $, I'd buy a third.  :-\

EE goes fast through Acid Rain because of free shipping and generally better prices than BBTS, despite BBTS generally getting more "nods" for some reason from the ARW public.  I never quite get that.  I mean I like the pile of loot as much as anyone but I'd rather have a better (or same) price and free shipping.  This is toying on a budget here, and ARW ain't cheap.

Oddly BBTS is miles cheaper on their Aliens Power Loader from Hiya, than EE...  Go figure.  :-\

I'm really amazed how fast this line's PREORDERS sell out.  Not just the in stock stuff, but now you can miss a figure completely before it even hits retail.  That sucks.  I'm now stocking up on Hong Kong options because they tend to have stock a little while at least.  I missed the Marine, and I have missed EVERY exclusive so far.  They sell for $300-ish now, so yeah, piss on that I guess.  Live without.  But still man, this stuff MOVES.  The market is there, despite it being a small line.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #115 on: December 1, 2017, 03:50 AM »
My CC has been smoked lately.  I got my "Space Prisoner" and Omanga Military Flame Trooper this past week... 

The Space Prisoner is a whole lot of plastic.  Reminds me, in terms of weight, of how Ephant Mon and Hermi Odle were just hefty figures beyond the normal scope of the line.  Unfortunately the astronaut figures are the most expensive too.  Hell to buy multiples or army build much, but this figure would look perfect wandering Mos Eisley too.  He's got the dirty and grimey Star Wars look plus a sci fi space suit.  He'd look cool working on an Imperial ship too.

Really awesome detail on the space prisoners too is they have individual unique numbers.

I got three, and all of them have unique prisoner ID numbers which appear multiple places on them (helmet, shoulder, backpack).  Pretty weird.  I'd love to see them do more with this sculpt as a space worker/rescue guy maybe, a soldier of some sort.  Basically the figure's backstory is Russia creates a space gulag of sorts.  These guys are sent there, and they do some kinda spacey work.  There is a scientist repaint of this figure coming soon too, all white uniform but equally filthy.

The Omanga Flame Trooper is obviously a dude with a flamethrower, but he's also a basic Omanga Trooper with a new head and new accessories.  He'd make a cool army builder as either.  I love the orange/black deco on him, which really stands out, but the accessories make the man.  The hose from the pack to the thrower is metal rope/chain.  It actually hangs nicely from the weight, and it looks perfect.  Most of the guys reviewing this seemed to miss that the thrower actually is made to clip to the side of the backpack too.  He can carry both weapons then, which is a nice touch.

I'm hoping to get a few more of these because I really like how this figure turned out more than I was thinking I would.

I also got, but didn't tweet a picture of, the Omanga "Reborn" Trooper...  If you're into RPG's, or even FPS gaming character classes, think of him as like a berserker or "tank" type character.  They're cyborgs, made from maimed Omanga soldiers who are turned into oversized, super strong, super soldiers with whats left of their bodies.  Again, over $30, but quite cool.  It's probably something I won't buy many of, as I feel like too many of them is goofy looking, but one or two per squad of basic infantry figures makes some sense to me.

The line's cost sucks, and getting their exclusives makes getting Hasbro ones look like a slice of pie...  They're actually highly limited stuff, and the entire line is basically holding or accruing in value to boot.  It makes throwing out any packaging a big no-no for me just in case I decide to sell some day.  It's a stresser on the old CC though, and paying off the balance after an order can basically kill my toy budget for a month in a matter of seconds.  Gonna be tough sledding when Star Wars gets more interesting for me in the future (assuming TVC is worth the interest).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #116 on: December 1, 2017, 03:56 AM »
In other Acid Rain News, a new vehicle was announced...

It's a variation of the MkI Speeder called the Amphista.  This is their smallest vehicle, but they beefed it up with extra weapons, a figure with a working backpack, and multiple weapons...  So it's a little more than the previous MkI Speeder Raptor.  The Amphista comes with two heavy machine guns mountable to the roll cage and removable, and it includes the large water-cooled gun.

The Speeder goes from a little quad to a small bi-pedal walker mode.  It looks cool as hell with some Rebel troopers flanking it, like some kind of little support walker for them.  The grime and stuff on the deco looks better with the Alliance than the Empire IMO.

Pre-order at site sponsor Entertainment Earth, if you're interested!  Acid Rain Mk I Speeder Amphista
« Last Edit: December 1, 2017, 03:57 AM by Jesse James »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2018, 09:06 PM »
Acid Rain keeps chugging along and pre-orders for their latest Laurel Mech are up.  A paratrooper version of the Marine Mech.

Acid Rain Laurel Airbourne w/Pilot

Sponsored link with EE btw.  $109.99 + Free Shipping

Love the Laurels and there are quite a few out now...  I'd like another worker but I'm waiting for the time being on another one of those.

This line accrues in value if you're thinking of diving in.  Not much I can think of that I have that isn't made anymore that hasn't spiked in value.  It's been a fairly sound investment as it's gained traction in popularity.  Never really look at toy collecting like that in the past, but this line it's been hard not to see the value of the stuff once it's out of production.  :-X

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2018, 12:36 AM »
It's a lady...  AMM Prospector

That's a nifty figure right there... probably going to buy one of those for dio filler - I like the helmet, very rebel tech-y.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2018, 01:40 PM »
Already have a preorder in for those troops and a 5 fig Marine Order.  Free shipping and they’re already less than bbts regular price I believe.