Author Topic: Mr. Black's Man Cave: makeover 2014  (Read 10 times)

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Mr. Black's Man Cave: makeover 2014
« on: July 22, 2014, 04:55 PM »
Back in 2008 I had this idea to seriously take on reorganizing my 'man cave'. It's my own little room, where I have my collection on display and where I practice the fine art of customizing. It's a small room of 2m. x 3m. (6ft. x 9ft.), but it's mine. Mine!

Fast forward six years and I've finally started the makeover! Here's a series of photos showing the progress.

These two 32" Billy cabinets feature part of my collection and some random stuff as well. It all looks a bit sloppy. I was never happy with the way the cabinets met in the corner, but due to the size restrictions of the room, there wasn't another way of placing them.

Panning to the left you can see my customzing space:

And here I've disassembled one of the grey Billy cabinets and assembled the first two of four 16" Billy cabinets:

Another Billy and a Benno CD case waiting to be assembled:

This shelf above my workbench has to go, otherwise I can't fit all the Billy cabinets:

I don't have a big collection, but man, even a small collection consists of a lot of stuff. I'm just glad all of my action figures are packed away in bins in the attic:

This is a quick setup of the first three Billys, enabling me to maximize the use of the corner. Of course, there's quite a bit of empty space behind the middle cabinet, but that can be used perfectly for hiding the wiring of the lighting inside the cabinets:

Here's a test fitting of the LED strips:

I'm not sure what looks best: one on top and one on the bottom shelf, or two on top and two on the bottom. If only one, should I place it in the back, middle or front?

My girlfriend mentioned finding a mural or wallpaper of a starfield and applying that to the back and/or inner sides of the cabinets.

Thoughts on which direction I should go from here?