Author Topic: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  (Read 43245 times)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 11:41 AM »
Bland is a pretty good description.  If I weren't so hopeful for how good it COULD be based on the Marvel backing, I'd have probably bailed on it.  Maybe that's why it reminded me of Heroes so much.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 05:11 PM »
There's definitely a lot of place-setting that took place in the first episode of Agents of SHIELD.  It's something that every television series is going to face, even with some of the storylines that have already been set up by the previous Marvel movies.  But the points of continuity between the films and the series are definitely going to help carry the show with fans of the movie universe.

The Coulson survival storyline is clearly far more complicated than even Coulson realizes.  I see a recurring storyline here.  And I also see a character development storyline happening with Agent Melinda May.  Her first scene just screamed foreshadowing.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 12:33 AM »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 12:19 PM »
Chloe Bennet = +1

I finally caught the premiere last night and thought it was great.  Coulson makes the show and the rest of the team are tolerable enough.  I liked that they went with an in-universe Extremis concept and hope we see more characters/storylines from the Marvel comics as the show goes on.  They set up a ton of plot lines in the first show, while still telling a compelling story and introducing a good sized cast - I'd give it an easy A for achieving all that in just an hour.  I didn't mind the Avengers references at all and the banter between the characters was excellent.  My only disappointment is that they seemed to form this sub-team of SHEILD that's off on its own.  I always thought of these guys in similar context to GI Joe, where there's big bases and command centers of agents all over to give it a bigger feel.  The 5-6 misfits out on their own feels more A-Teamish to me, but we'll see how it plays out.  Would be great to get some quick cameos from the bigger Marvel movies now and then and I hope they work towards that.  It's a great way to promote the show and gain new viewers, while also driving publicity for the movie. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 07:55 AM »
Is any sticking with the Agents of SHIELD?  My son and I have enjoyed the show but I worry that it is not going to have enough general appeal. It seems to be losing ratings each week. I suspect ABC has poured too much into it to kill it early but I hope it survives.  I think references and cameos to the other parts of the franchise will help.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 01:52 PM »
It's official. 'Marvel's Agents of SHIELD' gets full season order

ABC’s Tuesday night heroes are sticking around for a full season as Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is getting a full season order. ABC has picked up the back-nine episodes to round out a full traditional 22-episode season.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 01:58 PM »
I'm loving SHIELD.  I thought yesterday's was the best yet.  I'm starting to actually like the hacker chick.  I felt some real "moments" while watching the latest one.  It has the feel to me of a series that'll build into something really special.

The ratings have dropped, but it's still even for the top show of the night.

Here's a decent interview about the series:
http://www.hitfix.com/news/agents-of-shield-not-sweating-second-episode-ratings-drop#~ojTble5XuvViV0

Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 06:15 AM »
The hacker girl is definitely part of why i keep watching. She has the very cute look. I agree it could benefit from some super heroes though.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 02:56 PM »
Skye is definitely meant to be the eye candy.  Although I find myself checking out Simmons and May more than her. 

The show has definitely been building slowly.  Maybe a little too slowly for some viewers.  This weeks episode was another place-setter for somewhere down the road, as is the mysterious Coulson story.  We do have a couple of Marvel movies on tap over the next year.  And I do suspect that there's the possibility of tie-ins preceding the release of the new Thor and Captain America movies.

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 02:04 PM »
Finally watched this week's episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..  It's nice to see some people with actual powers in the mix.  When I saw the previews for this week's episode I almost thought "Are they going to do a story about Sunfire?" given the pyro-kinetic powers of this particular character.  But I was a little surprised to see that they're continuing on with the Extremis plotline from the first episode of the season.

The one point in the show that was a nice nod to Marvel lore?  The two guys in firesuits who apprehend Scorch.  Sure, from a story standpoint they're wearing the suits to protect themselves.  But those suits were also a big callback to AIM in the comics.  Especially since it was AIM that was behind Extremis in Iron Man 3.

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 02:29 PM »
The writers and producers of that show are ashamed of their roots, I am now convinced.

They're frigging comic books, not lost chapters of the Bible. Don't take yourselves so seriously. You're not going to lose 50% of the viewing audience at the first sight of spendex or a cape. It's not enough to give guys clever names, they need a suit and a scheme.

Instead we get schmoes, scientists, and girls in flowery dresses. Big fat hairy deal.

It's not a bad show, just not nearly as good as it could be by injecting the same stuff that made Avengers so wildly popular. In the comics, SHIELD was regularly interacting with super powered heroes and villains.

Red Ronin FTW!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 02:47 PM »
I thought they might drop the Sunfire name as well... but then he couldn't really turn evil and explode like he did.

I wonder if the show has any rights at all to Mutants.  So many Marvel supes are genetic mutations that if they can't use them it ties their hands.  I guess they can't really introduce anybody who might eventually show up in an X-men or FF film.

Here's hoping for Skye in even fewer clothes next week!

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 09:53 AM »

Wowsers.

I think that the lack of costumes and capes makes sense in the "universe" they have created here.  Plus, no one working surreptitiously would wear a flashy costume, so it makes sense that the Extremis people act this way.

I never really thought of it, but can the Disney Marvel Movie Universe even mention genetic mutation at all, much less any character who's powers are derived this way?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 10:14 AM »
I could watch that GIF for hours...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 11:12 AM »
Why isn't that picture in the Top 5 hotties?

Reading her bio, this show is really her first real acting gig. She seems to be a Chinese pop star. I always thought she was a Latina.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours