Author Topic: Power Outage  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Power Outage
« on: August 14, 2003, 05:07 PM »
Sounds like large portions of the US and Canada are without power right now.  Hope this isn't the start of something bad :-\

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Re: Power Outage
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 05:39 PM »
Hope it doesn't get worse.

I feel a population explosion within the next ten months.
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 05:42 PM »
LOL, honey power is out now what do we dO?  :-*

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 06:06 PM »
Wouldn't be the first time. Last time NYC had a power outage there was a serious spike in population. This is affecting even more people.

Ironic that a possible act of terrorism might actually spawn more capitalist bastards.  ;D
Post sober.

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 06:22 PM »
My power went out as well. My cable modem service is currently out still, I'm coming to you via my AOL Dial Up account and is it ever slooow. ;) :-* This is the first time this computer has ever dialed up to the internet, it was funny to hear the modem dialing again. heh

Hopefully all of this is over now.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 08:44 PM »
I can't believe what I've been seeing on TV in New York.  People walking on the highways because of the traffic lights not working.  Streets just packed with people.  Glad I'm not out there right now.
dustrho

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2003, 09:05 PM »
I hope that the people are all safe. Hopefully this will be over soon. Anybody know what caused the power outage?

It's so stupid of the media keep thinking that this is a Terrorist attack. ****ing retards! Terrorists don't cut off power! They do evil things like crash planes into buildings and blow people up! What a bunch of morons. This is not a 9/11 part two, so stop comparing it to a power outage!

CNN has even come up with an official promo and animation: Blackout 2003. ::)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2003, 09:22 PM »
Terrorists causing blackouts, Blackout 2003...

Every time I hear that, I feel like Lisa Simpson:

(Internal Monologue) "I know, I heard it too. Here's some music to listen to"
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 10:18 PM »
I just really hope that some of our more "upstanding" citizens don't take advantage of this and start looting and causing unnecessary trouble.  

As far as the media,  they really need to watch how they use the "T" word before they really cause a panic one day which leads to an uneccessary tragedy.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2003, 05:33 PM »
Well, the power outage has been interesting, to say the least, here in the NYC area.  And it seems that people have been handling it in stride.  No reports of any appreciable violence or looting.  More often than not, stories of people helping one another out.

As for all the people on the roadways, they were all just walking home to the outer boroughs.  Some across the Brooklyn Bridge, others across the Manhattan bridge, and so on.  The only people who appeared to be in any peril were those on the upper floors of high-rise buildings (it's a long walk down), those on the subways, or people in elevators.

The more interesting story seems to be the passing of the buck on who was responsible for the power outage.  WHERE DID THIS START?  And why is the system this vulnerable, and in some cases antiquated?

As for the terrorism word being thrown around...who's to say it wasn't, at least initially?  Did anyone really know?  And after September 11th, which was so terribly unthinkable, who wouldn't jump to that conclusion?  Especially in light of recent threats and warnings.

If anything, there was a positive outcome to this.  It showed that the people of New York can rise to the occassion again.  The people  knew what to do in the event of an emergency, and handled themselves brilliantly.  They helped out their fellow New Yorkers, and stood together in the face of adversity.  Even though it stunk to have the lights and air conditioning out for a little while, it's challenges like these that make me proud to be a New Yorker.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2003, 08:43 PM »
I hope that the people are all safe. Hopefully this will be over soon. Anybody know what caused the power outage?

It's so stupid of the media keep thinking that this is a Terrorist attack. ****ing retards! Terrorists don't cut off power! They do evil things like crash planes into buildings and blow people up! What a bunch of morons. This is not a 9/11 part two, so stop comparing it to a power outage!

CNN has even come up with an official promo and animation: Blackout 2003. ::)

There still is the possiblity that this was a terror attack since no one knows what happend and where it happened.  As to thbe reasoning why a terror group would do something like this it could be a number of reason such as just to create fear in the population, damage the enconmy of this country, or to see  where people go when power is off  to pin point targets for a real terror attack when yo decide to turn the lights/power off again.  Watching all of those people at the ferry docks could be something a terrioist would like 200,000+ people crowed together.    Also this may just be a step to see if they can cut the power to most of the country which would really mess things up.  
  But until I hear differently this wasn't a terrioist attack but seems it could of been if nothing turns up to what happen.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2003, 09:35 PM »
I have to agree with Nick and Darth Kenobi, that they shouldn't automatically rule out terrorism that might have cuased it.  They don't have a friggin' clue as to where it originated from, so how the hell can they rul out terrorism?  I first heard it was caused by lightning (lame excuse), and then I heard it happened by Niagra Falls, and now they're thinking somewhere in Ohio?  Terrorism, in my eyes, should still be a possibility for all the headaches this blackout caused.

If it was just a simple mistake, then why can't they figure out how it happened or where it originated?  Or how could this actually happen... don't they have backup plans??  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
dustrho

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2003, 11:03 PM »
Another note on the terrioism side of it, in California we were already hit by cyber terrioist with our power stations a few years ago, which caused a large black out in California.  They said it was a over load but then eventually traced it back to someone hacking in to the system that was in China.  So it may not be Al Qeid but another group that want to see this and other countries fail because of beliefs.

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2003, 11:21 PM »
Wouldn't be the first time. Last time NYC had a power outage there was a serious spike in population. This is affecting even more people.

Urban legend alert

http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/blackout.htm
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 11:23 PM by Sith Lord Cosmo »
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2003, 12:51 AM »
I remember hearing this on the Evil Radio while I was out on whatever day it happened.

The FIRST thing they said was that it wasn't a terrorist act. IMO, they're giving those f***tards way too much credit. They'd sooner kill people than inconvenience them, the bastards.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk