Author Topic: Rogue One (SPOILERS)  (Read 141573 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue One (SPOILERS)
« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2016, 10:15 AM »
As someone who had no interest in this movie initially, what a trailer! Looks like this should satisfy everyone's thirst for non-Jedi side characters in the Star Wars universe.

I initially hated that design for the U-Wing... still think it's a dumb design for a starfighter, but as a dropship? Awesome, especially when you factor in the SDCC behind the scenes footage and that short alien going crazy with the turret gun.

I agree with the whole EU feel too... definitely feels like something out of a video game, or even Rebels... a small city on top of a cliff, Star Destroyers in the sky... can't wait!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2016, 10:59 AM »

This isn't a very authentic looking Star Wars movie. No way this narrow platform high up in the air would have a railing around it
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2016, 11:09 AM »
I like what I've seen so far.  Gareth Edwards seems to be hitting the right notes in terms of capturing the classic OT aesthetic of the Imperials, but the filmmaking techniques are obviously far more up to date.  And it's attention to those details like

I also like the covert ops nature in which these Rebels are conducting themselves.  That really seems to be the way they would need to conduct themselves in order to operate under the noses of an oppressive force like the Empire.

Jedah is very interesting.  I've seen some writers describe the locale like something out of the Ottoman Empire.  And seeing that walled city atop that butte/hill?  It made me think of Masada in Israel!  I'm liking the concept of broadening our knowledge of The Force, and that it serves as something of a galactic faith.  The high temple at the one end of the city looks intriguing!

Having seen that wide shot of the Jedah city, it definitely looks like those 4 winged shuttles are some sort of heavy cargo carriers.  And given some of the backstory about Riz Ahmed's character, Bodie Rook?  I'm thinking that his ship, which I think is called the Raven Deluxe, may actually be one of these 4 winged shuttles.  You also can't help but think that both Baze Malbus and Chirrut Imwe are a couple of badasses!

And that final shot? Yes!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2016, 11:34 AM »
Love the trailer!  This movie has a cool dirty dozen vibe to it.  I hope that they do more anthology movies like this in the future, but further removed from the main movies.  Not everything has to revolve around the Death Star.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2016, 12:01 PM »
Love the trailer!  This movie has a cool dirty dozen vibe to it.  I hope that they do more anthology movies like this in the future, but further removed from the main movies.  Not everything has to revolve around the Death Star.

I also like the fact this this movie isn't a backstory spinoff of some main character. 

I think they can have more success with a movie like this than they can with a Han Solo or Kenobi flick just because there will be far fewer constraints on the characters and plot.  There is far less canon to maneuver through.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 12, 2016, 12:13 PM »
In the case of this movie I have to wonder about that whole canon navigation aspect.  Because we do have some OT characters popping back up.  Vader is the biggest of them all, clearly.  And there were the reports that they were going to have a digital version of Grand Moff Tarkin in this movie.

There's also the matter of what Jimmy Smits is calling his "cameo" as Bail Organa.  Mon Mothma is in the mix, albeit played by the actor who played her in Episode III.  And it looks like there's one Rebel officer who bears a striking resemblance to General Jan Dodonna.  Plus, with the movie ending some 10 or 15 minutes before the opening of A NEW HOPE, I wonder if we can expect to see the plans "beamed" to the Tantive IV by the Rebel spies that Vader described during his interrogation of Leia.

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #186 on: August 12, 2016, 12:49 PM »
I think there's a huge possibility for some major cameos. The Emperor is the biggest one I'm hoping for. I think there's some real hope for that since we've already seen the royal guards in a previous trailer. I'd love to see Ian McDiarmid again. Leia is another one that I think is likely given the events in the film, along with 3-P0 and R2, if we actually get on to the Tantive IV.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 12, 2016, 03:55 PM »
I just watched the trailer again because I've had a theory about Alistair Petrie's Rebel Officer character.  People seem to be wondering if his character has some measure of significance.  His jacket in particular has made me wonder... is this Captain Antilles?  But I made a point of freeze-framing the trailer and making some comparisons from Antilles to Petrie's officer.  The jackets are different, and so is the rank insignia.  Both of them seem to have 5 dot rank insignia, but on Petrie's coat they're red in color, and on Antilles' jacket they're blue.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #188 on: August 13, 2016, 10:27 AM »
I don't mind Mon Mothma or the other cameos in this movie.  The movie isn't centered around Mon Mothma, Bail Organa or anyone else.  As far as the first of the anthology movies, I'm ok with them taking a half step away from the main saga...although, I still like that opening mission in Dark Forces where Kyle Katarn steals the Death Star Plans.

In all honestly, I'm looking forward to Darth Vader's role in this movie because we can finally see him being a dark side of the force wielding badass!

Hopefully, after Rogue One, I'm hoping for more larger universe stuff.  Give me a 47 Ronin style move about Jedi who survived Order 66 not named Kenobi or Yoda!  Give me a Magnificent Seven set in the Star Wars universe!  These wouldn't take a whole lot of effort to write and they are practically a license to print money!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 02:37 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2016, 01:14 PM »
He'll I figure you can still BS the DF story in there somehow.  Maybe it's not plans for the DS but just a schematic of the super laser, and that leads up to this.  EU always needed crowbarred in half the time as it was so I figure it still can be. :)

Maybe Gen. Rohm Mohc's droid obsession made the imperial droid design from Rogue one even.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2016, 11:44 PM »
http://yakfaceforums.com/main/2016/08/15/new-dialogue-and-footage-in-rogue-one-international-trailer/

Jayson posted the international trailer which has additional shots and dialogue, some of which could be considered uber spoilery.  You've been warned.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 18, 2016, 01:06 PM »
The Beastie Boy's Sabotage works really well for Rogue One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMmiNeVrbDk

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 18, 2016, 02:07 PM »
The Beastie Boy's Sabotage works really well for Rogue One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMmiNeVrbDk

I remember watching Sense and Sensibility with my wife years ago.  Painful stuff.   A Beastie Boys soundtrack would have made that movie infinitely better.  Everything goes better with The Beastie Boys.  :P
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:08 PM by Dave »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #193 on: August 18, 2016, 05:52 PM »
Wow that did work extremely well.  Even the emergency clangs.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2016, 10:45 AM »
It looks like George got into the editing room of Rogue One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IcjLG_VfNg