Author Topic: Rogue One (SPOILERS)  (Read 139836 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Rogue One (SPOILERS)
« Reply #345 on: December 29, 2016, 09:07 AM »
I thought about that too, and maybe it's just rationalizing it too much or something, but my thought was they come out of hyper space, and wanted to fire on the planet as soon as they could, and ultimately they wound up getting it at the best angle they could to immediately fire and destroy, but not an angle that allowed a top-down shot like on Jedha.

Just a thought...  or the one that helps me rationalize that anyway.

I just figured they let a Stormtrooper aim that shot.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #346 on: December 29, 2016, 12:42 PM »
+1

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #347 on: December 29, 2016, 03:15 PM »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 29, 2016, 09:20 PM »
And speaking of Spaceballs, I find it oddly satisfying that the "Shield Gate" subplot had already been spoofed thirty years in advance...

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 30, 2016, 09:26 AM »
I saw it for a second time a few nights ago (at the IMAX Theater) and I really enjoyed it a lot more on a second viewing. And it's not like I hated it or anything the first time.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 30, 2016, 10:07 AM »
I'd say Tarkin was trying to stop the transmission from beaming off planet as fast as he could to keep the rebels from obtaining the DS plans.  So he aimed for the dish because it was in range first (?).  It also allowed the drama at the end as well.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 2, 2017, 10:19 AM »
What if the plan was to hit the tower to stop the transmission and potentially save the rest of the data stored in the tower?  If they hit the tower directly, all the information stored there is wiped out.  If they hit the ocean, they likely take out the Rebels, but it's possible that some of the tower would survive intact.  It seems like there was a lot of other really important classified information beyond just the DS plans in that tower.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 2, 2017, 12:40 PM »
If your going to do that why not just have a star destroyer bomb the tower from orbit? It would be more accurate and faster. Using the death star to destroy the tower is like using a nuclear bomb to blow up a fly.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 2, 2017, 01:02 PM »
If your going to do that why not just have a star destroyer bomb the tower from orbit? It would be more accurate and faster. Using the death star to destroy the tower is like using a nuclear bomb to blow up a fly.

Per my post just above yours, maybe they were intending to preserve the tower if possible.  A star destroyer bombing would have likely taken the whole tower out.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #354 on: January 2, 2017, 03:08 PM »
I think the intent was to destroy the entire base. Going to see it again tomorrow so I'll listen close at that bit, but pretty sure Tarkin meant to wipe out the entire base and everything in it (plans) to prevent any leaks.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 2, 2017, 03:52 PM »
If that's the case, why not just hit the self destruct for the base?  It would be silly to have that vast knowledge center and not have any fallback plans in place beyond the shield.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #356 on: January 2, 2017, 03:55 PM »
Well going back to the earlier conversation in the thread - why not just blow the whole planet? Why the odd (but dramatically convenient) shot that strikes the tower before hitting what appears to be pointless real estate miles away from the base? None of it makes a whole lot of sense except the movie needed to have Krennic eat it (nuke dropped on fly) and Jyn/Cassian die slow and sad.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 2, 2017, 05:47 PM »
I think the shot was close enough to wipe the tower out anyway, just like how Saw bought it on Jedha.  Perhaps Tarkin didn't have an angle to directly hit the tower but take out the array?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 2, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Personally, I don't think you'd fire from space to take out the top of the tower.  That seems like a ridiculously difficult and narrow shot without a lot of purpose.  Destroying the entire planet doesn't make a lot of sense either given it's Imperial controlled.  I thought there was some dialogue about having to charge the laser longer to completely destroy a planet, so they might not have had the time.  If the data was that sensitive, you'd have a way to just self destruct the station itself and it would be far faster to just hail the base commander to initiate self destruct than fly the Death Star there. 

Whether intentional or not, a plausible explanation is that they didn't want to destroy all of the data housed in the vault.  A DS shot into the ocean would create a tidal wave strong enough to wipe out all of the ground troops causing them problems, while the incoming ships could deal with the fleet.  The shot narrowly hitting the tip of the tower could be just coincidental impact of the angle they used while firing into the water, but poetic justice for Krennic. 

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 3, 2017, 09:20 AM »
It was more likely this:

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours