Author Topic: Rogue One (SPOILERS)  (Read 139887 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Rogue One (SPOILERS)
« Reply #360 on: January 3, 2017, 07:53 PM »
I think the shot was close enough to wipe the tower out anyway, just like how Saw bought it on Jedha.  Perhaps Tarkin didn't have an angle to directly hit the tower but take out the array?

This has been my theory...  The DS comes outta hyper space, they likely aren't in the exact position to make the shot and the DS doesn't appear to zip along at sublight, so  it takes them a certain amount of time to set up their shot.  Time appears to be of the essence in some way too.  Tarkin wants the leak sealed, orders the "quicker" (assuming) shot of just firing one reactor at the base as soon as they can.  The angle comes in view, they take it, it isn't "direct" but it is the first shot they can take to destroy it, and it does...  but it was too late anyway, and the plans were already up and on their way out basically.  The Devastator (assuming) arrives, blockades what it can, but the final sequence takes place and they're off and running to ANH's timeline.

Huzzah.

I like the notion that the DS's firing can go faster if you use less reactors to do it, but that in general the entire process is relatively slow.  Even at Endor, they're not pew pew pew picking off capital ships, and I'm betting those aren't full power shots like at Alderaan, but rather single reactor shots on smaller-ish targets.  One that can hit a slow moving target like a capital ship but can't pick off anything with great pinpoint accuracy either.  I'd think that factors in.  This isn't a scalpel after all.

Jedha they're directly above the city, just turn the dish down on it, badaboom...  they had all day basically, but they also probably left quite a few people to escape who saw the writing on the wall I'd bet.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 4, 2017, 09:26 PM »
I'm glad to see someone else noticed the single reactor mentions (by both Krennic as well as Tarkin) regarding the Death Star firing sequence.  And it makes it seem quite clear that the Death Star was not firing at full power.  Which also ties in with Tarkin's ANH dialogue when he tells Leia that the Alderaan demonstration would show off the battle station in a fully operational capacity.

During the operation at Jedha the Death Star seems to be in a relatively low orbit when it fired on Jedha city.  The same goes for Scarif.  I think that the Death Star was probably not completely ready for a full power firing of the super laser, but single reactor firing sequences were possible. 

But in ANH it appeared that the Death Star was at a considerable distance from Alderaan, as well as from Yavin IV.  That seems like it was intended to be a safe distance for complete planetary destruction.  And from looking at the viewscreen image of Alderaan from the Death Star overbridge, they appear to be at a distance that's at least comparable to the orbit of our moon.

And I think that the Empire very likely wanted word to get out following the destruction at Jedha.  It was a message to the galaxy.  The destruction of Alderaan?  Tarkin intended for that to be an even bigger message.

So far I've only seen ROGUE ONE one time.  I didn't notice that the top of the Citadel was taken out when Tarkin fired on Scarif.  But I think that the intent was to take out the entire facility in an effort to conceal some of the Death Star's secrets that were stored there. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #362 on: January 4, 2017, 10:31 PM »
Having seen it again the other day, Tarkin says: "Target the base at Scarif. Single reactor ignition." So the intent is to destroy the base wholesale, which does make the way the shot is delivered odd, unless the base is so vast that some of it is located off in the horizon there but again, this is all to justify what is dramatically necessary.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #363 on: January 4, 2017, 11:53 PM »
Perhaps they just targeted to the point where the blast would take out the base.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 5, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Could it be that the shot was angled due to the debris? The Jedha explosion looked like it went all the way up into the atmosphere, and might have hit the Death Star.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 5, 2017, 11:21 AM »
Check out this piece that ran on ABC's Nightline.  ILM's John Knoll sat down with ABC News to talk about bringing Grand Moff Tarkin and other characters back for ROGUE ONE.

BTW, in the Nightline package Tarkin has a key piece of dialogue where he says "The original plans for this station are kept there, are they not?"  So it seems that destroying the entire Scarif Citadel facility is precisely what Tarkin intends to do when he fires on the planet.

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 5, 2017, 12:32 PM »
If you read the novel, Tarkin’s intent is definitely to destroy the base.  He feels the tropical nature of the moon makes those stationed there lax in their duties and very incompetent, like it’s an early retirement: the General in charge of Scarif Citadel (Ramda) has allowed the Rebels to infiltrate the moon and into the Citadel, the admiral in charge of the fleet apparently has lost the battle above the moon (seeing that 2 Star Destroyers are gone along with the defense shield), and Krennic has allow severe security breaches underneath his nose that are unforgivable to Tarkin.  He sees destroying the Citadel as the most viable option and removing several weak links within the Empire.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #367 on: January 6, 2017, 05:54 PM »
Haven't seen much mention of the score here but I thought the theme presented which is "Jyn Erso" according to the Soundtrack sounds really similar to Across the Stars from AOTC.  In fact I kept waiting for the melody to come each time the Jyn theme played during RO...I really liked the score though to this and Giacchino is more than ready to take the torch if/when Williams decides to pass it on

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 7, 2017, 07:08 PM »
Haven't seen much mention of the score here but I thought the theme presented which is "Jyn Erso" according to the Soundtrack sounds really similar to Across the Stars from AOTC.  In fact I kept waiting for the melody to come each time the Jyn theme played during RO...I really liked the score though to this and Giacchino is more than ready to take the torch if/when Williams decides to pass it on

I have to agree with you about the quality of Giacchhino's work with the musical score for Rogue One  :). I've been enjoying listening to the soundtrack over the past few weeks.  His main themes (Hope, Imperial March, etc.) are great additions to the Star Wars musical compendium but He also showed a lot of skill intertwining John William's classical Star Wars themes into the new score.  Williams used the Wagnerian leitmotif technique with his scores - basically using a certain musical theme to represent a character, idea, or action - and Giacchino used the same technique to quite good effect.  I mean, it just wouldn't be right if the classic Darth Vader/Imperial March theme did not play when Darth Vader entered the room during his confrontation with Krennic, for example.  But the use of certain Star Wars musical themes was even more subtle in the Rogue One score such as the flare of the Rebel Fanfare when R2D2 and C3PO make their cameo and you even hear the original theme for Vader from the ANH score and even some of the same string instrumentation heard onboard the Tantive IV from ANH.  Overall, I am just well-pleased with the Rogue One soundtrack- as well as the entire movie overall  ;D
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 10, 2017, 01:46 PM »
Question about the soundtrack.  Does it have any of Saw Gererra's theme in it?  I looked at the track listings but I didn't see anything that might have it.  Thanks!

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 13, 2017, 02:09 PM »
I saw it twice, and am having a hard time liking it.  :'(

It just didn't "feel" like Star Wars. I sorely missed the opening crawl and music. The way the planets were labeled on the screen was weird. The cameos seemed forced (e.g., Evazan, Threepio and Artoo). Vader looked weird and walked differently, like he almost had a hop in his step. Vader's "castle" seemed like something from Batman, complete with butler. The score was underwhelming and forgettable. Leia was completely wrong at the end and unnecessary. She seemed too gleeful when she answered that the plans were "hope." Plus, she looked too CGI. I would have preferred just showing her silhouette from behind, since we ALL know what ship that is and who's on it. When Vader starts cutting up the rebels, I found that also unnecessary. He would just have his troopers board the ship ahead of him and shoot the rebels, like at the beginning of ANH. The characters were okay, but forgettable. Cassian was hard to understand and seemed kind of like a jerk. He and Jyn embracing and almost kissing at the end was dumb and forced. I wanted more Galen Erso. He seemed like the most interesting character. What's the big deal about the Death Troopers? Black with different helmets, but still inept.

But I did like some things. Even though he was CGI, Tarkin was great. He is so integral to the first Death Star, that he was necessary for this movie. I like also that he essentially just steals the DS from Crennic. The battle in space at the end was excellent. I really enjoyed that part. Jedha was cool, but I wanted SO much more of it. The ships were great; TIE Strikers, U-Wings, etc.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 13, 2017, 03:37 PM »
I keep hearing the Vader complaint on him cutting down the Rebel Troopers.  First of all, isn't this what we haven't wanted for years?  We finally get to see Vader kicking butt on screen.  As for practicality, in Rogue One the Rebels have just stolen the Death Star plans, but have not had to analyze them.  If Vader manages to get them back, the Alliance gains nothing.  Time is of the essence, hence why Vader is doing it himself.  If the Rebels escape, they can get the plans to Alliance leadership.  In ANH, Vader has captured the Tantive IV and has disabled it.  It isn't going anywhere.  The Rebels are not going to escape.  He can take his time so he sends in the Stormtroopers to pick off the Rebels.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 13, 2017, 05:01 PM »
I saw it twice, and am having a hard time liking it.  :'(

It just didn't "feel" like Star Wars.

Some guys at my work had the same impression... I didn't get it.  To me it felt as much like Star Wars as anything.  My best theory for the disconnect between me and the other gents at the office is that I read like 60 of the novels when I was younger, so my Star Wars universe is a lot larger than their's... Not that he's actually racist, but I think the new Star Wars' focus on multi-cultural characters takes him out of it, as does the idea of planets that aren't the type we're used to.  He hated the palm trees for example... I didn't care because to me the Star Wars universe is massive.  I did think that basically putting Zatoichi into the film was a bit of a stretch.

Given the imperial presence, I actually felt like it felt more like Star Wars than anything other than the OT, but that's just me I guess.  I liked it a lot.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 13, 2017, 05:30 PM »
I finally got a second screening in yesterday.  And this time around I was able to pick up on more of the easter eggs.  Spotting the Ghost on Yavin IV as well as during the space battle was great.  I missed Chopper making his way around the base, but that's not a major tragedy.  It was also good to hear that page for GENERAL Syndulla.

The lack of the crawl wasn't quite as jarring this time around.  I noticed it a good deal more on my first screening, but maybe since I was better prepared for there being no crawl or the opening fanfare I was ready to get right into the prologue.

I was also able to pay more attention to the score, too.  There were plenty of nods to John Williams work in there.  Some of the music during Jyn and Cassian's fight with the Stormtroopers on Jedha sounded like it could have been from an OT movie and probably would have worked in one of the Indiana Jones movies, too.  I also noticed the one theme that was similar to "Across the Stars".  It was not just your impression, Scott, because it hit me very much the same way.

I was also able to pay attention to the moment when the transmission tower on Scarif got vaporized.  Based on where the beam struck in the water, I get the sense that the tower was not specifically targetted.  That shot just had to be within a reasonable proximity of the Scarif base and would have annihilated it either way.

I definitely liked seeing OT Vader in action on Admiral Raddus's ship.  Some of his fighting style actually looks like some of the Vader vs Rebels videos that were used to demo Battlefront.  It made me wonder if the Battlefront developers got a look at ROGUE ONE in the process of developing Vader for the game.  One thing that surprised/confused me?  The interior of Raddus's ship looked strikingly like that of the Tantive IV.  While the interior of almost any Imperial facility looks similarly stylized, I always thought that Rebel Alliance craft might not be quite as standardized.  So when the Rebel troopers made their way from the Profundity into the Tantive IV, there really was no indication that they had gone from one ship into another.  At least until after that hatch had been closed and Gareth Edwards (in his role as a Rebel Fleet Trooper) disengaged the docking clamp and the Tantive IV broke away.  My one quibble with this situation?  Vader enters that docking bay just in time to see the Tantive IV breaking away, and his cape is billowing.  In space.

My only other continuity question?  C-3PO and R2-D2 are on Yavin IV as the Rebel fleet is scrambling for Scarif.  The Profundity had presumably already left, since that one Rebel technician reports to Mon Mothma, General Merrick and Bail Organa that Raddus has left for his ship.  Maybe I'm just getting too tied up in the process, and the Rebel fleet had sometime to assemble in Yavin orbit before making the jump to hyperspace, but all in all I think that might be minor stuff.

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #374 on: January 13, 2017, 06:13 PM »
I thought about the R2/3-PO thing. Very close to being a major continuity error. You could argue the ship hadn't left yet but I want to say someone informed Mothma he had already. Maybe he was about to.