Author Topic: 50th Anniversary Line  (Read 7815 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
50th Anniversary Line
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Looks like the upcoming 50th Anniversary Line is going to be available at Big Bad Toy Store as well as TRU.

No idea how BBTS's prices will compare to TRUs, just thought I'd share lthe link for those looking for another option.  ;) 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 50th Anniversary Line
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:49 PM »
I pre-ordered one of everything, and I'm sure I'll still grab more when they hit TRU. The prices are extremely reasonable, especially for the 3-packs and Danger at the Docks. The packaging turned out nicely as well.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 01:08 AM »
While I'm happy to see these on BBTS, or any online retailer for that matter, I have to wonder why?  Did TRU decide not to take the full load and Hasbro needed another outlet?  Or did Hasbro decide TRU didn't have the reach and didn't want to leave money on the table?

The skeptic in me wants to see this as happening due to something possibly not working out with TRU in the way it was first set up by Hasbro.  But, who knows...

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:03 AM »
I'm just happy I don't have to go to Walgreens...After 6-7 months of ZERO Joes on the pegs they're now packed to the gills.  There's also such a tiny space given to this line.

Also the majority of their Kreo-o lines aren't moving - at least at my store.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:43 AM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 02:13 PM »
Reminds me of the last wave of Legacy/BAD figures...  It went from TRU only to TRU & Online shared iirc...  I feel like it is TRU saying we'll order X, and Hasbro realizing they'll have more that TRU may not re-order, so they offered them to online retailers who jumped at it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 06:54 PM »
I ordered my set, I'm more disappointed that the classic deco Flint is not available.

This is most likely the last of the retail Joes for the foreseeable future.

The mood at the Joe Con was pretty low with Hasbro completely skipping the show.

The saddest part was the 12 in collectors and RAH era collectors basically looking at the 25th/ME guys and saying... "Yup, welcome to the club"...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 11:49 PM »
I was wondering, where is the Lady Jaye/Baroness pack? And while we're at it, looks like the Snow Job/BAT set is missing too.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 09:45 AM »
Apparently there's a wave 2....  Yeah... Good luck with that.  ::)

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 6, 2014, 04:59 PM »
http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/gi-joe-featured-auctions-16/gijoe-50th-anniversary-merchandise-spotted-on-ebay-13145/

They've hit ebay finally. Hopefully, these are factory rejects, because Leatherneck and Lady Jaye are looking pretty naff. Though it's good to see that the wave 2 stuff is getting produced.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 6, 2014, 10:03 PM »
http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/gi-joe-featured-auctions-16/gijoe-50th-anniversary-merchandise-spotted-on-ebay-13145/

They've hit ebay finally. Hopefully, these are factory rejects, because Leatherneck and Lady Jaye are looking pretty naff. Though it's good to see that the wave 2 stuff is getting produced.

At this point I'm used to having to look thru quite a few figures to find near-perfect paint, especially on the faces. The missing camo paint apps on Leatherneck and lack of extra details on the Viper are much more disappointing. It would be nice if the final products look better (like the press images from BBTS/TRU online)  but I won't hold my breath.

The Arctic BAT vs. Shipwreck set is looking terrific though. I love that Hasbro packed in the sweet SAW machine gun from Ultimate Roadblock.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 3, 2014, 02:23 PM »
Picked up the Eagle's Edge and Heated Battle sets this weekend. Really disappointed in them.

I got my pick of paint apps, and did the best I could, but when I got them open, I discovered stuck joints and loose legs on Leatherneck and Destro, the only reasons I bought this stuff. The HEAT Viper I got fared OK, but there's a lot of missing paint in the purple areas, and the orange/yellow is a different shade from torso to arms/legs to head.

Pretty miserable showing for the 50th Anniversary, and I guess I figured how Hasbro managed to sell 3 figures for $20.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 5, 2014, 01:29 AM »
I got my Danger at the Docks set from TRU, the SDCC set.  I haven't opened it yet but I was happy to be able to order it.  You can see that the paint apps on Flint, at least, are a little sketchy, especially the arms.

I stopped in TRU on Saturday and they had three of the Heat Viper sets but that was it.  Looked like they were in the middle of a reset and I didn't bother to ask if they had more because, well, I just don't want to ask and be told "what we have is on the shelf" which I'm batting 1000 on at TRU during the last 20 years of collecting.

I'm less than impressed with what Hasbro is doing for the 50th because it's the 50th of the 12" line anyway and they did **** in that department.  ****'em.  I was happy with some extra $5 Retaliation figs from Five Below.

E...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: August 5, 2014, 08:17 PM »
I tried to look for GIJ and more but apparently my TRU flooded the other day haha.  Hope it washed away some of their shelf warmers.  I've had little reason to stop in any store for quite a while. :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 12:58 PM »
EE Daily Deal - 25% off 50th Anniversary 2-Packs.

Maybe my brain is just screwed up from all the price hikes, but $22.50 for 4 super-articulated, well accessorized figures seems like highway robbery at this point.  I'm tempted to buy one of each just for the accessories.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:58 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 02:10 PM »
50th Anniversary?!  Wow I'm getting old.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today